Help deciding between 2 tables

Orcus332

Registered
Hi,
I'm new to the billiards buying arena so I need your help. We are currently in the market to purchase a pool table and have it narrowed down to two 8' tables.

1. 5 year old used Olhausen L-sheraton (original owner) that includes balls, 8-ball rack, 4 cues with plus 1 case, bridge, table brush, chalk, a decent pool table light For $995. The rails (accu-fast) seem to be in good shape.
The cost to disassemble, move, and reassemble is 245, plus the felt would need replaced (200). In total this table would cost us about $1350-$1450 depending on how well I can bargain.

2. Brand new brunswick (Contender) Allenton table. I believe the package included 4 cues, a wall mount, balls, bridge, 8 and 9 ball racks, chalk, brushes, and a clear table cover. This would NOT include a light, so i'll probably mount a fluorescent light above for about $50. The cost of this table with installation and tax would be about $2000.

Anyone have any thoughts on what route we should take here? Any insight as to the durability/longevity of these tables? The guy at the pool table store seemed to be making a big deal about laminate (sheraton) vs veneer (allerton).

Thank you!

Last edited:

NoBull9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know much about the play quality of the Sheridan,But I have sold and played on a Allenton.My review of the bruswick.Big Pockets shallow shelf,The cushion do have good responce for a entry level table.
But if I was looking to spend 2000.00 plus,I'd look more at the used market with this housing market there's alot out there.

Marop

14.1 - real pool
Silver Member
Just visited the Brunswick website and I don't see a table called "Allerton" on the site.

Orcus332

Registered
Sorry, it's called Allenton, it's listed as a "Contender" pool table, which i assume is a subdivision of brunswick, but still carries the brunswick name plate on the rail.

sun526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi,
I'm new to the billiards buying arena so I need your help. We are currently in the market to purchase a pool table and have it narrowed down to two 8' tables.

1. 5 year old used Olhausen L-sheraton (original owner) that includes balls, 8-ball rack, 4 cues with plus 1 case, bridge, table brush, chalk, a decent pool table light For $995. The rails (accu-fast) seem to be in good shape.
The cost to disassemble, move, and reassemble is 245, plus the felt would need replaced (200). In total this table would cost us about $1350-$1450 depending on how well I can bargain.

2. Brand new brunswick Allerton table. I believe the package included 4 cues, a wall mount, balls, bridge, 8 and 9 ball racks, chalk, brushes, and a clear table cover. This would NOT include a light, so i'll probably mount a fluorescent light above for about $50. The cost of this table with installation and tax would be about $2000.

Anyone have any thoughts on what route we should take here? Any insight as to the durability/longevity of these tables? The guy at the pool table store seemed to be making a big deal about laminate (sheraton) vs veneer (allerton).

Thank you!
Do yourself a big favor and search out a used Brunswick gold crown or a used Diamond table both are almost indestructable and are well know for the tops in playability. Best of all a used table can be had for as little as 800 for the gold crown 8' footer. They look great and are a players table.

chin0

"Chino Miss-A-Lot"
Silver Member
For that price, I'd try to go on craigslist and find a used Brunswick Gold Crown. They are probably one of the best tables ever made. Just my .02

Good luck!

Chino

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to Craigslist in your local 200 mile radius & see what's available. Then call us back....

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi,

2. Brand new brunswick (Contender) Allenton table. I believe the package included 4 cues, a wall mount, balls, bridge, 8 and 9 ball racks, chalk, brushes, and a clear table cover. This would NOT include a light, so i'll probably mount a fluorescent light above for about $50. The cost of this table with installation and tax would be about $2000.

Thank you!

I don't know what part of the world you are in, but I have 7 Oversized 8ft Diamonds for sale in the Houston area. 2,600 with light.

Ray

Dennis Williams4.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

sun526

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Money well spent with this deal! If I lived near you I'd have one at that price. For the Diamond and light...too sweet..

Orcus332

Registered
Well i checked all surrounding cities from Columbus, OH and could not find a single 8' gold crown brunswick for sale. Just for some background, I'm between a novice and intermediate player. We do not want to spend anymore than 2000. The table has to be 8', since that's all we have room for. Also, we weren't too keen on the look of the gold crown (call me crazy but it looks too much like a bar table...i know you shouldnt go off looks for a table, but that one is not quite our taste). Guess I should wait and see what other tables come my way on craigslist???

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
BigTruck is a great guy to deal with and those tables are sweet!

If you're set on a 9 footer though, Jay Helfert has some used GC's, very good condition, being stored in Vegas. I'd suggest you pm him to see what he could offer. It can't hurt to inquire and you won't find a better guy to deal with.

Good luck, and as is customary, you are now on the hook to post pic's of your room once you are all set!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Hi,

Thank you!

$245 to move and reassemble? That's dirt cheap. Johnnyt

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
Do yourself a big favor and search out a used Brunswick gold crown or a used Diamond table both are almost indestructable and are well know for the tops in playability. Best of all a used table can be had for as little as 800 for the gold crown 8' footer. They look great and are a players table.

If you ever see a GC for $800... Please contact me FIRST!!!:D

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
You're looking for a furniture style table for under $2000 in the Columbus Ohio area?

Try this......http://www.bostontables.com

Their distribution center is in Columbus. Or you could try calling Billiards Plus in Dublin.

Terry

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
BigTruck is a great guy to deal with and those tables are sweet!

If you're set on a 9 footer though, Jay Helfert has some used GC's, very good condition, being stored in Vegas. I'd suggest you pm him to see what he could offer. It can't hurt to inquire and you won't find a better guy to deal with.

Good luck, and as is customary, you are now on the hook to post pic's of your room once you are all set!

He said it had to be an 8 footer.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can put out the extra bucks, Diamond tables are great. I have an oversized 8 ft. Several people have told me it was the best table they ever shot on. The factory is in Indaiana right across the river from Louisville (6 miles). You can even get the rails made from "Diamondwood". It's about a $400 upgrade but you can't hurt them. (Ball won't dent them, hits with cue sticks won't hurt them. They have different price tables. They have a site on the internet.