rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
100_0632-2.jpg

audrickJP01.jpg

audrickfarm06-1.jpg

audrickfarm03.jpg

audrickbs01.jpg

About two months ago I purchased an Audrick Custom Cue off Ebay, mostly to satisfy what I euphemistically call the "I need something different" blues. I had heard a little about Pilipino cues, and saw an opportunity to try one out without putting a rather large hole in my budget. Long story short, I won an Audrick custom cue for less than $200 USD, including an extra shaft, the Moori III tip upgrade, joint protectors all around, including shipping costs ($40). Audrick cues come standard with a 13 mm shaft, and I asked for the first shaft in that measure. I requested the second shaft to be 12.75 mm. I also asked that the second set of joint protectors be of a different color than the first. The cue arrived in less than ten days exactly as specified.

Cosmetic notes:

The cue features six points of palmwood, two veneers in holly and ebony per point. The forearm is ebony with a nice grain and ranges from jet black to a dark chocolate. There are three rosewood rings; one above and one below the wrap as well as one between the buttsleeve and buttcap. I cannot feel any of the ringwork. The ivorine and reconstituted turquoise diamonds are all of equal size and even. In fact, all the inlay work is as good as any of my Meucci Originals. The wrap is black with blue spec, double pressed and appears/feels as good as the wrap on my ?90s Joss or my Meucci Original DH-2. The stainless steel joint is piloted and the pin measures 5/16-18. The balance point of the cue is 19.5 inches ahead of the end of the buttcap, or about 2 inches forward of the wrap. The finish has a high shine, almost wet-looking. Overall, the cue looks and feels as good as any American-made cue I've ever owned.

The shafts, on the other hand, were not as smooth as those that came with most of my other cues when brand new. They weren't rough, but they weren't to the same standard as say one of the Mcdermott's I've owned over the years. However, I was somewhat prepared for this after reading a review I found on Ebay concerning these cues. A little elbow grease and some 1200 grit finishing paper I picked up at the local hobby store took care of that. Also, the shafts were not paper white. Instead they were a very light blond, which I actually prefer over white shafts. There were no sugar marks and the grain appears tight.

Shooting Impressions: (Day 1-3): My first impression of the cue was that it felt surprisingly well-balanced. The cue weighs 19.5 oz which is actually almost two ounces heavier than my regular shooting cue, but over the table it didn't feel that heavy. The hit itself is firm. My opinion is that the cue hits somewhere between a Joss and a J. Pechauer. In fact, I could have been shooting with my Joss. There was also negligible vibration associated with the hit. I found that this cue felt as solid during the stroke and at impact as any production cue I've played. It definitely is not a cheap hit.

The shafts are regular (non-laminate) shafts with a 10-12 pro-taper. I haven't measured them yet, but I think mine are both a bit more than 12 inches. After nearly a decade of shooting exclusively laminate shafts, I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of these regulars. I actually found myself wondering if I should maybe switch back to regular shafts from my "low deflection" laminated shafts. On Day 3 I even played my league games with it ( I went 6 of 8). A note about the Moori III tip: My first thought after getting a look at the tip was, "wow. That sucker's pretty thick." These are the first Moori IIIs I have seen so probably this is just normal. I resisted the urge to grind them down with my willards tool. They play just fine. I found no difficulty imparting whatever English I wanted. Overall, the tips seem to perform as well as the Mooris and Snipers and Wizards on my other cues.

Interval: 5 days

SI: (Day 4-5): Finally got another chance to play this cue. I took the cue to my local hang out and decided to put my ability to hold my table on the Audrick. Well, I would like to say that I defeated all comers, but reality was a little different. I did lose some games (7) but out of close to 30, that's not bad in my book. The cue played well, I think I just had some trouble adjusting from light/heavy cues as well as laminate/non-laminate shafts. Note: several players asked about the cue; who made it, how much, etc. Comments about appearance were all favorable. I allowed several people to shoot a few with it with likewise positive comments. Two players wanted to know exactly how I came by mine.

Interval: 2 days

SI: (Day 6): Took the cue to a friend's housewarming party as I knew there would be several of my pool-playing buddies there to try out the new table my buddy got the day before. Most of these guys play at least high-end production cues (Schon, Joss, Meucci, Viking, etc.) More importantly, most of them are higher-rated players than me and I wanted their unvarnished (sometimes brutal) opinions about my new cue. Over the course of the evening comments about the cue ranged from," nice," to "sweet," with only one player that was indifferent. One of my buddies, a BCA 9 who has a fair-sized cue collection (playing cue is a Schon) offered to buy the cue for nearly twice what I paid.

Interval: 3 days

SI: (Day 7): I feel fairly confident with this cue, so I took it to a small, 7-and-under tournament I like to play now and again. I played average for me and ended up in third. More importantly, at no time did I feel limited by my choice of weaponry. This cue played as competently for me as my Joss ever did.

Conclusions: This experiment/evaluation started with me just wanting to try something different. In the beginning I told myself that this cue could be a terrible player and a waste of money. Of course, I have only had the cue for around two months now and only played it for 13 days total. Also, I don't know yet how the cue will hold up over time. By this time next year it might be warped or the inlays might pop, etc. And as an investment there is no way of telling. The cue might never be worth more than the original purchase price even if it does hold up over time.

However, strictly as a playing cue, the Audrick has performed better than my initial expectations. And frankly, the cue plays easy. There are no quirks or surprises. This cue just performs capably, with no fuss.

Further, if you have an interest in the more flamboyant Pilipino style of cuemaking then this cuemaker can satisfy that itch. In other words, Patrick Hermans of Audrick Custom Cue can produce a looker that can play as well as most any production cue I have ever had the opportunity to play.

Last edited:

rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, got pics up finally (many effusive thanks to those that posted the helpful bit in the wanted/for sale forum about how to do that). Now I just have to get a decent camera. And learn how to take a picture. Anyhow . . . The pics don't this cue justice but I'm playing with the edit features and hopefully I'll get some better pics up.

rkim99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hehe, which one? :rolleyes: Actually hadn't planned on selling anything right now, but according to a certain someone, I am very close to a limit, so you never know.

KeeFy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice review. The only issue with Audrick that i know of is that the woods are not properly seasoned. Thus, a number of the cues warp over time. Quite a few of the philippines cue makers don't season their woods properly. Only a few do, and their cues do cost more.

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
100_0632-2.jpg

audrickJP01.jpg

audrickfarm06-1.jpg

audrickfarm03.jpg

audrickbs01.jpg

About two months ago I purchased an Audrick Custom Cue off Ebay, mostly to satisfy what I euphemistically call the "I need something different" blues. I had heard a little about Pilipino cues, and saw an opportunity to try one out without putting a rather large hole in my budget. Long story short, I won an Audrick custom cue for less than $200 USD, including an extra shaft, the Moori III tip upgrade, joint protectors all around, including shipping costs ($40). Audrick cues come standard with a 13 mm shaft, and I asked for the first shaft in that measure. I requested the second shaft to be 12.75 mm. I also asked that the second set of joint protectors be of a different color than the first. The cue arrived in less than ten days exactly as specified.

Cosmetic notes:

The cue features six points of palmwood, two veneers in holly and ebony per point. The forearm is ebony with a nice grain and ranges from jet black to a dark chocolate. There are three rosewood rings; one above and one below the wrap as well as one between the buttsleeve and buttcap. I cannot feel any of the ringwork. The ivorine and reconstituted turquoise diamonds are all of equal size and even. In fact, all the inlay work is as good as any of my Meucci Originals. The wrap is black with blue spec, double pressed and appears/feels as good as the wrap on my ?90s Joss or my Meucci Original DH-2. The stainless steel joint is piloted and the pin measures 5/16-18. The balance point of the cue is 19.5 inches ahead of the end of the buttcap, or about 2 inches forward of the wrap. The finish has a high shine, almost wet-looking. Overall, the cue looks and feels as good as any American-made cue I've ever owned.

The shafts, on the other hand, were not as smooth as those that came with most of my other cues when brand new. They weren't rough, but they weren't to the same standard as say one of the Mcdermott's I've owned over the years. However, I was somewhat prepared for this after reading a review I found on Ebay concerning these cues. A little elbow grease and some 1200 grit finishing paper I picked up at the local hobby store took care of that. Also, the shafts were not paper white. Instead they were a very light blond, which I actually prefer over white shafts. There were no sugar marks and the grain appears tight.

Shooting Impressions: (Day 1-3): My first impression of the cue was that it felt surprisingly well-balanced. The cue weighs 19.5 oz which is actually almost two ounces heavier than my regular shooting cue, but over the table it didn't feel that heavy. The hit itself is firm. My opinion is that the cue hits somewhere between a Joss and a J. Pechauer. In fact, I could have been shooting with my Joss. There was also negligible vibration associated with the hit. I found that this cue felt as solid during the stroke and at impact as any production cue I've played. It definitely is not a cheap hit.

The shafts are regular (non-laminate) shafts with a 10-12 pro-taper. I haven't measured them yet, but I think mine are both a bit more than 12 inches. After nearly a decade of shooting exclusively laminate shafts, I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of these regulars. I actually found myself wondering if I should maybe switch back to regular shafts from my "low deflection" laminated shafts. On Day 3 I even played my league games with it ( I went 6 of 8). A note about the Moori III tip: My first thought after getting a look at the tip was, "wow. That sucker's pretty thick." These are the first Moori IIIs I have seen so probably this is just normal. I resisted the urge to grind them down with my willards tool. They play just fine. I found no difficulty imparting whatever English I wanted. Overall, the tips seem to perform as well as the Mooris and Snipers and Wizards on my other cues.

Interval: 5 days

SI: (Day 4-5): Finally got another chance to play this cue. I took the cue to my local hang out and decided to put my ability to hold my table on the Audrick. Well, I would like to say that I defeated all comers, but reality was a little different. I did lose some games (7) but out of close to 30, that's not bad in my book. The cue played well, I think I just had some trouble adjusting from light/heavy cues as well as laminate/non-laminate shafts. Note: several players asked about the cue; who made it, how much, etc. Comments about appearance were all favorable. I allowed several people to shoot a few with it with likewise positive comments. Two players wanted to know exactly how I came by mine.

Interval: 2 days

SI: (Day 6): Took the cue to a friend's housewarming party as I knew there would be several of my pool-playing buddies there to try out the new table my buddy got the day before. Most of these guys play at least high-end production cues (Schon, Joss, Meucci, Viking, etc.) More importantly, most of them are higher-rated players than me and I wanted their unvarnished (sometimes brutal) opinions about my new cue. Over the course of the evening comments about the cue ranged from," nice," to "sweet," with only one player that was indifferent. One of my buddies, a BCA 9 who has a fair-sized cue collection (playing cue is a Schon) offered to buy the cue for nearly twice what I paid.

Interval: 3 days

SI: (Day 7): I feel fairly confident with this cue, so I took it to a small, 7-and-under tournament I like to play now and again. I played average for me and ended up in third. More importantly, at no time did I feel limited by my choice of weaponry. This cue played as competently for me as my Joss ever did.

Conclusions: This experiment/evaluation started with me just wanting to try something different. In the beginning I told myself that this cue could be a terrible player and a waste of money. Of course, I have only had the cue for around two months now and only played it for 13 days total. Also, I don't know yet how the cue will hold up over time. By this time next year it might be warped or the inlays might pop, etc. And as an investment there is no way of telling. The cue might never be worth more than the original purchase price even if it does hold up over time.

However, strictly as a playing cue, the Audrick has performed better than my initial expectations. And frankly, the cue plays easy. There are no quirks or surprises. This cue just performs capably, with no fuss.

Further, if you have an interest in the more flamboyant Pilipino style of cuemaking then this cuemaker can satisfy that itch. In other words, Patrick Hermans of Audrick Custom Cue can produce a looker that can play as well as most any production cue I have ever had the opportunity to play.

Thanks for the detailed review! :thumbup:

I am just getting back into the sport after an almost 5 year absence and I wanted to pick up something to bang around with so based on your review I picked up an Audrick through Ebay.
I hope I have the same kind of luck that you did as I am really taken by the look of the cue I bought.
In the past I wouldn't have even considered buying a cue like this. I have played for over 15 years before walking away 5 years ago and almost eveything I played with was in a completely different league. My first "real" cue was a Meucci back before they started putting finish over the wrap section. From that I moved to a Joss and then on to all custom cues. I have owned everything from a Bender to Thomas Wayne with my last cue being a Titlist conversion made by Thomas after he retired. I believe it was the last cue he ever built.
Anyway, I'm sure I'll move onto bigger and better things but until I decide that I want to continue playing again I'll "stick" (pun intended) with the Audrick provided it's not warped when it shows up.

I'll be sure an post up a review once I receive it and get some playing time with it.

Here is a few pics of the one I bought.

Attachments

• A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 6,343
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 5,951
  • A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 6,292
Last edited:

hal007

Registered
Audrick cues

I have owned 7 Audricks over the past 5 years I have sold all but 2 on e-bay for more than i paid , having said that, these cues I sold had lots of ivory in them very well built shaft is a little rough but the butt inlays are unreal for the price I got the latest on with an ivory joint and ferrels no wrap tons of inlay as well as a g-10 pin in the joint I barley even no im strocking the ball Its that smooth I tried to go back to a regular cue mcdermott and the feel and hit from the audrick in my opinion is better ive taken a 3x8 x10 mcdermott intimatator shaft and put it on my audrick and wow , I think for the higher end player like myself the higher end audrick is the only way to go look out for the ones that have the ivory joint 2 shafts and r 300 to 400 bucks on the audrick website the ones he has for 150 - 200 are really good but i have had 3 of those and they r much different hit from the wrapless ivory joint ones that cost 300 plus,