BK2 Break Cue - Jump Conversion??

i4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi All,

How much should I expect to pay to have this done?

I've had good results jumping with my full length BK2 and thought maybe I could get better results if it was converted to a Jump/Break cue. I'd like to get a little more versatility out of my break cue, if at all possible.

I performed a search and found someone here had something like this done around '06 on a BK1.

Below you will find pics of what I'd like done. The only difference would be that I'd like a Radial wood-to-wood joint for the jump section.

What do you think? Has anyone else done this on their BK2? Lastly, any recommendations for who to have the work done? Thanks in advance!

bk-jump1.jpg

bk-jump2.jpg

bk-jump3.jpg

bk-jump4.jpg

Regards,
Abe

HeLLFiSH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KJ, who does work for Seyberts has done this type of conversion before, he posts here under the name 'KJ Cues'. I'm sure he'll be able to give you a quote on the cost. Adding a Radial pin will make the cue heavier in the forearm, which might affect the balance and performance. I dont have a converted BK2 to J/B, so I can not comment on its ability to do both.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
From a practical perspective, how could you cut the wrapless butt into two pieces and not end up with a step when stuck back together?

The width of cutter would take away some of the material (& taper) and cause a slight "step" at the new joint...unless you retapered the handle end slightly and refinished it. The wrap version would be OK because you'd only have to refinsih an inch or so.

Robertduke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just by a predator air.. Or another jump stick.. Predator shafts are tricky to jump with for some ppl.. Just my 2 cents take it as you will

The Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
innovative4pool said:
Hi All,

How much should I expect to pay to have this done?

I've had good results jumping with my full length BK2 and thought maybe I could get better results if it was converted to a Jump/Break cue. I'd like to get a little more versatility out of my break cue, if at all possible.

I performed a search and found someone here had something like this done around '06 on a BK1.

Below you will find pics of what I'd like done. The only difference would be that I'd like a Radial wood-to-wood joint for the jump section.

What do you think? Has anyone else done this on their BK2? Lastly, any recommendations for who to have the work done? Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Abe

Abe,

Who did this conversion?

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Robertduke said:
Just by a predator air.. Or another jump stick.. Predator shafts are tricky to jump with for some ppl.. Just my 2 cents take it as you will

I was thinking the same thing....A Jacoby is $100 - how much to have the Predator "converted"??

i4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
From a practical perspective, how could you cut the wrapless butt into two pieces and not end up with a step when stuck back together?

This is a good question. I'll be asking KJ cues this. Maybe one of the Cuesmith's on here has the answer?

Robertduke said:

Robertduke & trustyrusty- This is definitely an option. The decision will be based on cost to do the work. I hope it's not too pricey. I'd also like not to have to carry a 3rd piece of equipment (the jump cue).

I've had good results jumping with my BK2. I think the BK shafts are different than the 314's or Z's. Can anyone confirm?

The Beginner said:
Abe,

Who did this conversion?

I'm not sure who did the conversion pictured above. I snagged the pics off of another AZer's post. I'll see if I could find it again and I'll post a link to his thread.

Regards,
Abe

Natural

Banned
innovative4pool said:
Hi Natural-- Please elaborate. Thanks.

-Abe

If you ask the cue makers, most of them say that a Break cue and a jump cue should not be one in the same. This is due to the break cue needing extremely low deflection and the opposite on the Jump cue.

Ask about this in the Cuemaker section. They have really good info :wink:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Hello To All,
And yes, I'm the CM that does all of Seybert's work. I've converted many BKs to J/Bs including the one pictured. So many questions to address.
True, the handle is cut at a specified point on the handle but when I'm done there is no step. Look at the pics carefully and you'll notice that phenolic collars are added at the new joint. This is done to add strength to the joint. Of course there is finish work done and once the clear-coat is wet sanded and buffed out, there is no step. It's as if the factory built it.

Quote/Natural
"If you ask the cue makers, most of them say that a Break cue and a jump cue should not be one in the same. This is due to the break cue needing extremely low deflection and the opposite on the Jump cue."

I don't necessarily agree with this statement, either one. The BK is already a great break cue. By doing the conversion you aren't taking anything away from that. In fact, you're now giving a great break cue the added ability of breaking down quickly to give you jump capabilities. Arguably, the jump section will perform much better than a full length cue.
In all honesty, the qualities that make-up a break shaft are the same in a jump shaft. Ideally you want a stiff shaft in either cue. Flex is lost energy. Extremely low deflection is not a requirement in a break shaft.

JoeBoxer & Hellfish,
Thank you kindly for the referrals. You guys are aces.

Abe,
I'll now go reply to your PM.

coryjeb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
joeboxer said:
Thats KJ's work. He does the seyberts repairs/conversions. You cant go wrong with KJ, he does outstanding work.
Good luck

Tap, Tap, Tap to this, KJ does a great job.