Show me your Tad Kohara cues...please.

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I'm missing a lot out there, since the our search engine has a four character minimum. So I wanted to include the full name for future searchers in this thread.

So, if you guys could tell me a little bit about yours--the history, make and purchase, playability--I'd be in your debt.

Thank you thank you.

Here's to 2009!

Getnbzy

Take 2 they're small
Silver Member
First.....

DSC_5973.jpg

DSC_5974.jpg

DSC_5975.jpg

DSC09936a.jpg

And the story of this cue is in the link in my sig under other cues:TAD

Enjoy impact

Zirroe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Impact Blue said:
I think I'm missing a lot out there, since the our search engine has a four character minimum. So I wanted to include the full name for future searchers in this thread.

So, if you guys could tell me a little bit about yours--the history, make and purchase, playability--I'd be in your debt.

Thank you thank you.

Here's to 2009!

When I was first looking for a nice cue I was looking to spend around $500. The dealer I went to showed me the J&J catalog and told me just to pick out what I liked. The only cues that I liked were the Tad cues. Couldn't afford one back then. About a year and a half later I bought one from that same dealer through J&J. It is the one 2nd to the right. It was my player for a year. I loved it, balance was perfect, I played really well with it.

The second one I received was from a friend I know from my local pool hall. His friend was quitting pool and wanted to sell it. It was a great deal so I jumped on it. Had it refinished by Tad and it looks brand new. Don't know the exact date but its from the 80s. it's the one in the middle.

Third cue I received the same way through the same friend. It was in excellent condition, it's the zebra wood one.

4th one I got was the Titlist. It's from the late 60's. Has 3 shafts, Cue was also refinished by Tad for the original owner about 9 years ago.

And last is my custom ordered one. I was able to get a custom ordered one. The one I originally wanted was too expensive so I didn't go through with it. A few months later I had the idea of getting a plain one with a fancy butt sleeve. This one has a big pin. Now I wanted this pin because I have been playing with 3/8X10 pinned cues. The feedback is great and the cue still hits stiff (like all Tads).

To sum it up, Tad is my favorite cue maker. I love how his cues play. I like the fact the handle is a little thinner than the average cue, which is good for me cause my hands are small. I hope this is what you were searching for.

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I want this to be the definitive thread gallery on Tad Kohara cues.

Post em up guys!! If they are for sale, please have their images hosted on Imageshack.us so that we may enjoy them long after purchase.

tad1.jpg

tad2.jpg

tad3v.jpg

tad4.jpg

tad5.jpg

tade.jpg

tad1.jpg

tad2.jpg

tad3.jpg

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I freaking LOVE the one's that have the super fancy butts and the forearm is only birdseye. It reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my local cuemakers that I respect deeply.

tad25.jpg

His idea is with every cut, something is taken away from the wood. The way he put it, as he was just looking off in to the distance, gave me the sense of purity of the work he does. Cuemakers are a crazy breed. And there is magic to their craft.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I completely agree, being able to see the beauty of the wood is what draws me to appreciate certains cues more than others. That being said, I have an affinity toward player cues more because of their bare forearms.

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tad,,,,,,,,,

Tad cues are some of the most unique cues out there,,,,,

i always said ''tad'' might very well be the only cue someone could see from across a room and immediately identify it as a ''tad''........

I can't figure out why he isn't in the cuemakers hof,,,,,,,,???

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tad Kohara was inducted into the International Cuemakers Association Hall of Fame in 2007.

Impact Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How silly would it sound if I've been practicing lately playing with a wrapped cue...just so when I'm ready, I can move on one of these cues.?

P1010060.jpg

The one on the right is to die for. Surrrious....

Shimmy

Inquisitive....I Am
Silver Member
This goes out to all of you. Those are some very, very nice cues. I can't imagine the hours put into some of those cues. It must be nice to have a talent for creating such beauty out of wood so others can enjoy.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hoppe Tad

I really like my Tad cue. First one was a birdseye, but the hoppe is the nutz.

Ken

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_3675.jpg
    Copy of IMG_3675.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 4,932
  • IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 4,793
  • IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 4,683

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I was first looking for a nice cue I was looking to spend around $500. The dealer I went to showed me the J&J catalog and told me just to pick out what I liked. The only cues that I liked were the Tad cues. Couldn't afford one back then. About a year and a half later I bought one from that same dealer through J&J. It is the one 2nd to the right. It was my player for a year. I loved it, balance was perfect, I played really well with it.

The second one I received was from a friend I know from my local pool hall. His friend was quitting pool and wanted to sell it. It was a great deal so I jumped on it. Had it refinished by Tad and it looks brand new. Don't know the exact date but its from the 80s. it's the one in the middle.

Third cue I received the same way through the same friend. It was in excellent condition, it's the zebra wood one.

4th one I got was the Titlist. It's from the late 60's. Has 3 shafts, Cue was also refinished by Tad for the original owner about 9 years ago.

And last is my custom ordered one. I was able to get a custom ordered one. The one I originally wanted was too expensive so I didn't go through with it. A few months later I had the idea of getting a plain one with a fancy butt sleeve. This one has a big pin. Now I wanted this pin because I have been playing with 3/8X10 pinned cues. The feedback is great and the cue still hits stiff (like all Tads).

To sum it up, Tad is my favorite cue maker. I love how his cues play. I like the fact the handle is a little thinner than the average cue, which is good for me cause my hands are small. I hope this is what you were searching for.

Great collection and that fancy one you designed is incredible. Thanks for sharing.

-don

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
Here are my hardly found and collected pictures regarding Tad. If any of them are copyrighted the owner should contact me and I will remove them as soon as I am told.

I hope you all Tad fans like and appreciate them as much as I do.

This is Joe Balsis shooting with his Tad cue.
Tad-JoeBalsis-1.jpg

Here is a picture of his cue:
Tad-JoeBalsis-2.jpg

Tad-workshop-buttsleeves.jpg

Tad-workshop-forearmblanks.jpg

tad-shop1.jpg

tad-shop2.jpg

tad-shop3.jpg

tad-shop4.jpg

Enjoy!