Brunswick ebony merry widow...value?

kbooks3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know a lot about these kinds of cues as I've not seen one quite like this one..I'd like to get an approximate age and value?..and whether I should put a wrap on it?...I do have some solid off white linen..but like to show this cue is all ebony with an ivory joint and ferrule..at 23 oz..this thing is a beast!

Thanks,

Jeremy

Click link below to view pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YZhMhbWFDxTcLDEX2

Last edited:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Just look at that thing. That's the first one I think I've seen on here. I'm sure someone will let you know all about it. I like the case too.

kbooks3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just look at that thing. That's the first one I think I've seen on here. I'm sure someone will let you know all about it. I like the case too.

Thanks...I haven't found out much yet..just members that want to buy it. Maybe someone will step up..I'm told it's from the 1940's...

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's stunning. I don't think I have ever seen one before.

No idea of what it might be worth but especially in that condition I would think it is desirable.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks...I haven't found out much yet..just members that want to buy it. Maybe someone will step up..I'm told it's from the 1940's...

May I humbly suggest you contact TATE immediately.

And, yes, I want one too:).

Dale

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
May I humbly suggest you contact TATE immediately.

And, yes, I want one too:).

Dale

Thanks for the compliment Dale!

Here you go. This is right at the time Brunswick transitioned from the old BBC decal to the new style, about 1939 - 1940. Although the catalog shows the old decals (they used old graphics) the new decals were in use. This is the page from my 1939 catalog:

http://www.palmercollector.com/Brunswick/Brunswick_1939_page_13.jpg

This cue looks straight out of the book including the new "noise suppressor" which we now refer to as he $2 rubber bumper :wink:. The case is from the 1940's I would say.

Chris

Last edited:

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
Sweet cue

I will throw myself under the bus and offer the full retail price listed in the catalog ;)

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great cue

What a find!

Love the points in the shaft.

Great resource we have in Tate. A true historian.

I was thinking worth at least 1200; then I saw the post above this; so I'd have to figure at least a couple hundred more.

I'd hold onto that for quite a while; or at least until I had a better idea of true value.

Looks like you have most of the AZ experts stumped.

Enjoy that hunk of wood.

Dave

nick serdula

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Try Roscoe

He used to collect that stuff. Was he runscott? I forget. I am pretty sure he is not a chicken!
Nick :)

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Sweet cue

I will throw myself under the bus and offer the full retail price listed in the catalog ;)

You guys are too much. :smile: for the heck of it, I ran the 1939 amount of $21.95 to see how much it would be in today's dollars adjusted for CPI. That's a package of three, so each cue is $126.67, a roaring bargain considering ivory joint and solid Gabon ebony. I guess back then elephants were running around all over the place through forests of exotic hardwood trees!

Attachments

• Inflation Capture.JPG
    Inflation Capture.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 1,304
Last edited:

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=341686&highlight=Ebony+Titlist

Here is a tread from a few years ago, different era Titlist. The one you have is very rare, I doubt anyone could give you an accurate price but the guy from the above thread turned down $1200 for his.

Good luck.
Beautiful piece of history you have.

Ok ..so the cue you just posted as a point of reference is a much more desirable cue. It's not a titlist its a Brunswick 26-1/2 (predecessor to the titlist). The cue the OP posted is a nice cue but not worth near what the cue you posted here is.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You guys are too much. :smile: for the heck of it, I ran the 1939 amount of $21.95 to see how much it would be in today's dollars adjusted for CPI. Result is below and I think pretty well representative of what this cue, with ivory joint and solid Gabon ebony, might go for.

I did the same thing...but you ran the price for a package of 3 cues.

One cue was only $7.75. :grin:

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok ..so the cue you just posted as a point of reference is a much more desirable cue. It's not a titlist its a Brunswick 26-1/2 (predecessor to the titlist). The cue the OP posted is a nice cue but not worth near what the cue you posted here is.

I didn't realize this, thanks for the info.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I did the same thing...but you ran the price for a package of 3 cues.

One cue was only $7.75. :grin:

Thanks - fixed the post. I have no tolerance for reading (takes the brain out of "neutral").

Last edited:

gunzby

My light saber is LD
Silver Member
You guys are too much. :smile: for the heck of it, I ran the 1939 amount of $21.95 to see how much it would be in today's dollars adjusted for CPI. That's a package of three, so each cue is $126.67, a roaring bargain considering ivory joint and solid Gabon ebony. I guess back then elephants were running around all over the place through forests of exotic hardwood trees!

Hmmmmmm
Didn't think of that. I guess you're right. I should adjust for inflation. After all I wouldn't want to rip someone off

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the compliment Dale!

Here you go. This is right at the time Brunswick transitioned from the old BBC decal to the new style, about 1939 - 1940. Although the catalog shows the old decals (they used old graphics) the new decals were in use. This is the page from my 1939 catalog:

http://www.palmercollector.com/Brunswick/Brunswick_1939_page_13.jpg

This cue looks straight out of the book including the new "noise suppressor" which we now refer to as he $2 rubber bumper :wink:. The case is from the 1940's I would say.

Chris

You are the Man...

As a side note - this thread has also, apparently, answered a question I have wondered about
for years:

'When did Brunswick change from the pin-in-shaft design to putting the pin in the butt?'

So I didn't quite notice that detail in the first 1000 hours I spent look at your site:)

AND..... SILK wrap - them was the days.

Dale