Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 9 or 10 Ball Ring Game Rules

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
9 or 10 Ball Ring Game Rules
Old
  (#1)
SKUNKBOY
AzB Silver Member
SKUNKBOY has a reputation beyond reputeSKUNKBOY has a reputation beyond reputeSKUNKBOY has a reputation beyond reputeSKUNKBOY has a reputation beyond reputeSKUNKBOY has a reputation beyond reputeSKUNKBOY has a reputation beyond reputeSKUNKBOY has a reputation beyond reputeSKUNKBOY has a reputation beyond reputeSKUNKBOY has a reputation beyond reputeSKUNKBOY has a reputation beyond reputeSKUNKBOY has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

9 or 10 Ball Ring Game Rules - 10-08-2008, 05:04 PM

OK, I just did a search of this forum and didn't the the answer I was looking for. I would like to know if there are any printer rules for the 9-Ball or 10-Ball Ring Games.

I am pretty sure I know all of the rules but I had a situation the other day that was quite unbelievable. After league, 5 of us got a 9-Ball Ring game going...tiny stakes $1 on the five and $2 on the nine. Apparently four of us knew or at least agreed on every rule that was called, but one guy didn't know jack about ring games. Everytime we called out a rule under certain circumstansces, (BTW, as mentioned, four of us agreed 99.9% of the time on these rules) this guy woud scream and holler as if we were conspiring against him and asked to see the rules written down somewhere.

Here's some examples: Somebody scratched, so it's BIH in the kitchen. He didn't believe that. At the same time, the low ball was in the kitchen so it spots...he didn't believe that. He assumed that any foul was BIH anywhere, when we called him on that, he skwawked, then we told him that the person that shot next could pass the shot back to the fouling player. One more, he played a safety. When we warned him that if he did that again, we'd all club him with his own cue, take all of his money and throw him in the parking lot in his underware. I think you get the picture.

The really sad part about this guy was he kept saying he knew how to play 9-Ball because "he got second at State last year". He knows 9-Ball, just not Ring Game 9-Ball. Needless to say, he quit and left...good riddons.

OK, back to the subject at hand. Is there, does any one know of, a written set of rules by some established group that I could copy and post at the pool room? I could make one up myself, but then I'd get accused of 'making them up myself'.

I Googled it and got a set of rules from Southern Billiards. It was pretty close but they failed to talk about intentional safeties. It was also based on a progressive 'holdem' style betting format...which aint bad but I'd like to post the basics first.

Any help finding a published set of Ring Game rules would be greatly appreciated. (also could have possibilities at our State tournament as a mini tournament...if we had the rules).

L8R...Ken

Best advise I ever heard: never bank a good cut.

Old
  (#2)
Fatboy
AzB Silver Member
Fatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond reputeFatboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2400

10-08-2008, 05:19 PM

the problem isnt the rules its the guy who doesent know them, he also dosent know that in a ring game he should STFU and listen to everyone. I'd not let him play next time.

OG member of the Lock Society members or OG-LS;

Just call me Fat-Lock

im getting old and sloppy....

Old
  (#3)
Koopa
Ricky
Koopa has a reputation beyond reputeKoopa has a reputation beyond reputeKoopa has a reputation beyond reputeKoopa has a reputation beyond reputeKoopa has a reputation beyond reputeKoopa has a reputation beyond reputeKoopa has a reputation beyond reputeKoopa has a reputation beyond reputeKoopa has a reputation beyond reputeKoopa has a reputation beyond reputeKoopa has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

10-08-2008, 06:08 PM

No safeties is a staple of pretty much ANY ring game. The rules are pretty universal and if someone doesn't know them, they either can't play or need to be briefed thoroughly.

Cues: player and J/B both Omens
Hours a week: 30

Old
  (#4)
beetle
Do I bug you?
beetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond reputebeetle has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400

10-08-2008, 06:09 PM

See post #2, for example. Looks good to me:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=29022

Steve L. (47 years old)
Cues:Edwin Reyes, Pechauer, Lucasi (main cues); Steve Lomax (jump/break); Stealth & Frog (jump cues)
Case: Jack Justis
Table: Olhausen York 9'

Old
  (#5)
Black-Balled
~Slob on my Nobbin~
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
10-09-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKUNKBOY
...he played a safety. When we warned him that if he did that again, we'd all club him with his own cue, take all of his money and throw him in the parking lot in his underware. ...L8R...Ken
SOunds like a fine rule to me.

There is no beauty here, just the stench of wine and beer.
Death and hatred to mankind, poisoning their brainwashed minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#6)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
No safeties is a staple of pretty much ANY ring game. The rules are pretty universal and if someone doesn't know them, they either can't play or need to be briefed thoroughly.
No ball in hand anywhere, either. The problem is that most folks today only know the tournament style rules. It's like trying to explain current 8 ball rules to someone who has only played bar room rules. Sadly, it's another reason I no longer care for 9 ball.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ldhxbll58urg18z

Evidently
Old
  (#7)
Snapshot9
son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Snapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond reputeSnapshot9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 260

Evidently - 10-09-2008, 07:12 AM

You guys do not know that ring game rules for 9 ball differ from 10 ball.
9 ball ring games are played the same way the Texas Holdem rules are for the pros with BIH anywhere on the table for fouls. A miss is BIH.

10 ball ring games are played like you know the rules to be.

Kind of like the difference for rules between a Texas Holdem type tournament vs. A Last Man Standing tournament.

Scott 'Snapshot' Fraser
'Snap Lock' of the famous Lock Society
Don't judge yourself by what you have accomplished, but rather by what you should accomplish with your abilities - John Wooden

Old
  (#8)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshot9
9 ball ring games are played the same way the Texas Holdem rules are for the pros with BIH anywhere on the table for fouls. A miss is BIH.
Since when?? I've never even seen it played that way all the years I've played. Like any other rules, they seem to vary from region to region. I certainly would never play this way.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ldhxbll58urg18z

Old
  (#9)
KoolKat9Lives
Taught 'em all I know
KoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

10-09-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapshot9

10 ball ring games are played like you know the rules to be.

Kind of like the difference for rules between a Texas Holdem type tournament vs. A Last Man Standing tournament.
Ummm, evidently us Carolinains don't know sqwat ('cause we's playin' same 9 ball rules as Skunkboy outlined).

BTW, what the heck is Texas Holdem? I know of Texas Express rules...

9 or 10 ball ring game rules
Old
  (#10)
nancewayne
AzB Silver Member
nancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond repute

9 or 10 ball ring game rules - 10-11-2008, 07:15 AM

The "old" rules (before TV Texas Express...ball in hand, etc.) are used when more than 2 players are in the game. Those rules include; all balls made are spotted on all fouls and if the cue ball scratches, the cueball is next shot from "the kitchen" by the next player. That turn can be passed back to the previous player that committed the foul, then he shoots from "the kitchen". These rules work for both 9-ball and 10-ball.

These rules definitely make each game longer (more shots).

The World 10-ball rules even spot the 10 ball made on the break!

Old
  (#11)
smoooothstroke
JerLaw
smoooothstroke has a reputation beyond reputesmoooothstroke has a reputation beyond reputesmoooothstroke has a reputation beyond reputesmoooothstroke has a reputation beyond reputesmoooothstroke has a reputation beyond reputesmoooothstroke has a reputation beyond reputesmoooothstroke has a reputation beyond reputesmoooothstroke has a reputation beyond reputesmoooothstroke has a reputation beyond reputesmoooothstroke has a reputation beyond reputesmoooothstroke has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2008, 12:24 PM

1 before the 9,2 before the 5.

option instead of bih

no safes(honest effort to hit the ball)

shoot from the kitchen on scratches,if the object ball is in the kitchen it spots.

be ready to shoot on your turn(know who you follow)

sharking is allowed but can be agreed apon by the participants

allways crap rack some1 who just broke and ran

Old
  (#12)
TheGaintKiller
AzB Silver Member
TheGaintKiller is a jewel in the roughTheGaintKiller is a jewel in the roughTheGaintKiller is a jewel in the roughTheGaintKiller is a jewel in the rough

01-04-2010, 12:55 PM

I have a question??? I was playing a ring game with a couple of buddies. Someone broke and miss cued, the cueball never made contact with another ball in the rack (the balls are still racked up).

Now my question is, does the cue ball stay where its is and the person following gets the opition to shoot or have them shoot from where the cueball is? or Do you get to move the cue ball back in the kitchen and get the opition to take it or let them break???

Old
  (#13)
mikeyfrost
Bigger than Capitalism
mikeyfrost has a reputation beyond reputemikeyfrost has a reputation beyond reputemikeyfrost has a reputation beyond reputemikeyfrost has a reputation beyond reputemikeyfrost has a reputation beyond reputemikeyfrost has a reputation beyond reputemikeyfrost has a reputation beyond reputemikeyfrost has a reputation beyond reputemikeyfrost has a reputation beyond reputemikeyfrost has a reputation beyond reputemikeyfrost has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 200
  Send a message via AIM to mikeyfrost  
01-04-2010, 01:02 PM

I have a thread with 10-ball ring game rules and how to run the tournament. I ran some successful ring games...I'll edit this post with the link when I find it.

Here's the link to the thread. Read it, it has some good stuff.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=148394

"I make my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make 20 bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because there is simply no play. So I wait, plan, marshal my resources, and when I finally see my opportunity and there is a bet to make... I bet it all." ~ Arnold Rothstein

Last edited by mikeyfrost; 01-04-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Added forum link to 10 ball ring game rules

Old
  (#14)
TheGaintKiller
AzB Silver Member
TheGaintKiller is a jewel in the roughTheGaintKiller is a jewel in the roughTheGaintKiller is a jewel in the roughTheGaintKiller is a jewel in the rough

01-04-2010, 01:20 PM

Thanks that was helpful. Also do the same rules apply for 9ball???

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: