Jim Baxter Joint Protectors

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Ok so this isn't really a cue review, but a review of my JP's and my experience with Jim Baxter.

I just received my new JP's from Jim. To be honest I don't know why he even bothered to shipped them.

After multipal emails between myself and his "assistant" Christy we had all the details worked out. Or so I thought.
She suggested a design that would go with my Blackcreek with matching ringwork etc. I agreed then we traded several additional emails discussing the size of the rings and joint diameter of my cue. Just to be sure, I sent her a very detailed picture of the joint of my cue as I didn't want there to be any issues.
A few days later I received an email from Jim with a picture of the JP's all completed and ready for shipment. A few problems were apparent when I looked at the picture.
The ring work was close but not exact. The colors were pretty close and I could live with them, but the silver rings are almost 3 times the thickness of what is on my cue.
I immediately emailed Jim to let him know there was a problem. He responded back stating that he was just returning from a 2000 mile trip and didn't want to get into this discussion and "say something that he would regret later" He suggested that he ship the JP's to me and then we could figure it out.
Did he think I was going to change my mind and want them even though they didn't match?
Also, if he just got back from a 2000 mile trip, who made the JP's???? Why does he lead us to believe that he is in fact the one doing the work when he has is assistant doing it?

Now there is a little more to the story so in fairness to Jim I'll concede that I approved the specs such as the thickness of the rings via email with Christy. She stated that the silver rings were .030 and that the black rings on the inside were .015 and I agreed. The problem is that I sent her a very detailed pic of my joint AFTER we had discussed the specs. If she even bothered to look at the picture she would know that something wasn't right based on our discussion. I feel that she should have contacted me after looking at the picture and confirmed what we had discussed.

Here are pics of the completed JP's and the pic that I sent her as a guide.

JPs.jpg

BlackcreekdetailedJoint.jpg

Is it me or is it blatantly obvious that the silver ring thickness isn't correct? And if so, why even bother sending them after I emailed him to tell him?

Jim offered to refund me the cost of them but I had to spend additional money to have them shipped both ways. So basically I have no JP's and I spent $15 on shipping.

I guess it was a cheap lesson.

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Ok so this isn't really a cue review, but a review of my JP's and my experience with Jim Baxter.

I just received my new JP's from Jim. To be honest I don't know why he even bothered to shipped them.

After multipal emails between myself and his "assistant" Christy we had all the details worked out. Or so I thought.
She suggested a design that would go with my Blackcreek with matching ringwork etc. I agreed then we traded several additional emails discussing the size of the rings and joint diameter of my cue. Just to be sure, I sent her a very detailed picture of the joint of my cue as I didn't want there to be any issues.
A few days later I received an email from Jim with a picture of the JP's all completed and ready for shipment. A few problems were apparent when I looked at the picture.
The ring work was close but not exact. The colors were pretty close and I could live with them, but the silver rings are almost 3 times the thickness of what is on my cue.
I immediately emailed Jim to let him know there was a problem. He responded back stating that he was just returning from a 2000 mile trip and didn't want to get into this discussion and "say something that he would regret later" He suggested that he ship the JP's to me and then we could figure it out.
Did he think I was going to change my mind and want them even though they didn't match?
Also, if he just got back from a 2000 mile trip, who made the JP's???? Why does he lead us to believe that he is in fact the one doing the work when he has is assistant doing it?

Now there is a little more to the story so in fairness to Jim I'll concede that I approved the specs such as the thickness of the rings via email with Christy. She stated that the silver rings were .030 and that the black rings on the inside were .015 and I agreed. The problem is that I sent her a very detailed pic of my joint AFTER we had discussed the specs. If she even bothered to look at the picture she would know that something wasn't right based on our discussion. I feel that she should have contacted me after looking at the picture and confirmed what we had discussed.

Here are pics of the completed JP's and the pic that I sent her as a guide.

JPs.jpg

BlackcreekdetailedJoint.jpg

Is it me or is it blatantly obvious that the silver ring thickness isn't correct? And if so, why even bother sending them after I emailed him to tell him?

Jim offered to refund me the cost of them but I had to spend additional money to have them shipped both ways. So basically I have no JP's and I spent $15 on shipping.

I guess it was a cheap lesson.

Was this one of those free sets he sent you tomorrao? LOL

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
I'd need to see better pics of the JPs. To me they don't look to far off. I would say you were being a little nit-picky. But it is your money, and I know what it is like to know something isn't right and always think about it every time you look at it.

That being said, I would be more concerned about the comment "say something that he would regret later". If that truly is what was said, that would have stopped the deal for me right there. And why ship them if you know the customer isn't happy, regardless of how nit-picky they might be. That just puts something they don't like right in their faces; and possibly makes the situation worse.

Josh

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
I'd need to see better pics of the JPs. To me they don't look to far off. I would say you were being a little nit-picky. But it is your money, and I know what it is like to know something isn't right and always think about it every time you look at it.

That being said, I would be more concerned about the comment "say something that he would regret later". If that truly is what was said, that would have stopped the deal for me right there. And why ship them if you know the customer isn't happy, regardless of how nit-picky they might be. That just puts something they don't like right in their faces; and possibly makes the situation worse.

Josh

Agreed.

The easiest way to tell from the pics that the silver ring isn't the right thickness is to just look closely at the black rings on the inside of the silver rings on the picture of the joint. The silver rings on the joint of the cue are about 2 times the size of the black rings. Which is why when I was told that the black rings would be .015 and the silver one's would be .030 I agreed. The silver rings on the JP's are at least 4 times the size of the black rings. That wpould make the silver rings on the JP's .060 not .030

LPCUSTOMCUES

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you try to contact Jim after you received them and got a good look at them?
What was his response, if any?

The reason I ask, I had Jim make 12 sets for me and through miscommunication they didnt turn out like I wanted, then after remaking them all over again, they still werent quite right (Im also a little picky). This time it was just a few to redo. The whole time I never had him make any remarks that were remotely unprofessional. He just said "No problem, Ill redo them. Most of them were plain but a couple sets were as intricate as the ones metioned above.

This is why I ask, he has made quite a few other sets for me also and Ive never had a problem.

Im sure he will make it right.

Lee
LP Custom Cues

0ne9marine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i had jim make a set for me. when i got them they were a little tight,but after him saying send them back and i'll redrill. they were perfect after. i'm very happy with jim's work.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Seems to me if you approved the specs and the jp's are made to the specs you approved then you gotta take the blame for providing the wrong specs.

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
From the pics, it's really hard to tell the difference. I agree with the above poster that you approved the specs and that's what he made them to. Detailed pics is one thing, but how can you tell the thickness of the silver rings by a picture. When I have Jimbo make jp's for me, I give him exact measurements of everything and he's never failed to make them in spec for me. Jim's a stand up guy and I'm sure will make it right. I know he's only in town for this weekend and leaving again. He's making 8 jp's for me before he goes, if they're not how we spec'd them, I'm sure he'll make them right. Just give him a chance. He's fairly new to this market and trying to make very nice jp's for a decent price.

Anyway, just shoot him a pm and see what he says.

Jim

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
I did approve of the specs but after receiving them today, they are not even made to the specs we agreed on.

The black ring was supposed to be .015 and it is. The silver ring was supposed to be .030 and it's .060.

Additionally the veneer colors are not correct. I never agreed to double red, double brown, and then a white. They were supposed to be Red, Tan, and then Maple. Also the tops were supposed to be white per a picture Christy sent me as a sample.

Here are some pics that will shed some light on how far off they are.

BaxterJPs060.jpg

BaxterJPs.jpg

Initially when I told Jim they were not correct I wanted a refund. But then I got to thinking...... Why would I want to spend money on shipping and still have no product?

I just sent him another email with all my concerns and asked him to make another set to the correct specs.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did approve of the specs but after receiving them today, they are not even made to the specs we agreed on.

The black ring was supposed to be .015 and it is. The silver ring was supposed to be .030 and it's .060.

Additionally the veneer colors are not correct. I never agreed to double red, double brown, and then a white. They were supposed to be Red, Tan, and then Maple. Also the tops were supposed to be white per a picture Christy sent me as a sample.

Here are some pics that will shed some light on how far off they are.

BaxterJPs060.jpg

BaxterJPs.jpg

Initially when I told Jim they were not correct I wanted a refund. But then I got to thinking...... Why would I want to spend money on shipping and still have no product?

I just sent him another email with all my concerns and asked him to make another set to the correct specs.

Like I told you in them PM send the back . By the way I don't even stock .060 silver rings and do not know where to even buy them. Please send them back . Jim

Last edited:

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I told you in them PM send the back . By the way I don't even stock .060 silver rings and do not know where to even buy them. Please send them back . Jim

I want to thank all my freinds for your input. I can only do them right with good info. It's hard to distinquis exact colors and dimentions from photos. Some people seem to be a little more understanding than others. I never want to send something out that is wrong. but when it is depending on the responce from the customer wheather he gets a refund or I remake the set at no extra charge. I will not respond to this thread again. Thanks Again. Jim

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
I want to thank all my freinds for your input. I can only do them right with good info. It's hard to distinquis exact colors and dimentions from photos. Some people seem to be a little more understanding than others. I never want to send something out that is wrong. but when it is depending on the responce from the customer wheather he gets a refund or I remake the set at no extra charge. I will not respond to this thread again. Thanks Again. Jim

You had right info. You made the rings .060? rather than .030 as discussed. Or should I say Christy made them with the info she had because you were on a "2000 mile trip."

Also, what right do you have to state that you "never want to send something out that is wrong"? Thats total BULLSHIT. I told you they were wrong when I received the picture of them the day before you sent them. You stated that we should discuss this after I looked at them and as I mentioned before that you "didn't want to say something you would regret later". What is that supposed to mean?
I realize you were tired from your trip but these never should have been sent out. I pm'd you earlier today with the same pics I posted here asking to have you remake them and you never even bothered to respond.
So don't come on here and act like you're doing everything you can to make this right and I'm the bad guy here. When I first started this thread I stated that I should be fair to you/Christy because I gave you the specs. But then when I got home and actually measured the rings, they were twice the size they should have been. And then I checked the info I sent on the veneer colors and they were wrong as well. So how exactly does that translate into "I can only make them right with good info"?
I'm not trying to be a jerk here but try taking some responsibility for the screw up. If you had just remade them when I told you they were wrong before you shipped them instead of forcing me to accept them before we had a conversation regarding the problems with them this thread wouldn't even exist.
No, I take that back. I give credit where credit is due. I would have started a thread telling everyone how great they were and that you did the right thing and remade them when we realized they were wrong.
All your posts are in this thread are pure propaganda and an attempt at damage control.
I knew when I saw the picture I never should have sent the payment. But I was trying to do the right thing and look where that got me. :mad:

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also had Jim make me a set i should be able to see how they fit next week when i get to visit my wife. I didnt give Jim exact specs he needed but im not going to and wont blame him if they dont fit thats my fault.

Ill just order a new set since i like to spend money, I did my homework and looked at all of Jims work and i really really like his work.

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim Baxter

I've had Jim make me about a dozen sets of Jp's.. some fancy, some plain and and he's always been a professional with every transaction. I've also had communications with Christy and she's always been great too. I would definitely talk to Jim. I'm sure you guys can work out an amicable resolve.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Josh

they look different enough that they don't really match. i wouldn't call it nit pickey at all.

mair23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
O.k., in my mind the silver rings are realy a little bit to thick, but how is it possible without having the cue, that all lines up so perfectly ?
The colours and the lining look perfect for me, and i think Jim would for sure talk about redoing the silver rings, or not !?
Erich

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
I also had Jim make me a set i should be able to see how they fit next week when i get to visit my wife. I didnt give Jim exact specs he needed but im not going to and wont blame him if they dont fit thats my fault.

Ill just order a new set since i like to spend money, I did my homework and looked at all of Jims work and i really really like his work.

I really like his work as well. These are well made and although I'm still not sold on the "super glue" finish, I could probably live with it. If not, I do custom paint on Ducati's so shooting a few coats of clear is not big deal.

My only real issue is that when he sent me the pictures, I took one look at them and knew they were not correct. I told Jim as much and he shipped them anyway. I wish he just made me a new set at that point.

I realize people make mistakes. It's how the mistake is corrected that determines who we are.

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like his work as well. These are well made and although I'm still not sold on the "super glue" finish, I could probably live with it. If not, I do custom paint on Ducati's so shooting a few coats of clear is not big deal.

My only real issue is that when he sent me the pictures, I took one look at them and knew they were not correct. I told Jim as much and he shipped them anyway. I wish he just made me a new set at that point.

I realize people make mistakes. It's how the mistake is corrected that determines who we are.

I don't understand why you don't just send them back, like I asked in the beginning. What are you gaining by all this B.S. Jim

J Layer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had Jim make me some and they came better than expected!He was great to deal with and very fast and correct with my order.Only a stand-up guy!Things happen,I know Jim is one of the classy guys who makes it right!I will be ordering from him again!-JR

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
I don't understand why you don't just send them back, like I asked in the beginning. What are you gaining by all this B.S. Jim

Ummm.... Hello! I sent you a pm yesterday to tell you I was sending them back and you never responded. :confused: