Did I run my first rack of 9-ball?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Last night while playing the 9-ball segment of my league match, my opponent sunk 2 balls and the cue ball in on the break. With ball in hand, I took position on the 1-ball, and preceded make every shot in order except a missed bank on the 6-ball which kicked in the 8-ball into the side pocket. This gave me another shot at the 6 and a great position sinking the 9-ball. After the game, my opponent came out of his chair, congratulated me and offered to buy me a drink.

Running 7 balls is the most I ever ran in 9-ball, so I'm proud of that. Did I run my first rack of 9-ball, even with the luck shot?

nathandumoulin

WPBL / RUNOUT MEDIA
Silver Member
IMO, in order to run a rack you must either break, or else your opponent must dry break. From there you need to run out. The end result is a 9 ball run, but since he sunk 2, I don't feel this qualifies.

Others will say that you MUST break to run a rack...but technically that's a 'break and run'...so I guess opinions will vary.

On a side note, congratulations on your recent achievement. It may not be a full rack, but it's certainly progress. :)

worriedbeef

The Voice of Reason
Silver Member
depends how you look at it. you did run the rack - but it wasn't a break and run which is generally the main yardstick/goal people aspire to as opposed to coming to the table and clearing it.

nevertheless still a significant achievement!

Avathar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last night while playing the 9-ball segment of my league match, my opponent sunk 2 balls and the cue ball in on the break. With ball in hand, I took position on the 1-ball, and preceded make every shot in order except a missed bank on the 6-ball which kicked in the 8-ball into the side pocket. This gave me another shot at the 6 and a great position sinking the 9-ball. After the game, my opponent came out of his chair, congratulated me and offered to buy me a drink.

Running 7 balls is the most I ever ran in 9-ball, so I'm proud of that. Did I run my first rack of 9-ball, even with the luck shot?

even if you did not break and run or ran a complete rack, it still is a great job.. :thumbup2:

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would not say that you "broke and ran" but you did get ball in hand and run out. So if you were playing the ghost, you are up 1 game.:thumbup:

Mostly Miss

Alright, always miss
I agree, it was not a run from the break but if it was your first inning at the table and you made all the balls, sloppy or not (it is nineball), it is a run out. The number of balls is only relevant pertinent to your skill level.

If you typically only run 5 balls and ran 7 this time then consider that a victory. Anytime you get ball in hand you should run out but that only happens on tv :wink:

Cuebacca

________
Silver Member
milestone passed

Congrats! And props to your opponent for the display of good sportsmanship. :)

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did I run my first rack of 9-ball, even with the luck shot?

Yes, you did run out the rest of the rack. You didn't run the entire rack, since he sank two of the balls in the rack. You didn't break and run the rack, but you did run out the rest of the rack. If you broke and ran all the balls of a rack, you would have ran the rack, but you didn't run the entire rack. You did rack up a win though.

Is this racking your brain? :p

Seriously, break and runs can only happen in the top of the first inning, but running out a rack can happen at anytime.

teedotaj

teedot oohhhhhh
Silver Member
Yes, you did run out the rest of the rack. You didn't run the entire rack, since he sank two of the balls in the rack. You didn't break and run the rack, but you did run out the rest of the rack. If you broke and ran all the balls of a rack, you would have ran the rack, but you didn't run the entire rack. You did rack up a win though.

Is this racking your brain? :p

Seriously, break and runs can only happen in the top of the first inning, but running out a rack can happen at anytime.

lol I think what TX poolnut is trying to say is, you didn't run a rack of nine balls.

You need to have sunk all nine balls for you to consider it a "running a rack of nine balls"
You ran out, which is a good thing, but not the entire rack. =)

happy shooting =)

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I WOULD have called it a run-out if you hadn't s**t the 8 ball in. You did recover nicely and get out.
Congrats on that part.
And, as mentioned before, nice display of sprtsmanship by your opponent....unless you are a cute female...In that case he was trying to get some and he is a pig.

woody_968

BRING BACK 14.1
Silver Member
Nice out.

Nuff said.

Im glad your opponenent handled it the way he did, there is nothing I hate more than seeing a player that doesnt get out very often get out and see his opponent take it poorly!

Woody

TX Poolnut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice out.

Nuff said.

Im glad your opponenent handled it the way he did, there is nothing I hate more than seeing a player that doesnt get out very often get out and see his opponent take it poorly!

Woody

Very true. The very first time I ever ran a rack of BCA 8-ball was in a league. The guy refused to shake my hand. This was over 15 years ago. I'll never forget that display of poor sportsmanship.

ComptonCustomCues

Quality Handcrafted Cues
Silver Member
close but no cigar imo

The holy grail is to Break and Run the rack. But if you come to the table with a decent spread and ball in hand and get out then you should consider yourself doing well. You should try this to inprove you nine ball game........is a way to practice playing the goast......Break the balls, if none of the balls are tied up and at extremly hard postion points the take ball in hand and proceed to run out....if there are balls tied up then move them just enough to make it possible to run out. You don't want to make them easy because you would just be cheating yourself. The goal will to be inprove the number of balls run over time. Then after you have achevied the goal to break, take ball in hand and run all the remaing balls without haveing to move anyballs around. The next goal will be to inprove your break so that you don't have to take ball in hand.....the next goal is to inprove your number of balls to the point where breaking and running racks is a consistant thing...........then you'll be the new svb...:thumbup:..lol Hope this helps and good luck in your quest and lots of practice will be the key.

LPHooper03

Shape Shooter
Silver Member
If Jesus had pool playing disciples, SVB would be one. :thumbup:

I hate it when people get all bent out of shape over a game. If someone gets a good out, congratulate them. Now if they slop in balls and start banging balls and getting lucky, then it's a little unbelieveable. That's about the time that I ask if they want to play some. So I can truly beat them and their slop. :)

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member

You ran out, it was a one inning game and that is all that matters. You could not have been asked to do more in the given scenario. Nice shooting.

People tend to get too worked up about runouts, break and runouts etc. The act is held so high on a pedestal that they tend to falter because of it.

Bobby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Don't get caught up in whether it's an official run-out, you ran out in your only inning in that game, no one can do better than that. Besides, you'll soon have lots of run-outs so it won't matter whether this one is considered official or not.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Thank you for all the compliments and encouragement. I didn't think I ran a rack either. Its nice feeling to finally beat the ghost in a game of 9-ball. Tomorrow, its back to the poolhall to work on those drills.

One of the reasons why I like playing league matches is because the peope, like my opponent from last night. Sometimes, it can get a bit funny especially when I sub and playing against someone I know.

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Nice run. I am sure that everyone still remembers that feeling of their first big runout. After the first one the others start to come easier and more often. It is like making your first million the second million comes easier.

Another way to look at it is what if he broke, ran out all of the balls and then missed shooting in the 9. You now have a easy shot for the win. It is your first turn at the table but you made the ball. Would you consider this a runout?

Either way it doesn't matter. You felt good about it, and your opponent appreciated a nice run and it seems as if you both enjoyed the rest of the evening. There needs to be more of this.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
It's not the definition everyone will agree with, but I say you ran out. A runout = you get out in a single inning the first time you step up to the table. 1 inning means you did everything you possibly could do. The stuff that's out of your control (whether you start with BIH, whether he made balls on the break, etc.) are not factors in considering whether or not it's a runout, though I guess I wouldn't insist on calling it a runout if he made 5 balls on the break or something. And obviously in 9 ball if he shoots in 8 balls and hangs up the 9, you don't get to call it a "runout" =)

But 7 balls, even with a BIH to start? Sure, that's a runout. That's what I did with my first ever 8-ball runout (except behind the line of course after the break).

Just MHO. I wouldn't sweat the formalities, just pat yourself on the back every time you get out from a situation you can control. Extra pats if you get out from situations you can't.

Rob_jerrylee

Bustamante's # 1 fan
Silver Member
Well I have almost had a break and run in 9-ball I've came so close tho but is never anything I worry about doing , but my most balls in on a ball in hand is 7 .:)