Edwin Reyes: Keep his ideals alive.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have been in shock for the past few hours since reading of Edwin's murder. This is a black day for pool worldwide when an advocate of fairness for the players is brutally slain for those ideals. Like many here I followed the saga on AZ and a few times I played devil's advocate to Edwin's position and each time he was able to eloquently and logically make his point. This was a man who stood on the side of right and should not have had to die for trying to make a better world. Although I am angry and sad and want to point fingers and make accusations I know that this will do nothing as those responsible are probably well insulated from justice and accusing them might incite them to further violence.

Instead I propose that we of AZ Billiards do what we can to insure that the name Edwin "Bandido" Reyes lives on FOREVER in Philippine Billiards. To do this I say we of AZ Billiards should sponsor an Annual Tournament that is titled the Edwin Reyes Memorial. We should finance this event through donations and fundraisers and soliciting sponsors. I know that the billiard world is stretched thin financially but the fight that Edwin so passionately fought was something that he hoped would ignite a spark worldwide and be a model for the players to stand up for themselves. And I believe it would have.

I propose that we create this tournament for all players regardless of affiliation, without the need to qualify, without the need to be sanctioned. An independent gift to the players where each is paid an appearance fee commensurate with the time they spend in the tournament.

Let this tournament stand as the player's tournament free of promoters, free of organizations vying for power, free of corruption.

I don't know who wants to join me but I will commit money and time to seeing this come together.

Lastly, I want to donate to help Edwin's family through this tough time. If any of Edwin's friends on this board have the capacity to accept donations and can get them to the family please post how to get the money to you.

Please my fellow pool fans, do not let this man's memory and what he stood for die with him!

Sincerely,

John Barton

BlowFish

Pinoy D-Player
Silver Member
I'm with you John. I will also help with whatever I can. With regards to your donation, you can PM Linds or Sputnik here. You'll be in good hands with this people.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree

John,

I haven't given any thought as to the best way to do it but I strongly agree that Edwin's name, his ideals, and his dreams should be kept alive.

Hu

I have been in shock for the past few hours since reading of Edwin's murder. This is a black day for pool worldwide when an advocate of fairness for the players is brutally slain for those ideals. Like many here I followed the saga on AZ and a few times I played devil's advocate to Edwin's position and each time he was able to eloquently and logically make his point. This was a man who stood on the side of right and should not have had to die for trying to make a better world. Although I am angry and sad and want to point fingers and make accusations I know that this will do nothing as those responsible are probably well insulated from justice and accusing them might incite them to further violence.

Instead I propose that we of AZ Billiards do what we can to insure that the name Edwin "Bandido" Reyes lives on FOREVER in Philippine Billiards. To do this I say we of AZ Billiards should sponsor an Annual Tournament that is titled the Edwin Reyes Memorial. We should finance this event through donations and fundraisers and soliciting sponsors. I know that the billiard world is stretched thin financially but the fight that Edwin so passionately fought was something that he hoped would ignite a spark worldwide and be a model for the players to stand up for themselves. And I believe it would have.

I propose that we create this tournament for all players regardless of affiliation, without the need to qualify, without the need to be sanctioned. An independent gift to the players where each is paid an appearance fee commensurate with the time they spend in the tournament.

Let this tournament stand as the player's tournament free of promoters, free of organizations vying for power, free of corruption.

I don't know who wants to join me but I will commit money and time to seeing this come together.

Lastly, I want to donate to help Edwin's family through this tough time. If any of Edwin's friends on this board have the capacity to accept donations and can get them to the family please post how to get the money to you.

Please my fellow pool fans, do not let this man's memory and what he stood for die with him!

Sincerely,

John Barton

Biggz

Unregistered
Silver Member

Sincerely,

John Barton

Excellent idea John. I agree with you 100% We lost a great man to the sport. He stood on his words and ideas till the end. What a tragic incident.
I hope JUSTISE will be serve ASAP!!!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is something I just heard about now. I'm in total shock. Edwin was my friend. I can't believe I'm reading this right. I don't know what else to say.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is a black day for pool worldwide when an advocate of fairness for the players is brutally slain for those ideals.

I cetainly share the sentiments of my fellow forum members, for we've lost a valued member of both our forum and our broader pool community, whose work and ideals we have long admired, but ......

At this point, isn't it pure speculation that Edwin was slain for his ideals? Without any supporting evidence, isn't it unfair to suggest that his political rivals in Asian pool are somehow responsible for Edwin's murder?

sputnik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As one of Edwin's closest friends, I'd like to thank you guys for coming up with this idea. It is the right thing to do. Edwin did things without seeking recognition for them. He made so many sacrifices for pool in the last two years to the extent that he had neglected his cue making. It was a good fight with a cowardly ending. No bullet can take away Edwin's integrity. He has to live on.

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member

Sincerely,

John Barton

I was extremely shocked to read the first post about Edwin. My first thoughts were similar to John's but only time will give us the truth. I fully support John on the proposal for the Memorial Tournament. We cannot let Edwin's name be forgotten !!

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happened? I'm just getting this news as I read this post! I've met Edwin several times in both Japan and in the PI, and have never met a nicer gentleman. When, what, where, and how did this happen? Prayers for the family.

dave

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I cetainly share the sentiments of my fellow forum members, for we've lost a valued member of both our forum and our broader pool community, whose work and ideals we have long admired, but ......

At this point, isn't it pure speculation that Edwin was slain for his ideals? Without any supporting evidence, isn't it unfair to suggest that his political rivals in Asian pool are somehow responsible for Edwin's murder?

I suppose it might be unfair to imply that his opposition had anything to do with it.

That's really not the point in the larger picture though. The fact is that a man is dead who until the very end was not only a master cue maker but also just yesterday was standing up to his own colleagues on behalf of the players. His ideals stand above the politics though.

Thus it's only fitting that the man and his ideals never be forgotten. Whether he died because of them or not is irrelevant because he was the person carrying the torch the longest and loudest and now at what seemed like the new beginning he was taken.

The idea should live on and whether or not his political rivals did the deed at least they and those responsible will never escape Edwin Reye's influence.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I suppose it might be unfair to imply that his opposition had anything to do with it.

That's really not the point in the larger picture though. The fact is that a man is dead who until the very end was not only a master cue maker but also just yesterday was standing up to his own colleagues on behalf of the players. His ideals stand above the politics though.

Thus it's only fitting that the man and his ideals never be forgotten. Whether he died because of them or not is irrelevant because he was the person carrying the torch the longest and loudest and now at what seemed like the new beginning he was taken.

The idea should live on and whether or not his political rivals did the deed at least they and those responsible will never escape Edwin Reye's influence.

Agreed. Nicely said, John.

Virginia Gil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with you John. I will also help with whatever I can. With regards to your donation, you can PM Linds or Sputnik here. You'll be in good hands with this people.

Hi JB,
I am Verna Mariano of Bugsy Promotions/BMPAP. Edwin was part of our group. My husband and my son were with him til 3am today. He got to do the thing he loved most (playing pool til they could not play no more) before he was brutally gunned down before noon time of the same day. We are all in a suspended feeling of disbelief as I write this.
Even before I got to read your post JB, I already told my husband that I will suggest to our group (BMPAP) and to the new leadership of BSCP to hold an annual EDWIN REYES MEMORIAL CUP and all proceeds should go to his wife and children. This is a way of immortalizing him and paying him forward for all his sacrifices for the betterment of pool in the Philippines. This is a way of honoring his artistry. Today, we lost a man who could possibly be the best cuemaker Philippines has ever produced.
To all who could contribute to this worthy endeavor, let us all do this together.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
I heard he was gunned down with his daughter in his arms, gunman shot him with a .45 and was pretending to be a DHL delivery guy, in the package was a broken pool cue, this is just unreal. RIP Edwin and you wont be forgotten. :frown:

linds

proudly Philippine made!
Silver Member
thursday: edwin spent the whole afternoon with me at our shop... I was supposed to get some pool supplies but as usual me n' edwin talk for hours have talk/shared our views in the new bscp and future of pool here... the way things are/and things to do etc, the threats text-sms we recieved from the other camp in how we deal with it/ just laugh at it (getting thousand a day)... even the meeting to be held the following day (oath taking plans/sponsor/guests) and today (saturday) i was supposed to pick-up his mill,press,compressor,spray booth and other equipment and cue supplies for some long delayed projects... 11:14am was with my team ( pool table delivery) when i notice 2 of ed's miss calls in my cp.
10-15mins latter i learned of the incident...rush to thier new place near our shop (still unpacking things) soco team already investigating... learned about the broken poolcue that was delivered by the false dhl/lbc hired gunman... edwin's family transfered 2 days earlier, only a few know of his place which was secured/peacefull in a way...
he was rush to a nearby hospital (QMGH) by his landlord via ed's multicab
have proceded to said hosp and got hold of her wife in tears at the hallway (to late) was already being carried out of the OR he was brutaly murdered with 2 .45 bullets in the chest have taken him away for good...

he was a friend, brother, partner, godfather to my daughter we were rediculed/badmouth by star smear text-sms together fought for what we belive in...
he was banned on EPT...while i was banned from bilyar.net (local pool internet community) for posting our appeal for a clean poolsport development and for the "old bscp" to give way! he even joke at me saying "may freedom was bought in exchance with a predcue" by the star owner/ex bscp director... he at times post on my account on the other and on here... i'll surely miss him:(

sorry im still in a shock... was at campcrame earlier for the autopsy before being embalmed at st peters funeral...wake might be 5hrs from now at claret chapel in UP village QC

he died for the love of the sport!
ingat ka pre...

odd: bat wala yata startext today simula maaga?

Last edited:

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
thursday: edwin spent the whole afternoon with me at our shop... I was supposed to get some pool supplies but as usual me n' edwin talk for hours have talk/shared our views in the new bscp and future of pool here... the way things are/and things to do etc, the threats text-sms we recieved from the other camp in how we deal with it/ just laugh at it (getting thousand a day)... even the meeting to be held the following day (oath taking plans/sponsor/guests) and today (saturday) i was supposed to pick-up his mill,press,compressor,spray booth and other equipment and cue supplies for some long delayed projects... 11:14am was with my team ( pool table delivery) when i notice 2 of ed's miss calls in my cp.
10-15mins latter i learned of the incident...rush to thier new place near our shop (still unpacking things) soco team already investigating... learned about the broken poolcue that was delivered by the false dhl/lbc hired gunman... edwin's family transfered 2 days earlier, only a few know of his place which was secured/peacefull in a way...
he was rush to a nearby hospital (QMGH) by his landlord via ed's multicab
have proceded to said hosp and got hold of her wife in tears at the hallway (to late) was already being carried out of the OR he was brutaly murdered with 2 .45 bullets in the chest have taken him away for good...

he was a friend, brother, partner, godfather to my daughter we were rediculed/badmouth by star smear text-sms together fought for what we belive in...
he was banned on EPT...while i was banned from bilyar.net (local pool internet community) for posting our appeal for a clean poolsport development and for the "old bscp" to give way! he even joke at me saying "may freedom was bought in exchance with a predcue" by the star owner/ex bscp director... he at times post on my account on the other and on here... i'll surely miss him:(

sorry im still in a shock... was at campcrame earlier for the autopsy before being embalmed at st peters funeral...wake might be 5hrs from now at claret chapel in UP village QC

he died for the love of the sport!
ingat ka pre...

odd: bat wala yata startext today simula maaga?
I am sorry for your loss. Can these threats he received be traced back to someone?

linds

proudly Philippine made!
Silver Member
I am sorry for your loss. Can these threats he received be traced back to someone?

yes. he even posted one at bilyar.net (the sender can easily be trace via the vanity number ed posted) fortunately according to ed the site admin edited few vital paragraphs that pertains to it... he even PM'ed the admin and told the threat possibilities. cant give such link for my IP is banned from that site

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
yes. he even posted one at bilyar.net (the sender can easily be trace via the vanity number ed posted) fortunately according to ed the site admin edited few vital paragraphs that pertains to it... he even PM'ed the admin and told the threat possibilities. cant give such link for my IP is banned from that site

Well that is where I would start my friend, justice needs to be served here and I know that regardless of what is done legally there or otherwise it wont bring Edwin back but I dont believe in turning the other cheek but an eye for eye. :cool:

linds

proudly Philippine made!
Silver Member
here's one that he posted:

( http://forum.bilyar.net/viewtopic.php?t=3295&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=285 )

copy pasted it from proxysite

Message from: +63915 184-3746

Message reads:

EDWIN REYES,
TALAGANG SINUNGALING KANG TAO, HINDI KA MARUNONG MAGSABI NG TOTOO. LAHAT NG HINDI TOTOONG PINASABI SA U NINA PERRY MARIANO AT PUTCH PUYAT SINABI MO RIN BASTA MAY PERA. ANG BUNGANGA MO AY PARANG **** NG PROSTITUTE. WALA KANG SARILING ISIP! HINDI KA DAPAT MABUHAY DITO SA MUNDO, DAPAT MAMATAY KA NA! IKAW AY ISANG CARBAGE(?) IN OUR SOCIETY! WALA KANG KWENTANG TAO TALAGA! I

End of Message

Talaga nga naman. Nagtanong lang ako nagkagagalaiti ka na sa galit. Confirmation na "positive" ba ang sagot sa mga tanong ko? Masyado kang matapang magbitiw ng salita sa maliliit na tao kahit na ikaw mismo nag-identify ng mga taong hinihinalaan mong pinanggalingan ng impormasyon. Puro ka tamang hinala sa malalaking tao pero ang maliliit lang kinakayakaya mo? Iyan ba ang tapang?

Akala ko ba pilantropo ka? Bakit hindi ka mag-pilantropo diyan sa mga trabahador mo na tunay na pinakikinabangan mo? Napaka-interesting talaga ng Pulp & Paper Industry, ma-drama din.

Dapat na nga ba akong mamatay? That won't be a first sa akin at lahat din naman tayo ay diyan patungo.

Pera?! kung ano ang i-buwis ko dito ay siya ring kabayaran.

Uy! Ano nga pala ang "CARBAGE"?