One of the best/simplest and most overlooked drills with a twist.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
There are all sorts of drills, tons of them.

One of the most overlooked problems by players is their bodys alignment and how it affects the shot.

I always referred to it as the "indian guide" shot Place the cue ball a diamond length from corner pocket and straight toward the cross corner pocket, place object ball about 2/3 or so up the table. Its basically the good old long stop shot drill.

Now here's the twist, instead of stopping the ball or drawing it you put follow on it and the idea is to pocket the ball and scratch the cue ball behind it, you want the white man to follow the indian into the hole lol. You gotta be dead on with your alignment and the stroke to scratch the cue ball.

I used to pratice that on a 10ft snooker and warmed up before alot of tournaments like that. It's very strong once you get the hang of it, and will help you to hit the ball where you meant to. Its very easy just to miss the scratch by nothing because every little thing your not doing right is going to show up.

What overlooked, simple drills that show great effectiveness do you guys like?

Grey Ghost

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
This will definitely help you with straight in shots and absolute aiming and alignment.

Here's another drill variation you might like. We all know about shooting the ball straight down the table and having it come back to the tip of your cue. For a real precision test, freeze an object ball to the foot rail, and then try to get the cue ball to bounce straight back to the tip off the frozen ball. Warning! This one can drive a sane person crazy!

Steve

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
yes that can be a hair puller from a distance

This will definitely help you with straight in shots and absolute aiming and alignment.

Here's another drill variation you might like. We all know about shooting the ball straight down the table and having it come back to the tip of your cue. For a real precision test, freeze an object ball to the foot rail, and then try to get the cue ball to bounce straight back to the tip off the frozen ball. Warning! This one can drive a sane person crazy!

Steve

yea i know that shot, it is a real doozey...that shot is handy as a safe sometimes from closer distances and I use it in one pocket when i comes up for a safe or even some force follow double kisses into the hole.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
There are all sorts of drills, tons of them.

One of the most overlooked problems by players is their bodys alignment and how it affects the shot.

I always referred to it as the "indian guide" shot Place the cue ball a diamond length from corner pocket and straight toward the cross corner pocket, place object ball about 2/3 or so up the table. Its basically the good old long stop shot drill.

Now here's the twist, instead of stopping the ball or drawing it you put follow on it and the idea is to pocket the ball and scratch the cue ball behind it, you want the white man to follow the indian into the hole lol. You gotta be dead on with your alignment and the stroke to scratch the cue ball.

I used to pratice that on a 10ft snooker and warmed up before alot of tournaments like that. It's very strong once you get the hang of it, and will help you to hit the ball where you meant to. Its very easy just to miss the scratch by nothing because every little thing your not doing right is going to show up.

What overlooked, simple drills that show great effectiveness do you guys like?

Grey Ghost

That's such a good drill P.A.T has it in their workout book....SPF=randyg

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
yes worth its weight in gold, for tuning your body

oh yea its just so all encompassing, perfect stance, alignment, stroke. Its just so easy to use to see how your off of your true centers (like a machinists level for your complete address and stance/align) . Do you know the proper name or most common name for it?

I had made that shot 7 times in a row on that snooker table with the pool balls, and brother I tell you what when I walked over the the 9ft to play 9ball I just could not miss, everything about how I got down was perfect. I saw the ball, I stroked the ball and it disappeared perfect everytime. It's a definate to my survival kit to keep my self in tune.

frazz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
another take on the double kiss and back to the tip shot, set the white on the middle of the headstring, the brown spot on a snooker table and a ball on the middle of table (blue spot on snooker table, hit the ball straight onto back cushion and stop the white, try and get the object ball to come back and hit the cue ball, this is extremely difficult on a snooker table not sure about a pool table as its shorter but if you can do it consistently and even get the white to come back to the tip then you know you are cueing awesome! i used to do this now and again when i was a pro snooker player

Ruark

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CB on the line between the first two diamonds, at the head end.

2 balls centered on the foot spot, about 5 inches apart.

Shoot the CB between the 2 balls, so that it bounces back through them without touching them.

When you can do it 3 times in a row, move the 2 balls 1/4 inch closer together.

Repeat.

center pocket

It's just a hobby, but a fun one.
Silver Member
Bert Kinister said that this drill will create a stroke where there is no stroke. Place the 1st object ball 1 ball width away from the rail on the foot string. Place 2nd Object ball 1 ball width away from the rail on the head string on the oppsite side of the table. Now use a striped ball as your cue ball. Place it 1 1/2 ball widths away from the rail on the head string in line with the ball on the foot string and the pocket.

Alright that setup was probably a little confusing. You shoot a straight in stop shot and try to keep the stripe straight up and down. After the first shot use the pocketed ball as the cue ball and place it on the oppisite side of the table 1 1/2 ball widths away from the rail on the foot string. Now your shooting up table at the 2nd object ball but still shooting the same shot. When doing it right you will be walking in circles around the table.

This is an awesome drill to groving and training your approach, stroke pattern, and making it repeatable and consistent. I have shot this shot without a miss 76 times in a row! It really has helped me define my preshot routine, and my stroke. Make sure when you do this drill you shoot it the same everytime. I mean same amount of strokes, eye movement, approach, everything. When you get to where you can break 50 without a miss you will have a solid routine. Remember that the stripe has to stay straight, using a cue ball will not give you the same feed back on stroke errors.

As a matter of fact on all drills use a stripe ball instead of a cue ball for good feed back. I have tried Ghost's drill but not with follow. Also this kiss back is excellent as well as the bank the object ball back into the cue ball. All great drills.

Last edited:

center pocket

Silver Member
Has any body ever heard of the "ten stadard shots" I had a german guy in germany show me it and it teaches you how to shoot the ten hardest shot in pool that come up regularly. I'm not talking about "Byrne's ten positional shot drill". Dont get them confused. I still remember the first four or five shots but not the whole thing. Absolutly excellent drill and I would be willing to pay somebody for this drill if anyone knows it.

Apocalypse2017

Welcome to the resistance
Silver Member

Bert Kinister said that this drill will create a stroke where there is no stroke. Place the 1st object ball 1 ball width away from the rail on the foot string. Place 2nd Object ball 1 ball width away from the rail on the head string on the oppsite side of the table. Now use a striped ball as your cue ball. Place it 1 1/2 ball widths away from the rail on the head string in line with the ball on the foot string and the pocket.

Alright that setup was probably a little confusing. You shoot a straight in stop shot and try to keep the stripe straight up and down. After the first shot use the pocketed ball as the cue ball and place it on the oppisite side of the table 1 1/2 ball widths away from the rail on the foot string. Now your shooting up table at the 2nd object ball but still shooting the same shot. When doing it right you will be walking in circles around the table.

This is an awesome drill to groving and training your approach, stroke pattern, and making it repeatable and consistent. I have shot this shot without a miss 76 times in a row! It really has helped me define my preshot routine, and my stroke. Make sure when you do this drill you shoot it the same everytime. I mean same amount of strokes, eye movement, approach, everything. When you get to where you can break 50 without a miss you will have a solid routine. Remember that the stripe has to stay straight, using a cue ball will not give you the same feed back on stroke errors.

As a matter of fact on all drills use a stripe ball instead of a cue ball for good feed back. I have tried Ghost's drill but not with follow. Also this kiss back is excellent as well as the bank the object ball back into the cue ball. All great drills.

center pocket can you provide a cue table layout?

center pocket

Silver Member
Unfortunately I cannot right now cause I am at work. I will try to remember when I get home. I know the explanation is a little crazy.

Last edited: