Vintage mini NBC pocket iron issue

mach1cox

Registered
Hello all. Picked up this vintage Nat. Billiard Co. half scale table (playing surface 56"x28"). Full size framing with stamping indicating it was built between 1900 and 1910. Has 3/4" slate. Table complete EXCEPT (big except) it has no pocket irons. Pictures show it had nets on it at some point, but I don't know if these were original. Holes in rails indicate it needs #3 pocket irons, but they need to be smaller than normal. Have searched everywhere and called the leading pocket iron experts, but they haven't given me much hope of finding what I need. The holes for the pocket iron bolts are 5-3/8" center to center on the corners, and 5-7/8" on the sides, which is an inch or so under standard. Please give me your thoughts on making a set (how, material, etc.) vs. going to a top mount snooker bracket style, presuming a closer fit could be found. Thank you!

Attachments

• PT plate.JPG
    PT plate.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1740.jpg
    IMG_1740.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1913.jpg
    IMG_1913.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 193

SlateHumper

Pokin' and Hopin'
Silver Member
Mini National

Frank Knapp currently owns National Billiard 859-431-4129. 10AM-4:30PM M-F

I am almost positive Dave Thompson @ Some Assembly Required has one of those tables 513-258-6411.

Good luck

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Irons

I think that is a No.G pocket iron your needing, the tabs are 1inch on No.G pocket iron with a 4-1/8 mouth opening.
Give ken hash at classic billliards a call, he’s knows the No.G pocket irons. There was a few companies that had a very odd pocket iron made to their spec, akam had some very odd and rare pocket irons...

Rob.M

Last edited:

mach1cox

Registered
Slate Humper: You are correct! Thanks for that great steer! Hopefully it will pay off one way or another. Between his and mine, we have a whole table!

mach1cox

Registered
Thanks Rob. I did speak to Ken - no luck. G irons way too big. Need a 3" opening. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
A toolmaker may be able to make a complete set of something very similar.
Your existing iron could be used as the pattern for a complete matching set.