An Old Road Story! "1979" Longview,Texas

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Well this "Old Road Story" takes place back in 1979, ....................

When I had been running around with my brother Country Calvin Harcrow,.. back when Ermand Bullard, Gary Seay,Doug Wells,Jimmy Sanders,Scotty Townsend,Hawaiian Brian,Charlie "Good Times" Owens, Steve Gumphrey, Joey Barns"the black guy from DFW",Jerald "Top Water" Jackson from Houston, Billy Weir,Johnny Frankland & Jim Murrel from Odessa,Ted Copeland,Rod Surfer,John McCarthey,Danny Jones,"Topsy" from Shreveport, Little Wayne,Randy Dorsey, Billy Newton,Gene Greathouse,Tom Green,Mike Watson,Mike Bosswell,Rick Thompson from Kansas,Earl Kellum,Walter Glass,Curtis Payne,Fat Paul,David Matlock,Mark Wilson, and numerous other backers & players ...Converged on Longview,Texas at the Motel/Bar "Talley Ho" and the pool room "The Last Stop"......

It didn't matter if it was a Tuesday/Wednesday ...3:00 in the evening or midnite you could get $5.00, $50.00 or $500.00 ACTION!, at either place.

Wherever Country Calvin went the Action was soon to follow!
I guess it was because he was 1/2 ball under a World Champion,everyone liked Calvin, crowds of people would gather to watch him play and he could stir-up action faster than anyone I ever saw, just a "Good Ole Country Boy!", he was/is.

Me,Calvin,Charlie,Scotty,Top Water, and Steve Gumphrey shared a room/appt. at the "Motel Talley Ho" for about six months , it had a Fredg., Stove, 3 beds, and TV..we took shifts sleeping so it worked out very well.

There's many stories I could tell about being in Longview at this time, but this is the one I'm going to tell........

I had been playing John McCarthey some 9-ball sets, I was getting the wild 7 and had gotten beat outta $1,400.....( Steve Gumphrey had even been in with me on some of it)..it was kinda weird cause John beats me giving the 7, Joel Barns beats John getting the 8, Jerald beats John even, and I beat Jerald even and I can give Joel the 8 and win at the time.....WEIRD!......anyways!

Well at that time when playing pool it was customary to give back the losser 10% of the loosing...so John gave me a $140.00 "Walking Stick" something you never here of now, but then it was so your opponent could "Pump Up"

"Good Time" Charlie ask me after the match with John McCarthey if I wanted to take a road trip to Dallas,Texas and I said yes .....we took off in his old Volks Wagon car, I slept all the way about 150 miles from Longview to Dallas, when we got there, we arrived at some old dinky bar outside of town about midnite, I got down with this guy immediately for $20.00 playing 9-Ball and then it went to $50.00 agame, well I soon busted him for $540.00

Charlie says lets go to New Orleans, I said OK!.....we took off ..I slept all the way to Baton Rouge, La. and woke up in the parking lot at Greenway Billiards, well Charlie got down with this guy called "Shorty" giving Shorty the 8 playing 9-ball for 50.00 agame, it then soon went to $100.00...well Charlie soon busted him for $1,800.00......Charlie sure was playing some awesome pool!

Well Charlie had a brother that lived in Houma, La (not far from New Orleans) and we crashed there for the night.

The next day/night we went to "Roaches Roman Room" in New Orleans, well I didn't play any and Charlie got up there and won about $300.00 off the locals, and the owner befriended us (some friend)(Doubled stirred us into Kim Davenport).....well we left that bar and went to a place the owner sent us, .....wasn't long and we got a phone call from the owner at Roaches Roman Room to come back to his place , said that a cowboy was there and he wanted to bet high, so we took off that way.

We got there and sure enough this guy in a cowboy hat and boots wanted to play some 9-ball race sets for $200.00.

Me and Charlie had been in halfvers all this time but it seemed kinda strange to me about this cowboy, but I went in on the bet anyway. Well the cowboy played like a monster, running out from everywhere, but Charlie at that time was playing the best pool in his life, and we was already on a roll of sort, so as it come out Charlie bested him that night out of $1,400.00

We gave the owner a $140.00 jelly roll, ( he couldn't lose he was getting a jelly roll no matter who won) so after the game we went back to Charlie's brothers house in Houma to sleep for the night.

The next day I wanted to go back to Arkansas, but for some reason Charlie wanted to go back to New Orleans and play the cowboy some more, cause he offered to play again.

Well, it was mostly Charlies dough that we had won , but I did do all the leg work with side bets and getting Charlie whatever he needed during the game, he talked me into going back to New Orleans with him, I didn't want too, but...

we got there and went to playing $500.00 a race this time, well today the cowboy had on lax pants,loose shirt and tennis shoes, more comfortable for playing, I was kinda nervous, and walked outside and saw this "Gold Cadillac" License plates from California!!!.....

"then it hit me!"...I heard one the guy's refer to this "Cowboy" as Kim...

I came in and told Charlie he was playing "Kim Davenport" from California....
hehe....I shouldn't have said that to him,Charlie fell apart after that.....needless to say we lost almost all our cash!.........and it WAS him!..shoulda went on to Arkansas....but that's pool and gambling!

Charlie and I went to Monroe,La, we spent the night at his mothers' house, Then the next morning I got into my truck which was there, and drove to Arkansas, I had $200.00 left......stopped by this bar/nighclub in Camden,Arkansas and started playing this guy 9-Ball for $20.00 and won $2,000!

All this happen in less than a week!

That's pool at it's finest!:smile:

David Harcrow

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
NOW that's a road story. I like Charlie. Beat me out of a little playing one pocket at Shooter's one year. Told me Buddy Hall gave him his name because he kept trying to beat Buddy and Buddy supposedly said, "you aren't coming here to win, just to have a Good Time". Least that's how I heard it.

Rep to you David - Keep em coming!

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catpool9 said:

When I had been running around with my brother Country Calvin,.. back when Ermand Bullard, Gary Seay,Doug Wells,Jimmy Sanders,Scotty Townsend,Hawiian Brian,Charley "Good Times" Owens, Steve Gumphrey, Joel "the black guy from DFW",Jerald "Top Water" Jackson from Houston, Billy Wear,Jim Murrel ( what a creep!),Ted Copeland,Rod Surfer,John McCarthey, Little Wayne, Billy Newton,Gene Greathouse,Curtis Payne,Fat Paul,David Matlock,Mark Wilson, and numerous other backers & players ...Converged on Longview,Texas at the "Motel/Bar Talley Ho" and the pool room "The Last Stop"......

It didn't matter if it was a Tuesday/Wednesday ...3:00 in the evening or midnite you could get $5.00, $50.00 or $500.00 ACTION!

I guess it was because he was 1/2 ball under a World Champion, and a "Good Ole Country Boy!" at the time.

Me,Calvin,Charley,Scotty,Top Water, and Steve Gumphrey shared a room/appt. at the Talley Ho, it had a Fredg, Stove, 3 beds, and TV..we took shifts sleeping!

There's many stories I could tell about being in Longview at this time, but this is the one I'm going to tell........

I had been playing John McCarthey some 9-ball sets, I was getting the wild 7 and had gotten beat outta $1,400.....( Steve Gumphrey had even been in with me on some of it)..it was kinda weird cause John beats me giving the 7, Joel beats John getting the 8, Jerald beats John even, and I beat Jerald even and can give Joel the 8 and win at the time.....WEIRD!......anyways!

Well at that time when playing pool it was customary to give back the losser 10% of the loosing...so John gave me a $140.00 "Walking Stick" something you never here of now, but then it was so your opponent could "Pump Up"

"Good Time" Charley ask me after the match with John if I wanted to take a road trip to Dallas,Texas and I said yes .....we took off in his old Volks Wagon car, I slept all the way about 150 miles from Longview, when we got there, we arrived at some old dinky bar outside of town about midnite, I got down with this guy immediately for $20.00 then it went to $50.00 agame, well I soon busted him for $540.00

Charley says lets go to New Orleans, I said OK!.....we took off ..I slept all the way to Baton Rouge, La. and woke up in the parking lot at Greenway Billiards, well Charley got down with this guy called "Shorty" giving Shorty the 8 playing 9-ball for 50.00 agame, then soon went to $100.00...well Charley soon busted him for $1,800......Charley sure was playing some awesome pool!

Well Charley had a brother that lived in Hohmua, La (not far from New Orleans) and we crashed there for the night.

The next day/night we went to "Roaches Roman Room" in New Orleans, well I didn't play any and Charley got up there and won about $300.00 off the locals, and the owner befriended us (some friend)(Doubled stirred us into player below).....well we left that bar and went to a place the owner sent us, .....wasn't long and we got a phone call from the owner at Roaches Roman Room to come back to his place , said that there was this cowboy there and he wanted to bet high, so we took off that way.

We got there and sure enough this guy in a cowboy hat and boots wanted to play some 9-ball race sets for $200.00.

Me and Charley had been in halfvers all this time but it seemed kinda strange to me about this cowboy, but I went in anyway. well the cowboy played like a monster, running out from everywhere, but Charley at that time was playing the best pool in his life, and we was already on a roll of sort, so as it come out Charley bested him that night out of $1,400.00

We gave the owner a $140.00 jelly roll, and we went back to his brothers to sleep for the night.

The next day I wanted to go back to Arkansas, but for some reason Charley wanted to go back to New Orleans and play the cowboy some more, cause he offered to play again.

Well, it was mostly Charleys dough that we had won so we went back, I didn't want too, but...
we got there and went to playing $500.00 a race this time, well today the cowboy had on lax pants, and tennis shoes, more comfortable for playing, I was kinda nervous, and walked outside and saw this "Gold Cadillac" License plates from California!!!.....

"then it hit me!"...I heard one the guy's refere to this "Cowboy" as Kim...

I came in and told Charley he was playing "Kim Davenport" from california....
hehe..I shouldn't have said that that to him, he fell apart after that.....needless to say we lost almost all our dough!.........and it WAS him!..shoulda went on to Arkansas....but that's pool and gambling!

Charley went to Monroe,La, I got into my truck which was there, and drove to Arkansas, I had $200.00 left......stopped by this bar/nighclub in Camden,Arkansas and started playing this guy for $20.00 and won $2,000!

David Harcrow

Great story David. Sure brings back some mem's. Longview was always a good town for me. Did you know Tommy Moorman ? His joint was always a regular stop for most guys, between Dallas and Shreveport.

Dick

(my time was a little earlier, like mid to late 60's)

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catpool9 said:

When I had been running around with my brother Country Calvin,.. back when Ermand Bullard, Gary Seay,Doug Wells,Jimmy Sanders,Scotty Townsend,Hawiian Brian,Charley "Good Times" Owens, Steve Gumphrey, Joel "the black guy from DFW",Jerald "Top Water" Jackson from Houston, Billy Wear,Jim Murrel ( what a creep!),Ted Copeland,Rod Surfer,John McCarthey, Little Wayne, Billy Newton,Gene Greathouse,Curtis Payne,Fat Paul,David Matlock,Mark Wilson, and numerous other backers & players ...Converged on Longview,Texas at the "Motel/Bar Talley Ho" and the pool room "The Last Stop"......

It didn't matter if it was a Tuesday/Wednesday ...3:00 in the evening or midnite you could get $5.00, $50.00 or $500.00 ACTION!

I guess it was because he was 1/2 ball under a World Champion, and a "Good Ole Country Boy!" at the time.

Me,Calvin,Charley,Scotty,Top Water, and Steve Gumphrey shared a room/appt. at the Talley Ho, it had a Fredg, Stove, 3 beds, and TV..we took shifts sleeping!

I had been playing John McCarthey some 9-ball sets, I was getting the wild 7 and had gotten beat outta $1,400.....( Steve Gumphrey had even been in with me on some of it)..it was kinda weird cause John beats me giving the 7, Joel beats John getting the 8, Jerald beats John even, and I beat Jerald even and can give Joel the 8 and win at the time.....WEIRD!......anyways!

"Good Time" Charley ask me after the match with John if I wanted to take a road trip to Dallas,Texas and I said yes .....we took off in his old Volks Wagon car, I slept all the way about 150 miles from Longview, when we got there, we arrived at some old dinky bar outside of town about midnite, I got down with this guy immediately for $20.00 then it went to $50.00 agame, well I soon busted him for $540.00

Charley says lets go to New Orleans, I said OK!.....we took off ..I slept all the way to Baton Rouge, La. and woke up in the parking lot at Greenway Billiards, well Charley got down with this guy called "Shorty" giving Shorty the 8 playing 9-ball for 50.00 agame, then soon went to $100.00...well Charley soon busted him for $1,800......Charley sure was playing some awesome pool!

Well Charley had a brother that lived in Hohmua, La (not far from New Orleans) and we crashed there for the night.

The next day/night we went to "Roaches Roman Room" in New Orleans, well I didn't play any and Charley got up there and won about $300.00 off the locals, and the owner befriended us (some friend)(Doubled stirred us into player below).....well we left that bar and went to a place the owner sent us, .....wasn't long and we got a phone call from the owner at Roaches Roman Room to come back to his place , said that there was this cowboy there and he wanted to bet high, so we took off that way.

Me and Charley had been in halfvers all this time but it seemed kinda strange to me about this cowboy, but I went in anyway. well the cowboy played like a monster, running out from everywhere, but Charley at that time was playing the best pool in his life, and we was already on a roll of sort, so as it come out Charley bested him that night out of $1,400.00

We gave the owner a $140.00 jelly roll, and we went back to his brothers to sleep for the night.

The next day I wanted to go back to Arkansas, but for some reason Charley wanted to go back to New Orleans and play the cowboy some more, cause he offered to play again.

Well, it was mostly Charleys dough that we had won so we went back, I didn't want too, but...
we got there and went to playing $500.00 a race this time, well today the cowboy had on lax pants, and tennis shoes, more comfortable for playing, I was kinda nervous, and walked outside and saw this "Gold Cadillac" License plates from California!!!.....

hehe..I shouldn't have said that that to him, he fell apart after that.....needless to say we lost almost all our dough!.........and it WAS him!..shoulda went on to Arkansas....but that's pool and gambling!

Charley went to Monroe,La, I got into my truck which was there, and drove to Arkansas, I had $200.00 left......stopped by this bar/nighclub in Camden,Arkansas and started playing this guy for $20.00 and won $2,000!

David Harcrow

Old Charlie is back in good health again and dgetting around good. It was touch and go there for a while.

Was the bar in Camden the Retreat and Don Mckissick?
I was up that way last week and heard that place had burned down. Don was a score if he was worked right.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
catpool9 said:

David Harcrow

Thanks for the story David. I read this and feel like I missed out on something. Back in those days there was so much action at pool all across the country. A smart road man could actually make a decent living. Travel expenses weren't too bad back then either, $25-30 motels and .50 cent gas.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great, great, great read. "Roaches Roman Room." LOL!

:rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catpool9 said:

David Harcrow

Here's one on David that I remember.

I grew up in a small town in southern Arkansas. To get any action, we usually headed toward Louisiana. Mostly it was $5.00 $10.00 or maybe $20.00 per game, but in those days being where we were from, it was good action.

I grew up with a guy named Barry. Now Barry is a country bumpkin tyype, but a good guy and just loved the game. Still, Barry stood about 6 ft 2 in and weighed a fairly solid 280-300 pounds and was pretty athletic.

Barry worked in the ooil field and made pretty good money, but had some days off and invited me to take a little trip with him towards Warrne Arkansas. Little did I know his plan involved someone named Harcrowe.

We get to Warren and go to an old pool room and ask around and low an behold apears David. He steers us to this Tastee Freeze with a bar table on the patio and away they go.

Barry got drilled. I mean drilled. David beat on him so badly that Barry started pushing out to hook David. I asked Barry why he was doing that and dhis reply was, "Hell, he can't get out from there." You could stick a fork in Barry, he was done.

The exact outcome I don't remember, but David won several hundred at $20.00 per game. David was a class guy and a good winner though, that I do remember.

We left Warren by early evening and started back when he decided to swing through Camden Ark. There was a nice club there called the Retreat and the owner was a guy named Don who played just terribly, but would bet a little.

By now Barry is punch goofy and lets me play the guy and I ended up giving the guy like the 7 and won $3500. A few minutes later, I look on the sidelines and there stands Calvin. I about tore the door off it's hinges getting out of there. I had heard the name Harcrowe all I wanted that day.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't like Longview

Longview Texas cost me over a quarter million. That is where my ex is from!

I did beat Jeanette Lee at the Dairy Queen in nearby Kilgore Texas. I have a picture somewhere. That was the first I knew that "the" Jeanette Lee had a pinball machine out. I beat the pinball machine of course, not the lady!

Hu

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
Good Old Days

Thanks for sharing!

I haven't seen Calvin since I was at his room in Texarkana about 1997 or 1998 and Big John came in looking for action. When Shreveport was having the monthly tournament all the player were showing up just like they did in Longview. I seen Curtis Payne when came thru Sherman, TX. about 2000. Jimmy Sander is doing well at the Horseshoe Casino in Bossier City, but it's been about 4 years since I called him. Last time I seen Goodtime Charlie was in Sherman at a Texas Express Tournament. I did see Scotty Townsend at the Houston Open about 2000 when he and Raphael Martinez was woofing at each other.

1979 was when I had my motorcycle accident and missed out on the players action, and didn't start playing again till 1984.

I always had thoughts of trying to get in touch with all the old players and having a tournament reunion, now that would be something.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
JB Cases said:
NOW that's a road story. I like Charlie. Beat me out of a little playing one pocket at Shooter's one year. Told me Buddy Hall gave him his name because he kept trying to beat Buddy and Buddy supposedly said, "you aren't coming here to win, just to have a Good Time". Least that's how I heard it.

Rep to you David - Keep em coming!

Thanks JB, yep Good Time was from Monroe,La., he and Scotty frequented the Guy's n Doll's pool room over in Shreveport. thats where Buddy hung his hat for a long time.

David Harcrow

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
SJDinPHX said:
Great story David. Sure brings back some mem's. Longview was always a good town for me. Did you know Tommy Moorman ? His joint was always a regular stop for most guys, between Dallas and Shreveport.

Dick

(my time was a little earlier, like mid to late 60's)

Thanks Dick, no I never knew Tommy Moorman, just alittle before my time.

David Harcrow

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Retreat

ironman said:
Old Charlie is back in good health again and dgetting around good. It was touch and go there for a while.

Was the bar in Camden the Retreat and Don Mckissick?
I was up that way last week and heard that place had burned down. Don was a score if he was worked right.

Yes Lewis the nightclub was the Retreat!, but I didn't play Donald Ray.
That Retreat useto ROLL didn't it!, "Little Las Vegas" for sure!, no telling how many times I've been in there after hours shooting pool and a big crowd of about 25 or 30 people shooting dice on the 9ft. pool table...

to bad Donald Ray got killed on that tractor doing some bushhogging back in the mid 80's, I really did like ole Don!

David Harcrow

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
JAM said:
Great, great, great read. "Roaches Roman Room." LOL!

:rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1: :rotflmao1:

Thanks Jam,

David Harcrow

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
catpool9 said:

David Harcrow

Did you know a guy named Phillip Hyde from Port Arthur Tx? He played pretty good about that time and used to talk about playing in Longview.

I knew Murrel too. I loaned him $10 after he went bust to a guy named Lafitte at the old Circle Club near Vinton, Louisiana. He was able to come back and bust the guy using my $10. And he gave me my $10 back and a pill... what a nice guy!! His ex married a friend that was running the pool hall in Shreveport/Bossier City where Eddie Taylor had his HOF celebration.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Warren,Arkansas

ironman said:
Here's one on David that I remember.

I grew up in a small town in southern Arkansas. To get any action, we usually headed toward Louisiana. Mostly it was $5.00 $10.00 or maybe $20.00 per game, but in those days being where we were from, it was good action.

I grew up with a guy named Barry. Now Barry is a country bumpkin tyype, but a good guy and just loved the game. Still, Barry stood about 6 ft 2 in and weighed a fairly solid 280-300 pounds and was pretty athletic.

Barry worked in the ooil field and made pretty good money, but had some days off and invited me to take a little trip with him towards Warrne Arkansas. Little did I know his plan involved someone named Harcrowe.

We get to Warren and go to an old pool room and ask around and low an behold apears David. He steers us to this Tastee Freeze with a bar table on the patio and away they go.

Barry got drilled. I mean drilled. David beat on him so badly that Barry started pushing out to hook David. I asked Barry why he was doing that and dhis reply was, "Hell, he can't get out from there." You could stick a fork in Barry, he was done.

The exact outcome I don't remember, but David won several hundred at $20.00 per game. David was a class guy and a good winner though, that I do remember.

We left Warren by early evening and started back when he decided to swing through Camden Ark. There was a nice club there called the Retreat and the owner was a guy named Don who played just terribly, but would bet a little.

By now Barry is punch goofy and lets me play the guy and I ended up giving the guy like the 7 and won $3500. A few minutes later, I look on the sidelines and there stands Calvin. I about tore the door off it's hinges getting out of there. I had heard the name Harcrowe all I wanted that day.

Thanks Lewis for the complements, yes I was on the Stick that day for sure. It was 30 yrs. ago but I remember it very clearly, ole Barry is a good person and did shoot a good stick at times, thanks again for bringing back some fond memories!

David Harcrow

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
in those days

jay helfert said:
Thanks for the story David. I read this and feel like I missed out on something. Back in those days there was so much action at pool all across the country. A smart road man could actually make a decent living. Travel expenses weren't too bad back then either, $25-30 motels and .50 cent gas.

Thanks Jay, yes back in that "Era" all a pool player had to do was just find a pool table, seemed like everyone gambled some, and the best thing about it was, "no cell or video phones, no Internet, and I don't think there were pagers at the time either", made it kinda hard to get Knocked!

David Harcrow

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Longview Texas cost me over a quarter million. That is where my ex is from!

I did beat Jeanette Lee at the Dairy Queen in nearby Kilgore Texas. I have a picture somewhere. That was the first I knew that "the" Jeanette Lee had a pinball machine out. I beat the pinball machine of course, not the lady!

Hu

Hu, at least you got a fond memory about the Dairy Queen, "Jeanette Lee" a pretty Lady!

Daviid Harcrow

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Papa Red said:
Thanks for sharing!

I haven't seen Calvin since I was at his room in Texarkana about 1997 or 1998 and Big John came in looking for action. When Shreveport was having the monthly tournament all the player were showing up just like they did in Longview. I seen Curtis Payne when came thru Sherman, TX. about 2000. Jimmy Sander is doing well at the Horseshoe Casino in Bossier City, but it's been about 4 years since I called him. Last time I seen Goodtime Charlie was in Sherman at a Texas Express Tournament. I did see Scotty Townsend at the Houston Open about 2000 when he and Raphael Martinez was woofing at each other.

1979 was when I had my motorcycle accident and missed out on the players action, and didn't start playing again till 1984.

I always had thoughts of trying to get in touch with all the old players and having a tournament reunion, now that would be something.

Thanks Papa Red, yeah Big John came to a few of the tournaments Calvin and I had, Curtis stayed at my place when I was living in Texarkana for about a month back 5 or 6 yrs. ago, I've seen Jimmy Sanders over at the Horseshoe a few times, he seemed real happy and looked good, I haven't seen Scotty T or Good Time in about 5 yrs. now.

Daviid Harcrow