Who was St. Louis Louie Roberts ?

The Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They give an award out at the Derby City Classic bearing his name.
But I can't find much on the internet about him.
He must have been quite a character to have the action/entertainment award named after him.
Also I know he has passed away,but how did he die?
I have seen conflicting reports on that matter.
And finally what speed did he play at,maybe someone can compare him to one of todays players.
Thanks for any info.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
No One Can Compare To Louie!

The Kid said:
He must have been quite a character to have the action/entertainment award named after him.
And finally what speed did he play at,maybe someone can compare him to one of todays players.
Thanks for any info.

If Louie was anything - he was "One Of A Kind"!

Do some research - There is plenty about him and I hear there is a good article coming out in Billiard Digest.

TY & GL

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
If Louie was anything - he was "One Of A Kind"!

Do some research - There is plenty about him and I hear there is a good article coming out in Billiard Digest.

TY & GL

Ain't it da truth, OHB. To say, When they made, Louie, they broke the mold, would be a bit incorrect. They didn't get the chance. Louie grabbed a 12 gauge and blew the damn thing half way round the world.

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The descriptions of Louie I have heard portray him as a profoundly talented pool player. And not just talented when copared to you or me, but when compared to his peers--other top flight pool players. I heard a story that he offered a room full of champions at some tournament the 8, and no one took him up on the offer.

It is unfortunate that OHB did not say more, as I think he is in a better position then most people here to offer insight on Louie.

Ever since Louie died (I was too young to know him) I think St. Louis hasn't really had a player that the rest of the country considers to be a champion level player. I think the loss of Louie actually hurt the quality of pool in St. Louis, as our good players have no bona fide champion to match up with on a regular basis.

kollegedave

The Kid said:
Thanks for any info.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
The Kid said:
Thanks for any info.

Louie Roberts was one of the most talented pool players -EVER. He won The US Open, as well as many other tournaments. As a teenager I idolized Louie Roberts and made it a point to meet him and become his friend. Some of the times I spent with Louie are some of the wildest, craziest, funniest, saddest and angriest points in my life. That says a lot all by itself. Louie had a very challenging personality (LOL) and he also struggled with many demons. There are many colorful stories about Louie Roberts, but what needs to be said is that he loved the game of pool and sadly towards the end, that love was not enough to save his life. To those that new him best, St. Louie-Louie was a great guy, though somewhat difficult, we loved him anyway. You cannot compare Louie to anybody.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Blackjack - Tap, Tap, Tap

Blackjack said:
Louie Roberts was one of the most talented pool players -EVER. He won The US Open, as well as many other tournaments. As a teenager I idolized Louie Roberts and made it a point to meet him and become his friend. Some of the times I spent with Louie are some of the wildest, craziest, funniest, saddest and angriest points in my life. That says a lot all by itself. Louie had a very challenging personality (LOL) and he also struggled with many demons. There are many colorful stories about Louie Roberts, but what needs to be said is that he loved the game of pool and sadly towards the end, that love was not enough to save his life. To those that new him best, St. Louie-Louie was a great guy, though somewhat difficult, we loved him anyway. You cannot compare Louie to anybody.

VERY WELL SAID & "ALL" TOO TRUE - GLAD YOU SAID IT BECAUSE I DON'T NEED THE DOWNER (right now) THAT GOES WITH THINKING ABOUT IT.
TY & GL

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:

All totally true, David and more. Lunchmoney, ask on another thread, who would play, Louie, if a movie were made of his life? Louie, had the looks of an, Elvis Presley, with a better personality.

I don't know all the good looking actors of today. You guys tell me and, Lunchmoney. Who do you think should play, Louie Roberts, in the movie?

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I could play Louie. LOL!!! It looks like we had the same barber that week!

RobertsBlackjack.JPG

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Where's Keith?
Keith should have stories of he and Louie matching up at the ole Bob's place.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those days

Blackjack said:
I could play Louie. LOL!!! It looks like we had the same barber that week!

RobertsBlackjack.JPG

Dave, we were all younger and slimmer in those days.

Last edited:

Bob Romano

Bob' Wife
Silver Member
$Bill you Sexy Beast! And Blackjack, wow you could have been his twin!

I have heard conflicting stories about Louies demise, what did actually happen to him?

Eydie

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
man this sounds like some interesting times and stories.....wish some of you guys in the know would enlighten us. I was just wondering about who he was the other day when i saw scott frost won the st louis louie award. I did a search and there really isnt alot of info about him........come on blackjack, cuda, old......i love this kinda stuff.

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The greatest pool book ever.

scottycoyote said:
man this sounds like some interesting times and stories.....wish some of you guys in the know would enlighten us. I was just wondering about who he was the other day when i saw scott frost won the st louis louie award. I did a search and there really isnt alot of info about him........come on blackjack, cuda, old......i love this kinda stuff.

Scotty, the greatest pool book ever is being penned as I type by, JAM. It is, Keith McCready's, biography. I know for a fact that there will be more than a few, Louie vs Keith, stories in it. Louie Roberts has to be the only pool player ever with as many highly interesting stories to tell as, Keith McCready.

Everyone who knew, Louie, has stories to tell. The problem is, the best of the stories, though true, would seem unbelieveable. The reader who didn't know, Louie, would say, yea, that has to be BS. No one could do that and live to tell about it. Many people believe, Louie, didn't live to tell about the last one.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
scottycoyote said:

Some things are better left unsaid some times. I like many other people lost contact with Louie towards the end. The last time I saw Louie was in Memphis and it isn't a very pleasant memory for me. Of course their will be books where some of us pass along our memories of Louie, but a lot of what Louie did was humorous when it happened, but now that he is gone none of it seems very funny at all. Alot of the things that made Louie a legend also made him a dead man at a very young age.

When I think of Louie I try to remember the way he would tell a story or a joke, or the way he would try to BS me into going along with another one of his crazy little schemes. Or I remember the look on his face when he'd wake up in the morning not knowing where he was at, and that pause, that little glance out of the corner of his eye that let you know he had no clue where he was or where he had been - and he was too cool to admit it or say anything about it. That always makes me smile, as do the memories of him playing some awesome pool. When Louie was on, nobody could be beat him. Nobody.

scottycoyote

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Some things are better left unsaid some times. I like many other people lost contact with Louie towards the end. The last time I saw Louie was in Memphis and it isn't a very pleasant memory for me. Of course their will be books where some of us pass along our memories of Louie, but a lot of what Louie did was humorous when it happened, but now that he is gone none of it seems very funny at all. Alot of the things that made Louie a legend also made him a dead man at a very young age.

When I think of Louie I try to remember the way he would tell a story or a joke, or the way he would try to BS me into going along with another one of his crazy little schemes. Or I remember the look on his face when he'd wake up in the morning not knowing where he was at, and that pause, that little glance out of the corner of his eye that let you know he had no clue where he was or where he had been - and he was too cool to admit it or say anything about it. That always makes me smile, as do the memories of him playing some awesome pool. When Louie was on, nobody could be beat him. Nobody.
i understand what your saying and i respect it......i'll look forward to reading JAM's book then :)

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Surely, Louie matched up against Buddy Hall in the 1970's. Who usually got the cash? Did it matter whether they played on a bar box or a nine footer?

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
Surely, Louie matched up against Buddy Hall in the 1970's. Who usually got the cash? Did it matter whether they played on a bar box or a nine footer?

Hi SJM,
Buddy gave him 7 and beat him to the pulp.One time I told Buddy that he lost lot of business after that.Buddy did not think he lost any buisiness as a result of beating greats like louie.cheers
Vagabond

the kirkwood ki

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Louie was a great guy. He used to come in to one of the pool halls in St. Louis I used to go to as a kid. He was always good for a laugh and helped me and tons of other young punks like me with their game. He was our hero and we all miss him dearly. Some of the demons got a hold of him and he couldn't shake them off and the world lost a truly great player because of them.