Lets not forget what country led...

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
In the world of 3 cushion NOW, some of us who have been involved in the game for over 50+ years can remember with profoundness from just the generation or 2 before us that the USA was epicenter of the BEST 3 cushion players in the world. Personally, me being from Chicago feeling it was the hub of the game in this country for the first 50 years of the 20th Century!

I was born in an awkward time for 3 cushion, (1945) too young for the, 'hey day' of the game, 30's, 40's & 50's,.and sadly now too old for it's new world wide rebirth! But, at the time I did start to learn this great, difficult, never conquering game, I was privileged to come up in a billiard room, (Bensingers Clark Diversey) where we still had high level players from that time! Jake Schaffer Jr., Joe Procita, Marc Senor. But there was a man that was the most influential to pass the torch of those great players of that past era it was my mentor and BEST friend in the world, Ernie Presto. No, he wasn't a top tier player, (sectional) level. But, he knew more about the BEST players back then and about the, 'secrets' of the game from them and the game in general then anyone I've met to this date! Most of his peers are gone and the next generation of players like my father, Merhl Smith also, whom was a good player in his own right.

For me personally, NO finer man I have ever known! His honesty and devotion to his work and 3 cushion, has been achievable by very few! Even until just week or so before his past, billiards was his live. Just to hear him speak of the game he loved with such reverence, made you want you grab your cue and head for the tables!

I could go on and on, but, I'll just share an article from the, 'Billiards Digest' written by another dear departed life long friend, George Fels! I't entitled, "The Encyclopedia!"

I hope to all enjoy it.

ForErniePresto.jpg

BTW, Ernie taught me how to play, 'Straight rail,' & 1'8.2 Balkline.' ;)

Last edited:

bctf1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fantastic article Bill thank you very much for sharing. A historical perspective like this is fascinating and extremely interesting. You were very fortunate to be able to learn from Ernie and have him as a friend.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Fantastic article Bill thank you very much for sharing. A historical perspective like this is fascinating and extremely interesting. You were very fortunate to be able to learn from Ernie and have him as a friend.

Brad; thanks for the kind words. Ernie was truly 'one of a kind!' If people really want to see how the USA dominated 3 cushion for SO many years, just go to my very good friend, Charlie Ursitti's site. http://charllesursitti.com

Last edited: