Cue Of A Lifetime

snowmon34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats the sweetest -R- cue on the block!

LOL....(-R-)..uh..no :scratchhead:

Gus Szamboti

Thanks just the same...

:smile:

Is it April 1'st already?....LOL

Tim,

Dang buddy your slipping.
You need to lay off the gluten, move to a plant based diet and introduce coconut oil into your diet to work on your memory.

2 years ago you and I had a 2 hour conversation over the phone about a cue deal gone bad, You than spent a good hour telling me about your Gus, how you acquired it, and your plan to have Barry refinish it.

You also sent me a pic of the cue before the refinish..

My comment about it being a -R- was an obvious Joke, but your reply took it to another level so I thought I would play along with the Deanoc cue of a lifetime opportunity.. lol

Anyways nice cue as always.
Enjoy it!

Attachments

• GUS.jpg
    GUS.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 305

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Tim,

Dang buddy your slipping.
You need to lay off the gluten, move to a plant based diet and introduce coconut oil into your diet to work on your memory.

2 years ago you and I had a 2 hour conversation over the phone about a cue deal gone bad, You than spent a good hour telling me about your Gus, how you acquired it, and your plan to have Barry refinish it.

You also sent me a pic of the cue before the refinish..

My comment about it being a -R- was an obvious Joke, but your reply took it to another level so I thought I would play along with the Deanoc cue of a lifetime opportunity.. lol

Anyways nice cue as always.
Enjoy it!

Ok yeah...I wasn't sure... well no harm.. No worries. All's good..:smile:

Skins ------------- getting older memory not as good as it used to be

wrldpro

H.RUN 311/Diamond W.R.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does this mean I can get my cue back from you Lol. Congrats on the new cue as its a tremendous find and the ultimate cue to own.

RackRunner

Property of RackRunner
Silver Member
I don't believe it gets much better than this...
Congratulations, that is TOP SHELF!!!

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
The Story......

For those interested, here is the story behing the cue:

The cue was made in the late 70s for a local Hawaiian man named Blane Maebo aka the "One Ton Man" affectionately named by Gus and family. I guess they knew Blane pretty well. The nick name arrose as he used to frequently send the Szamboti family "tons" of these very tastee Hawaiian chips. Barry said they always had them on hand. I'd guess they became another food group..lol.. The cue came to my attention when pictures were posted on a forum site with the new owner (owner of a local Hawaiin pool hall) asking questions and information about the cue which he had just aquired from the original owner Blane.. I responded in a private message and gave any information that I could share within my knowledge. We eventually talked over the phone for hours talking about Gus's work as well as Barry's. I told him that it was a very rare and valuable piece and that if he was going to hang onto any cue that would be the one. He said he talked to Barry and Barry confirmed it was a cue his dad made....We didn't talk for a some time after and then he contacted me out of the blue and asked me if I wanted the cue. I had said of course I want to cue but I don't think I would be able to afford it at this time. He asked me if there was someway we could work it out. Well we disussed a few options and we came to an agreement we both could live with. I immediately called Barry and told him about the cue and he wished me well with it. When I recieved the cue I realized, more than the pictures would show, that it was no closet queen. I mean this thing was as well played as any cue I'd ever seen. Well after mulling it over thats when I made the decision to see if I could get it restored or even should. I spoke with many collectors of many types of items not just cues and decided the cue warranted a good resto if anything to keep it from deteriorating any worse. I eventually spoke with a Szam collector and they told me Barry was not taking any restorations. Well that was not what I wanted to hear but it was what it was. I decided to talk to Dennis Searing and see if he would like to take it on and he said absolutely. I felt better that the cue would be in capable hands but was still bummed Barry would not take it in. Well I decided to call Barry and let him know that I decided to have the cue restored and that it was going to be in good hands since he wasnt doing restorations anymore. Well Barry was confused and he just said "don't listen to anyone else" when it pertains to him. Speak with him direct. Well he agreed to take it in. I called Dennis and explained the situation and he was glad Barry was available was going to do the resto even though I know Dennis would have loved to work on such a great example of his favorite maker...I would have loved to have Dennis do the work but I was ecstatic that "the cue would stay 100% Szamboti" (Dennis's words as well) and even more so when I received it back. It's just superb. Barry really took care of me. It'll be known from now on as "The One Ton Cue". Thanks Barry!!.....The rest is yet to be written :)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
For those interested, here is the story behing the cue:

The cue was made in the late 70s for a local Hawaiian man named Blane Maebo aka the "One Ton Man" affectionately named by Gus and family. I guess they knew Blane pretty well. The nick name arrose as he used to frequently send the Szamboti family "tons" of these very tastee Hawaiian chips. Barry said they always had them on hand. I'd guess they became another food group..lol.. The cue came to my attention when pictures were posted on a forum site with the new owner (owner of a local Hawaiin pool hall) asking questions and information about the cue which he had just aquired from the original owner Blane.. I responded in a private message and gave any information that I could share within my knowledge. We eventually talked over the phone for hours talking about Gus's work as well as Barry's. I told him that it was a very rare and valuable piece and that if he was going to hang onto any cue that would be the one. He said he talked to Barry and Barry confirmed it was a cue his dad made....We didn't talk for a some time after and then he contacted me out of the blue and asked me if I wanted the cue. I had said of course I want to cue but I don't think I would be able to afford it at this time. He asked me if there was someway we could work it out. Well we disussed a few options and we came to an agreement we both could live with. I immediately called Barry and told him about the cue and he wished me well with it. When I recieved the cue I realized, more than the pictures would show, that it was no closet queen. I mean this thing was as well played as any cue I'd ever seen. Well after mulling it over thats when I made the decision to see if I could get it restored or even should. I spoke with many collectors of many types of items not just cues and decided the cue warranted a good resto if anything to keep it from deteriorating any worse. I eventually spoke with a Szam collector and they told me Barry was not taking any restorations. Well that was not what I wanted to hear but it was what it was. I decided to talk to Dennis Searing and see if he would like to take it on and he said absolutely. I felt better that the cue would be in capable hands but was still bummed Barry would not take it in. Well I decided to call Barry and let him know that I decided to have the cue restored and that it was going to be in good hands since he wasnt doing restorations anymore. Well Barry was confused and he just said "don't listen to anyone else" when it pertains to him. Speak with him direct. Well he agreed to take it in. I called Dennis and explained the situation and he was glad Barry was available was going to do the resto even though I know Dennis would have loved to work on such a great example of his favorite maker...I would have loved to have Dennis do the work but I was ecstatic that "the cue would stay 100% Szamboti" (Dennis's words as well) and even more so when I received it back. It's just superb. Barry really took care of me. It'll be known from now on as "The One Ton Cue". Thanks Barry!!.....The rest is yet to be written :)

Great story!
Jason