New York City loses another poolroom - Broadway Billiards

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got word last night that Broadway Billiards closed its doors for the last time yesterday ending 20+ years of pool at the 21st Street location. Although it was not a room I frequented, many of my friends took advantage of their cheap hourly rates and handful of well-maintained GC IIIs. Without a doubt, this will have a huge impact on the landscape of pool in Manhattan as hundreds of aspiring new players and long time veterans look for a new homeroom.

The place opened in the late 1980s in the Color Of Money boom under the name Society Billiards. The owners also had a club upstairs by the name Society Cafe and it was regarded as another upscale room in New York City. At that time, the Chelsea area was home to The Billiard Club (40+ tables), Chelsea Billiards (54 tables), Mammouth Billiards (40+ tables), Pockets (30+ tables) so the new Society Billiards and their basement location was going to make them a tough sell in a very competitive billiard market. It wasn't long before the place was sold to the Mammouth Corporation which already was buying up several rooms throughout the city.

Mammouth quickly changed the name to Broadway Billiards, dropped the hourly rate to their standard $3 per person per hour and fitted the room with their typical ice cream box right near the counter (as though every pool player is simply craving a popcicle from time to time). The hours of business were also changed to 24 hours 7 days a week which made the Broadway Billiards location Mecca to anyone that wanted to gamble or just get some practice in. During one lunch hour in my teens, with my heart racing at a million miles per hour, I ran my first rack of 9ball from the break during practice at Broadway Billiards.

Since then, the room raised their rates modestly as the rest of the Mammouth Corporation went under. The original Mammouth Billiards on 26th Street sold all of their billiard equipment (tables and all) for a reported $10,000. The Greenwich Village location, Le Q, had a reputation that could only be properly documented in police reports and their notorious reputation eventually got the best of their business. All of the midtown locations would lose their leases to more prosperous deals but Broadway Billiards seemed to endure until now.

It was a favorite for many players in New York City, especially many of the regulars who once frequented New York's best room of the 1990s, Chelsea Billiards. Easily, Broadway Billiards could be seen as the last tie to pool of the past. As stated, although this was not my room of choice, I'm sorry for my friends that will need to venture elsewhere and I'm sorry for what is to come for New York City pool. It's so frustrating to see serious pool reaching new heights in the Metropolitan area and yet, most rooms struggle to stay in business.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjm

GG11

Kill the Bunny
Silver Member
:(

Beautiful post Jude...I too was quite caught off guard by the news as I frequented Broadway rather often for my serious practice sessions requiring peace and quiet, a difficult find at some of the other pool room options here in Manhattan. Their equipment was solid while the decor was ... well, the place smelled kinda "wet" all the time... but after a few minutes of hitting balls, you kinda just didn't care, especially for the bargain price of $6/hr! ugh-

It's also where the infamous WF v. GG match was recorded -- lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZ5P644vLs < some good footage of the joint and a couple laughs.

It's really a shame. Amsterdam is always so packed now and Soho is just as expensive as ABC without the equipment quality.... <sigh>... another one bites the dust.

Last edited:

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
oh this is sad. Broadway Billiards is a little basement of a pool room. The kind that had great lighting and decent, ok sometimes decent coffee that you could buy for $.50 and great action. It was an old fashioned room, one of a dying breed. It wasn't fancy. In a city where a glass of wine is $8and table time often $10 an hour, Broadway had neither. It was $5 an hour and soda, water and coffee with vending machines that had all those foods that are unhealthy but are great at 2 am after 9 hours of playing. They also had tight and decent tables. During my 3.5 years in NYC, when I was able to play, this is where I would. It was quiet, no muss no fuss, just play.

skor

missing shots since 1995
Silver Member
Sad news!!!
It wasn't the best place in the city but probably the cheapest... Back in the mid 90s I used to go there sometimes to practice in the afternoons although I would normally go to Corner Billiards (now Amsterdam) or Soho Billiards (is this place still around?)

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
skor said:
Sad news!!!
It wasn't the best place in the city but probably the cheapest... Back in the mid 90s I used to go there sometimes to practice in the afternoons although I would normally go to Corner Billiards (now Amsterdam) or Soho Billiards (is this place still around?)

Yes, Soho Billiards is still in business. They went through a renovation stint recently but it appears to be a continuous work-in-progress state. For a few months, there was rumor circulating about them upgrading to Diamond tables but that never happened. I think the Diamond rumor is their excuse for not reclothing.

I really wish they'd get their act together. It's an awesome location both in terms of proximity to the subway and layout. Speaking from the heart, if Amsterdam owned that location, it would be the nuts.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
I got word last night that Broadway Billiards closed its doors for the last time yesterday ending 20+ years of pool at the 21st Street location. Although it was not a room I frequented, many of my friends took advantage of their cheap hourly rates and handful of well-maintained GC IIIs. Without a doubt, this will have a huge impact on the landscape of pool in Manhattan as hundreds of aspiring new players and long time veterans look for a new homeroom.

The place opened in the late 1980s in the Color Of Money boom under the name Society Billiards. The owners also had a club upstairs by the name Society Cafe and it was regarded as another upscale room in New York City. At that time, the Chelsea area was home to The Billiard Club (40+ tables), Chelsea Billiards (54 tables), Mammouth Billiards (40+ tables), Pockets (30+ tables) so the new Society Billiards and their basement location was going to make them a tough sell in a very competitive billiard market. It wasn't long before the place was sold to the Mammouth Corporation which already was buying up several rooms throughout the city.

Mammouth quickly changed the name to Broadway Billiards, dropped the hourly rate to their standard $3 per person per hour and fitted the room with their typical ice cream box right near the counter (as though every pool player is simply craving a popcicle from time to time). The hours of business were also changed to 24 hours 7 days a week which made the Broadway Billiards location Mecca to anyone that wanted to gamble or just get some practice in. During one lunch hour in my teens, with my heart racing at a million miles per hour, I ran my first rack of 9ball from the break during practice at Broadway Billiards.

Since then, the room raised their rates modestly as the rest of the Mammouth Corporation went under. The original Mammouth Billiards on 26th Street sold all of their billiard equipment (tables and all) for a reported $10,000. The Greenwich Village location, Le Q, had a reputation that could only be properly documented in police reports and their notorious reputation eventually got the best of their business. All of the midtown locations would lose their leases to more prosperous deals but Broadway Billiards seemed to endure until now.

It was a favorite for many players in New York City, especially many of the regulars who once frequented New York's best room of the 1990s, Chelsea Billiards. Easily, Broadway Billiards could be seen as the last tie to pool of the past. As stated, although this was not my room of choice, I'm sorry for my friends that will need to venture elsewhere and I'm sorry for what is to come for New York City pool. It's so frustrating to see serious pool reaching new heights in the Metropolitan area and yet, most rooms struggle to stay in business.

That's sad to hear. I didn't play there often but it was open 24 hours so it was good to know you could go there whenever. I remember gambling for the first time ever there, it was the mid 90's and I played Spanish Eddie some $10 one pocket. Good memories.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Good trip down memory lane, Jude.

I think Chelsea Billiards in the 1990's had a lot in common with the old Golden Q (Queens, NY) atmosphere of the 1970's and early and mid-1980's. In fact, some of Chelsea's action players (one example is Teddy the Greek) were Golden Q transplants. And , of course, when Chelsea closed, many of its action players went to Broadway Billiards.

Also, Chelsea and Mammoth were the only two rooms that had three cushion billiard tables, though the tables at Mammoth were not heated. I pulled some three cushion all-nighters at Chelsea. Now, I have go to Queens on days I play thee cushion.

Finally, as far as I can recall, Chelsea was the city's only poolroom with snooker tables.

Where have the good old days gone? On the bright side, we still have the Amsterdam Billiard Club, the standard by which all pool-playing expereinces must be judged,

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
Good trip down memory lane, Jude.

I think Chelsea Billiards in the 1990's had a lot in common with the old Golden Q (Queens, NY) atmosphere of the 1970's and early and mid-1980's. In fact, some of Chelsea's action players (one example is Teddy the Greek) were Golden Q transplants. And , of course, when Chelsea closed, many of its action players went to Broadway Billiards.

Also, Chelsea and Mammoth were the only two rooms that had three cushion billiard tables, though the tables at Mammoth were not heated. I pulled some three cushion all-nighters at Chelsea. Now, I have go to Queens on days I play thee cushion.

Finally, as far as I can recall, Chelsea was the city's only poolroom with snooker tables.

Where have the good old days gone? On the bright side, we still have the Amsterdam Billiard Club, the standard by which all pool-playing expereinces must be judged,

Actually, Mammoth had a snooker table right at the front of the room and The Billiard Club had one downstairs. Both were deemed mediocre by the Snooker elites which is why Chelsea Billiards' set-up was so popular.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Stinks this is happening,my old home room in NY closed down,Classic Cue in Middletown,miss that place. :frown: