Predator P3

I rack balls

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
has just arrived haha. It seems promising, looks a little out there. I am curious to play with one. Thoughts?

shinyballs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the weight system is long overdue. It's always such a pain to change the weight of a cue or experiment. Seems cool to me. The rest of it may be a bit overkill on the butt.

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
To me these cues are a great disappointment right now. I mean, OK, 30 pieces - that means that they can use wood of even worse quality then they do right now-, OK weight system - Harvey Martin experienced with that a couple of decades ago, didn't he? -, and then just paint it all black? I know that I have not yet played with one yet, etc. but it hardly makes any sense to me. I never liked seeing something for sale that has been already there but now its served in a different way. Correct me if I am wrong, but all I see is that they are selling weight "bolts" that are different in weight - and can be purchased seperately if you read the small letter part too - but that is all. I wonder how making a butt out of not 1, not 3 nor 10 but thirty different pieces can make it play better.

These look rather like a poision or something but def. not like an 800 dollar cue. I would be less disappointed if there had not been such a huuuuge hype about it and all that...

On the other hand, I am sure that many will like this new line and that they'll sell thousands of it or more... but I don't like it at all.

Is it just me feeling this way?:confused:

fruehlein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
poohkiller said:
To me these cues are a great disappointment right now. I mean, OK, 30 pieces - that means that they can use wood of even worse quality then they do right now-, OK weight system - Harvey Martin experienced with that a couple of decades ago, didn't he? -, and then just paint it all black? I know that I have not yet played with one yet, etc. but it hardly makes any sense to me. I never liked seeing something for sale that has been already there but now its served in a different way. Correct me if I am wrong, but all I see is that they are selling weight "bolts" that are different in weight - and can be purchased seperately if you read the small letter part too - but that is all. I wonder how making a butt out of not 1, not 3 nor 10 but thirty different pieces can make it play better.

These look rather like a poision or something but def. not like an 800 dollar cue. I would be less disappointed if there had not been such a huuuuge hype about it and all that...

On the other hand, I am sure that many will like this new line and that they'll sell thousands of it or more... but I don't like it at all.

I`m on your side, but I will give the cue a chance (If I can test it by chance).

And you are right, for about 800U$ you will get a good looking and hitting cue without this cheap looking metal thing on the butt.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
i'm curious to testride it, but the thing that troubles me is:

The main thing of the P3 is the 30 pieces. They used it so they can use lesser grade wood and guarantee that the butt will be stable with different climates.. but really: How many have had a butt warp? (i've personally never seen one)

I can understand using different pieces of wood together for the shaft, so the bending characteristisc stay the same, no matter how you turn the cue. but the butt doesnt bend, so why use different pieces of wood?

I prefere to use one good piece and keep my cue save from places where it could warp, then pay 400$ more and have lesser grade wood do the same thing. warping of the butt isnt worth 800$

maybe they should make warp tests to prove there statement... I mean, its the mainfocus of the cue, but no prove or anything, let stand alone the usefullness..

The weight system... I dont have any problem with it. Saves you buying and selling the cue, untill you find the weight and balance you like.

The thing that i'm interested in is the wrap !!
Till now i can't find one that has what i'm looking for. Leather makes me sweat to much, but i love the feel. Linnen doesnt stay clean, my hands dont sweath so much, but they feel to rough or to slicky.. I'm looking for something that feels like the foam that is inside travelingcases. Absorbs the sweet (removable? so i can wash it and put it back on, or just put a new on without having to miss the cue for a month to have it changed. Something that lasts longer then the foam i'm refering too, but feels as soft.
the wrap is THE thing that i'd like to test. Wonder if they could put this wrap on custom cue's...

the looks: i have no problem with it. Some like woodcarved things, some like shiny chromed things...
Some like diamond tables with wooden corners, other like brunswicks with brass or chrome corners...
doesnt make or brake the cue.

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
shinyballs said:
I think the weight system is long overdue. It's always such a pain to change the weight of a cue or experiment. Seems cool to me. The rest of it may be a bit overkill on the butt.
This weight system isn't new. If you own a Joss or a Viking, they have used set screws to adjust the weight for years. All you have to do is run to the local fastener store, pick up a variety of set screws from a half inch in length to 2 inch length, and you can fine tune a cue to within .1-.2 ounces. The only difference is with the Joss, you can use a standard hex wrench. The uni-loc bolts require a special tool, from the looks of it.

GMAC

Flip it.
Silver Member
Solartje said:

Till now i can't find one that has what i'm looking for. Leather makes me sweat to much, but i love the feel. Linnen doesnt stay clean, my hands dont sweath so much, but they feel to rough or to slicky.. I'm looking for something that feels like the foam that is inside travelingcases. Absorbs the sweet (removable? so i can wash it and put it back on, or just put a new on without having to miss the cue for a month to have it changed. Something that lasts longer then the foam i'm refering too, but feels as soft.
the wrap is THE thing that i'd like to test. Wonder if they could put this wrap on custom cue's...

Sounds like you need to try a cork wrap.

The questions I have is the cue going to play exactly the same as the last generation as far as deflection goes? The shafts are the same so does this new but make any difference? I didnt see anything to that effect in the preview.

MBTaylor

Banned
Solartje said:

The main thing of the P3 is the 30 pieces. They used it so they can use lesser grade wood and guarantee that the butt will be stable with different climates.. but really: How many have had a butt warp? (i've personally never seen one)

I can understand using different pieces of wood together for the shaft, so the bending characteristisc stay the same, no matter how you turn the cue. but the butt doesnt bend, so why use different pieces of wood?

I prefere to use one good piece and keep my cue save from places where it could warp, then pay 400$ more and have lesser grade wood do the same thing. warping of the butt isnt worth 800$

maybe they should make warp tests to prove there statement... I mean, its the mainfocus of the cue, but no prove or anything, let stand alone the usefullness..

The weight system... I dont have any problem with it. Saves you buying and selling the cue, untill you find the weight and balance you like.

the looks: i have no problem with it. Some like woodcarved things, some like shiny chromed things...
Some like diamond tables with wooden corners, other like brunswicks with brass or chrome corners...
doesnt make or brake the cue.

Have you tried cork wraps?

poolsnark

Clique Wannabe
Silver Member
shinyballs said:

Couldn't agree more. I wish I had something snarky to say about it but based on the description and the rockin' new weight system, I'm really looking forward to seeing it this week.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
30 pieces of ......

poohkiller said:

I'm not the least disappointed with the 30 pieces of wood, the looks or the weight system.

I'm just hoping that Tony Robles hasn't sold his name for 30 pieces of silver. I've heard he is a very nice guy, a great instructor, a very good player but he is putting all of that on the line for Predator, IMO.

I can't wait to hit some balls with one of these cues but I hope they let the dealers discount them a bit as 849 seems high for a production cue that is plain jane except for the unique design of the butt.

One of the guys that posts on here promised a review of the cue because he will be going to the expo.

I wonder what the street price will be on these cues.

JoeyA

I rack balls

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am guessing the price on the street to be about 675. I think it looks promising, I play with a P2 and can't seem but to go back to it every time I try and stray.