How to Patch a Carpet

junkbond

The dog ate my stroke.
Silver Member
We all know how it works: you buy a house and the carpets all look great. After a period of time, however, stains start showing up here and there. You have no idea what caused it, but you know it was something the previous tenants left. How do you fix the problem?

There are two ways to take care of a carpet stain, depending on the location of the stain. This first method is for the game room, where two stains keep showing up in the middle of the room.

1. Cut out the stained carpet section. Here is a picture of the carpet which has been cut out, rolled up for disposal and showing that the stains go all the way through the carpet.

P72900082.jpg

2. Because it is nearly impossible to match the carpet, replace the missing section with hardwood. This picture shows the bamboo flooring chosen for this problem area.

P73000122.jpg

3. The floor needs to be flatter for hardwood than for carpet, so have reinforcement installed under the floor below the new section of hardwood. This picture shows that substantial reinforcing was added under the new bamboo hardwood area.

P72900112.jpg

4. The glue holding the hardwood to the subfloor is very slow drying. Place a heavy weight on the hardwood to hold it securely while the glue dries. This picture shows the rather large multi-purpose weight we selected from the Brunswick Billiards and Flooring Weight Company. Notice how well it holds the new flooring in place. It is recommended that the weight be left in place until you are absolutely sure the glue has dried. This may take many years.

P80100403.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot the second method of repairing carpet stains. In the event the stain occurs in the wife's sewing room, give her $10 to buy a cheap throw rug to put over the stain.

I hope this has been helpful.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice choice of multi-purpose weight!

junkbond:

I do especially like the "large multi-purpose weight" you used to hold the bamboo hard floor slats in place. What's nice about this multi-purpose weight is that it has "adjustable weight balls" that you can move around to make minor adjustments in the balance point of the multi-purpose weight. Of course, one must use the special "adjustable weight ball manipulator" stick tool to do so, for one can't reach over, or climb up onto the multi-purpose weight to make these adjustments.

You must remember, though, that you have to adjust these weight balls OFTEN, to ensure that the weight is distributed where it's needed, to keep the flooring completely flat against the glue, and to get rid of air pockets.

:D

All tongue-in-cheek joshing aside, that was hilarious! And a nice job, to boot! You're sure to get enjoyment out of adjusting the weight balls on that multi-purpose weight for many years to come.

-Sean