Any McDermott Cue reviews?

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Silver Member
Good day all,

I am in the market for another playing cue. I am not a pro and all together not a very good pool player however my love for the game is great!

I currently play with a M2WW with a predator Z shaft. I am looking at possibly getting another McDermott but I do not see a lot of posts (talk) or any love at all for these seemingly nice cues?

Most of what I see on any forum is strickly custom cues. Very little talk or discussion on any manufactured cues.

I am interested in two cues by McDermott. The limited edition emerald spear or the 2008 Limited edition M89. But if anyone out there has any knowledge or review on another excellent McDermott cue I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers.

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Mcdermott

Mcdermott cues are fine players. The B and D series cues are collectable and often sought after. E series cues tend to be harder to sell in my experience. All play well however. As I understand it, new cues are life warrantied. That is impressive to me.

I recently sent a cue back that was in really bad shape, an old D-series that needed a lot of work. Mcdermott offers a restoration service that includes a new finish, wrap and matching shaft. The cue I got back was perfect...like new and was a superb value for the modest price they charged.

If you find a cue from Mcdermott that you like, I say buy it. The company has made a fine product for years and has stood behind their product well. I have direct knowledge of this and I would recommend them highly.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I have to say that they hit very well,big pins and a wood to wood joint makes for a solid player,put on a Predator shaft if you like that and its really the nuts to be honest.Why cant a McDermott hit as good as any custom?,I think people get hung up on "custom" when McD gives some of the custom cuemakers out there the 8 and the breaks. :)

edman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was out of the game for about 20 years and when I decided to get back in it I went with what I knew from back then. I picked up the M72 Tahoe and I love it. I added the McDermott I-2 shaft and plays so good I would buy another one. I have put in in the center hole of my cue case because I mainly use a Jim Lee Custom now but I still pull it out from time to time like when I do the bar thing with some friends. I also picked up one of the M72 "Dubliner" for my wife. (Once Irish always Irish no matter how small the bloodline.) Everywhere I go with that thing people want to pony up some cash but its never enough LOL!

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Silver Member
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

Edman, the Dubliner plus an i2 shaft was one of the combinations I was considering. I like the Limitied Edition Emerald Spear for the Italian Leather wrap.

Tough choices. The 2008 cue of the year is spectacular as well but up here in Canada I am looking at about 1000 dollars.

Thanks again.

Paul.

orangecrush

Just a banger
Silver Member
I've been playing with McDermott cues since the early 90's. And I love the way McDermott cues play. Great value for the money.

This is my main player. I hope this helps.

IMGP0021.jpg

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Carpe_Diem said:
Thanks for the replies.

Edman, the Dubliner plus an i2 shaft was one of the combinations I was considering. I like the Limitied Edition Emerald Spear for the Italian Leather wrap.

Tough choices. The 2008 cue of the year is spectacular as well but up here in Canada I am looking at about 1000 dollars.

Thanks again.

Paul.

I've got the M64D Phoenix with an I2 shaft, the M72 Dubliner with an I2 shaft, and a BL03 with an I2 shaft. They all play nearly identically. I spent the extra $15 when I ordered it so the ring work would match. All 3 cues were less than $500 each with the I2 and the standard shaft.
$21.95 gets a new moori medium, a cleaning, wrap dressed (replaced if needed) and any dings out of the shaft. The maintenance program is great and the turn around time is fast.

They can't be beat for playability and value IMO

:cool:

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some really good advice...
If you're considering buying a different cue & you like McD's (fine cue), find one of the nice D Line cues they have available on their site. These represent the pinnacle of McDermott quality through the years. Short spliced - not inlayed/rounded points. Hold their value.

burns420

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the dubliner myself. Its a solid player and is one of my favorite looking cues. Im going to get a new wrap and ferrule/tip on it soon

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being from WI home of the Mc's, I have shot with a few. The thing I can't figure out about though is there higher end cues have the "Quick Release" joint. This in my opinion chages the hit and balance of the cue. They seem to be more forward balanced with that pin. I prefer the feel of them before the higher end price is joined by a Quick release pin.

IMO

TJ

edman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Dubliner I have has been used on two occasions. No dents, no dings, the wrap probably doesn't know it has been touched. I bought it for my wife as she absolutely fell in love with it when she saw it. Both times we were out two people tried to buy it on the spot. Its a beautiful cue and it's back in the hard case until she gets over her neck surgery. I used it for about 2 hours one night and it plays just as good and any other. I want to get the shaft cut down to 12.5mm but she said not no but hell no!

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
tjlmbklr said:
Being from WI home of the Mc's, I have shot with a few. The thing I can't figure out about though is there higher end cues have the "Quick Release" joint. This in my opinion chages the hit and balance of the cue. They seem to be more forward balanced with that pin. I prefer the feel of them before the higher end price is joined by a Quick release pin.

IMO

TJ

Not sure if that is the joint I've seen that appears to be like a one piece joint and pin combination that seems to just thread on the end of the forearm. Don't like those either , don't like the hit or feel but otherwise they're a fine cue IMO. I know a few people playing them and like them.

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Silver Member
Thank you all for your input.

I have decided to go with the Dubliner M72A with an i2 shaft with
matching colar so it looks nice. I thin that it is a very moderate priced
combination and with the new intimidator shaft should hit as well as
any other more expensive or custom cue.

Cheers.

Paul.

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
Carpe_Diem said:
Thank you all for your input.

I have decided to go with the Dubliner M72A with an i2 shaft with
matching colar so it looks nice. I thin that it is a very moderate priced
combination and with the new intimidator shaft should hit as well as
any other more expensive or custom cue.

Cheers.

Paul.

It's a good buy. I got mine with the I2 shaft (with matching rings) and a set of joint protectors for $513.00. They threw in a freebie too (I don't remember what I got) @ billiards911.com. They have an existing discount you can add at the checkout and save 10% (special 10) I have made 3 purchases from them and they are great Courtney answers emails quickly and the whole process was smooth and easy. It did take longer to come because McDermott has to do the ring work, but it's worth the wait.

:cool:

cuejunky

Pool Player
Silver Member
The first cue I ever bought and still have is a McDermott C3 which still hits good and is still straight. Usual dings etc from 28 yrs of play but still one of my favorites.

Zud

Old Dog Trying to Learn
Silver Member
McDermott Lover, Working Toward Customs

I love my McDermotts and I just picked up a new one. I have moved to playing with my 3/8 x 10 pin instead of my first nice cue with the quick release. but hard to beat the value for the money.

M14A.jpg
My First McDermott The M14A Sentinel

McDermott D16 P702.jpg
My D16 Rosewood Forearm (New Cue Old Forearm)

McDermott_2.jpg
My 6 Point Tulipwood Old D22 Forearm (New Cue Old Forearm)

McDermott Custom 2.jpg
McDermott Custom 1.jpg
The Custom I just Picked up on the Bay (Should be here any day now)

If I was gonna spend more on a cue (heck Ill prolly sell some of these to finance it) I would go custom. I have been shooting some with a Pat Diveney Sneaky Butterfly and I really like the stiff crisp hit that is the opposite of these cues (I have an OB-1 Shaft that I use on all the Butts) The enhanced feel that comes with the crisp stiff hit on that sneaky and when I hit a local cuemakers cue (Clint Putman) tells me I am ready to shift direction.

Last edited:

DavidMNienow

Glamour Dave
Silver Member
McDermott cues are an awesome value for the money. I sold McDermott cues for 10 years working at a billiards pro shop. Just because they are a "production" cue does not any way reduce the quality of the product that they produce. The very top end models that McDermott produces I would put up with any other top quality cue maker out there. A quality cue is a quality cue no matter where its coming from.

I myself have been playing with the Dubliner model now for over a year and half. When that model first came out as a cue of the month in Jan 07 that proved to be the hottest selling McDermott model in our area. The first cue sold out in 3 days. We ordered a 2nd, it was out the door in 2 days. We ordered 2 more for special orders for people that had seen the cue online and wanted it. I wanted 1 for myself and the damn things would not stick around long enough for me to get one. So I had to have my boss order another one as well. I think when the excitement of that cue model subdsided a little bit, we wound up selling like around 7 or 8 of those in our area. That may not actually sound like alot, but considering our area, that level of demand was beyond the norm in comparison to regular cue sales.

I actually ordered mine with a 12.75 mm tip and 18.5 oz and that combination has worked awesome as my main cue for 9-ball play. It has just proven to be a great playing cue, and I have it in my case along with an ivory jointed high-end Coker, and a very nice custom Phillipi.

David "Glamour Dave" Nienow

Surly

This is it.
Silver Member
You should check out the factory tour at www.mcdermottcue.com If you need more love, care, professionalism, and craftmanship than they provide... well then you're awfully needy!

I have an MG2 and I love it.

NoLove

Veteran "Go Off" Artist
Silver Member
They play well..

I think I have owned probably over 20 McDermott cues and never had one that was bad. The one I regret selling was a B series "Box" cue, that thing hit great. The only thing that turns me off about most of them I have owned is the balance point to me seems too far back for my preference. I think every one I owned i took the weight bolt all the way out just to move the balance forward. That's just my finicky ideal.

I have never used one of the Intimidator shafts though and was considering purchasing one but haven't seen any complete reviews on them... anyone?