Cortland Linen #12 (White w/ Black Speck)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Prior attempts to locate 50 yds. of Cortland #12 for sale have been futile.

I'll pay a premium price for 50 yards of Cortland Linen #12 (white w/ black speck).
My cue-maker already has some #9 for my cue underway if #12 can't be located.

Thanks for reading my thread and any conceivable help or advice you might offer.

Matt B.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Dave,

Thanks for taking to time to try and help me out. There's a big selection of linen wraps on the Atlas website but unfortunately none of it is Cortland Linen which is all I am interested in getting.

My last cue-maker wasn't able to find any #12 for the cue he made and fortunately, my current cue-maker already has some Cortland Linen #9 for my cue underway. I have Cortland on all my pool cues and thank goodness there's still some Cortland #9 available.......but finding Cortland #12 that someone is willing to sell is like looking for hens teeth. All of the linen wraps you see on Atlas, Ozone, Pool Dawg, etc. are inexpensive linen wraps. Cortland actually costs more than even leather elephant ear or other exotic leathers due to its scarcity and Cortland will "never" be made again so when it's gone, that's it. Even Hulbert's current line of linen wraps doesn't come close to the quality and feel of Cortland which is because it's a manually hand-braided Irish fishing line while the others are machine twisted.

Thanks again for your very considerate suggestion.

Matt B.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Pretty Please....... only require 50 yards.......I'll buy an entire 400 yard spool if that's what it takes.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Thanks poolrod........in case anyone was going to suggest contacting Joe Pechauer, he's been kind to sell me Cortland #9 for my cues.
The #12 he has remaining is so scant it's only used on special cues. Any ideas on where to try to locate any #12 are always welcomed.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Thanks for the idea Qucare. My cue-maker fortunately has some Cortland Linen #9 (white w/ green speck) he uses for special orders. Since that was the main wrap George Balabushka used on his cues, I can't go wrong using #9 for my Bushka Tribute cue. So thanks for your offer but I'll stick with the #9 since it makes more sense, that is unless someone is willing to part with 50 yds. of Cortland Linen #12.

There's a small amount out there but it's never advertised as Cortland Linen unless it's #9 which is a little bit more available. Let me put this into a more realistic perspective; earlier this year I ran a LTB thread offerring $200 for 50 yds. of Cortland Linen #12. It ran for awhile and there were some replies by a few Azers that had some #12 but no one was willing to part with any and I don't begrudge them in the slightest for feeling that way. It simply comes down to scarcity and irreplaceability.

There's very little Cortland Linen of any type (#) and when it's gone, it really and truly is gone, sort of like extinct. And so, people that have it treat like precious gemstones and well they should as would I and probably everyone else who's a pool aficionado of sorts. You always see threads looking to buy some Cortland Linen but seldom, if ever, see a thread looking to sell any Cortland Linen. Cue-makers that have any Cortland Linen in their inventory fully realize they aren't going to be able to replace their inventory when it's exhausted, unless they know someone with a hidden cache which seems improbable.

Anyway, the darn stuff is harder to find than one might otherwise imagine and when you start looking for #12, well, just bite your lip and get ready for a very frustrating experience, especially since apparently price doesn't even matter. I can't imagine paying more than what I previously offered and if only Blue Mountain was still in business, it'd be a different story entirely.

Atlas offers the Hurlbert Line that comes in a black/white speck but the stuff costs only $50 for a spool that will handle more than 2 dozen cues. I only need 50 yds. and I'm also wondering how'd I'd like it since it seems dirt cheap. The spool is supposed to be good for 25-30 cues for $50. There's also another Irish Linen on Atlas's website with more color options but it's even cheaper than the Hurlbert Linen but it's available in a 50 yd roll for only $5.00.

I think this stuff is probably better suited for a cue-maker who deals in volume and candidly speaking, I just can't see using it for a wrap on an expensive custom cue. Now Blue Mountain made a great product and that's a linen wrap I'd consider so if anyone has some Blue Mountain in a white/black, or, black/white speck, please contact me or post your reply on this thread.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Matt B.

Last edited:

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Matt,
Try Paul Rubino. I spoke to him a little over a year ago and he was no longer making cues. He usually had many old parts. He should be listed in the Blue Book and Encyclopedia of Billiards. If you have trouble reaching him, I should have his number somewhere.
GL
Phil

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Cortland........Cortland........Anyone got some Cortland?

I need Cortland Linen #12 (white w/ black speck) but Cortland #9 (white w/green speck) is acceptable
and I will buy a single roll (50 yds) or a spool (400 yds) if that's what it takes. Below are photos of
Cortland Linen #12 and obviously it isn't mine otherwise I'd be celebrating.

If anyone has current phone contact information for Paul Rubino or Mike Johnson, please send me the
info via PM rather than just posting on this thread. The numbers I have are for them are non-working #s.

Thanks for your help.

Matt B.

Attachments

• Cortland Linen #12 Spool.jpg
    Cortland Linen #12 Spool.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 243
  • Cortland Linen #12.jpg
    Cortland Linen #12.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 165
Last edited: