Pool player’s dictionary.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me be the first to admit that I have not spent a great many hours in pool halls. I do play a lot of pool and have heard many terms here on AZB that are new to me. I suspect that I am not alone in my state of ignorance about pool language or the subculture of pool. Would some of the people with more knowledge who post here list some of the more common terms and what they mean?

If I can get some consensus on these and other terms I will alphabetize, compile and post for down load on my web site. Please add or correct as needed. If it is a local term please indicate such as a term used in the Southwest or the West or the East coast etc. I have tried to begin with terms that have wide spread (universal) meaning.

See the latest revision on page 6 post # 79

Fish: a sucker who doesn’t know his money is being stolen because of the superior skills of the player.

Tushhog: something like a bodyguard, the guy who has the player’s back.

On the wire: Originally the wire is the score keeping beads over the table. Now means the number of games advantage for one player. Three on the wire is a three game advantage.

Orange Crush: ???

Player: A person who gambles and looks for Fish.

Backer: The person who puts up the money for another person who is gambling.

Railbird: Person who is watching the game.

Sweating a game or match: To watch the game or match.

7 and out: ???

Wild 8:

Nit: A person who talks but does not step up to gamble.

Shark: A player who looks for fish with whom to gamble and usually disguises his true ability.

The nuts: an easy win

Counterman: The person who hands out the balls and keep track of time and collects the fees for playing. Often this person acts as a go between to set up gambling matches.

Ring Game: A game with several players at one table.

Last edited:

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let me be the first to admit that I have not spent a great many hours in pool halls. I do play a lot of pool and have heard many terms here on AZB that are new to me. I suspect that I am not alone in my state of ignorance about pool language or the subculture of pool. Would some of the people with more knowledge who post here list some of the more common terms and what they mean?

If I can get some consensus on these and other terms I will alphabetize, compile and post for down load on my web site. Please add or correct as needed. If it is a local term please indicate such as a term used in the Southwest or the West or the East coast etc. I have tried to begin with terms that have wide spread (universal) meaning.

Fish: a sucker who doesn’t know his money is being stolen because of the superior skills of the player.

On the wire: Originally the wire is the score keeping beads over the table. Now means the number of games advantage for one player. Three on the wire is a three game advantage.

Wild 8:

Shark: A player who looks for fish with whom to gamble and usually disguises his true ability.

Counterman: The person who hands out the balls and keep track of time and collects the fees for playing. Often this person acts as a go between to set up gambling matches.

The Orange crush is the wild 5
7 & out the way u got it would be like in nine ball & your shot is on the 3..u pocket the 3,4,5,6,7,8,9..which would mean u ran 7 & out...not used if u meant the 7 out which would mean spotting somebody the 7 & 8 in 9ball or 7,8 & 9 in 10ball

Last edited:

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does this read about right ??

7 and out: to make seven balls and run out or win the game. In 9-ball the player runs 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 balls to win the game.

Orange Crush: The five ball is wild. If you make the balls before the five and the five you win the game of 9-Ball or 10-ball.

7 out: as a handicap or advantage to one player, the player only needs to make the first 6 balls and the seven ball to win the game. The player does not have to make the 8, 9 or 10 (in a ten ball game).

Match: a set number of games decided by the players or the tournament director.

Race to X: the first player to win X games wins the match.

Woof or woofing: barking at or challenging another player. This often results in a gambling match. Some people are known to woof but not follow through. This means they are a nit.

Air barrel: To gamble without the funds to pay one's debts if the person loses the match.

Shortstop: A player who is nearly as good as a professional player.

Road Player: A person who may be a shortstop or a professional level player and travels to gamble. They may or may not be a shark.

Professional: A person who enters high level tournaments and has won at least a few professional tournaments.

Last edited:

jrt30004

just jokin' around
Silver Member
i have always heard them like this:
the orange crush is the five and the breaks.
wild anything means you can make it just like the nine ball - on the break, kiss, combo, carom, ie. slop.
x and out means you needed and won x number of games in a row to close out a match - the example i always heard was johnny archer going i believe 13 and out to win a match against a really good player, i can't remember if it was efren or bustamante, someone good though.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
I need it

5 and the breaks. The 5 is the orange and the breaks are the crush.

Kevin

Oh, and I need that from everyone, that's why I know.

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5 and the breaks. The 5 is the orange and the breaks are the crush.

Kevin

Oh, and I need that from everyone, that's why I know.

Yes sir..that's the original meaning..but you'd be suprised how many people try & get away with it meaning just the wild 5..lol

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Does this read about right ??

7 and out: to make seven balls and run out or win the game. In 9-ball the player runs 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 balls to win the game.

Two possible meanings, depending on context. If you're spotting someone the "x and out", it means the x is a money ball for them, along with any higher-numbered ball. If you run "x and out", then x refers to the numbers of balls pocketed consecutively to win the game.

Orange Crush: The five ball is wild. If you make the balls before the five and the five you win the game of 9-Ball or 10-ball.

I think "orange crush" means giving someone the 5 and the breaks, "crush" referring to the break. It's a very tough spot to give up.

"Shark" is not really used as a noun in pool halls. It's used as a noun by people who aren't pool players, used vaguely to mean any "good" player. Actual pool players only really use the term as a verb, meaning to intentionally distract another player or try to throw off his game with off-the-table antics.

Games "on the wire" don't refer to an advantage so much as a spot. The term is used to refer to a number of games of "head start" given to the weaker player in a race.

"The nuts" could be more precisely defined as a spot or match-up where one player is almost certain to win. That player has "the nuts". The origin is from poker, when a player is holding the best possible hand given the common cards that have been dealt he is said to have the nuts.

"Ring game" implies some specific rules; not just any multi-way game. It's a game where each time one player accomplishes a goal (i.e. pocketing a money ball in a 9 or 10-ball ring game, or making any shot in a bank-pool ring game, etc.), every other player pays that player a pre-determined amount. There are no intentional safeties allowed, fouls are played as they lie (scratches in the kitchen), and the incoming player may force the foul-committing player to shoot again if they don't like the leave after a foul.

-Andrew

miplayerstour

Quiet participant
Silver Member
terms

Orange crush is most definately the 5 and the breaks.

Wild anything means you can win the game by making the wild ball or the 9 ball at anytime even accidentally and win. Both 9 and 10 ball allow for slop shots which means oops, I didnt mean to make that ball but I did (as long as its a good hit)!

Action means got a game

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
The five ball is wild. If you make the balls before the five and the five you win the game of 9-Ball or 10-ball.

If you're getting the 5, you don't have to pocket the 1-4, you just have to make the 5 or the 9 on a legal shot. If it's "wild" that means you don't have to call the 5 for it to count as a win. Otherwise you'd be getting the "called 5".

-Andrew

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
here is an alphabetized and revised list. I am sure additions and corrections are needed.

7 out: as a handicap or advantage to one player, the player only needs to make the first 6 balls and the seven ball to win the game. The player does not have to make the 8, 9 or 10 (in a ten ball game).

7 and out: to make seven balls and run out or win the game. In 9-ball the player runs 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 balls to win the game. An alternate definition is to win 7 games in a row and thereby win the match

Air barrel: To gamble without the funds to pay one's debts if the person loses the match.

Called 5: If players agree that one player only has to make the balls through the 5-ball, the called five means that one must call this shot before it is made.

Nuts: or the nuts, an easy win

Orange Crush: The 5-ball and the break. Player gets to break on every game (the crush). If you make the 5 on any leagal shot you win the game of 9-Ball or 10-ball.

Player: A person who gambles and may look for Fish.

Professional: A person who enters high level tournaments and has won at least a few professional tournaments.

Road Player: A person who may be a shortstop or a professional level player and travels to gamble. They may or may not be a shark.

Slop: to unintentionally make a ball

Wild X: The x ball is wild or treated like the 9-Ball is a 9-ball game. If you make it on the break, a combination, kiss or with slop it is a win.

Woof (or woofing): barking at or challenging another player. This often results in a gambling match. Some people are known to woof but not follow through and are therefore a nit.

(revised through Andrews comments)

Last edited:

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
words

1) Pidgeon: same as fish but he knows his opponents speed (oop! another word), usually the same player all the time, but will play and lose his money anyway
2) Speed: A players ability
3) Off the wall: a house stick
4) to duck: play safe
5) A lock: A game you can't lose
6) went off: Usually followed by how much a player lost
8) 10 up: or any other number.a match wherein a player has to go 10 games more than his opponent to win. I think at one time this was called a freeze out.
9) pearl: cue ball

Last edited:

houmatroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gotta have that crush too I need it all!

I know what u mean...I should have phrazed it the right way with the breaks..I just put wild 5 i guess cuz supconsciously i remember guys offering the orange crush & when u get to the table they got the coin out to flip for break..lol...too funny sometimes:grin:

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wild 8:

Where I started playing pool and in the 70's, tushhog was meant to mean usually a big guy that might cause trouble and keep you from getting out with the money. I won't name names, but I knew two player/hustlers who would go in a joint and look it over and pick out the possible tushogs and they were the ones who got jarred, not the player/gamblers. Jarred means incapacitated with a so called mickey finn, some in your drink.

Last edited:

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own Phil Cappelles "play your best pool" in the back he has a glossery of many pool terms. That's how I got "lmbklr"- It's TJ (my name) plus "lamb killer".

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two possible meanings, depending on context. If you're spotting someone the "x and out", it means the x is a money ball for them, along with any higher-numbered ball. If you run "x and out", then x refers to the numbers of balls pocketed consecutively to win the game.

I think "orange crush" means giving someone the 5 and the breaks, "crush" referring to the break. It's a very tough spot to give up.

"Shark" is not really used as a noun in pool halls. It's used as a noun by people who aren't pool players, used vaguely to mean any "good" player. Actual pool players only really use the term as a verb, meaning to intentionally distract another player or try to throw off his game with off-the-table antics.

Games "on the wire" don't refer to an advantage so much as a spot. The term is used to refer to a number of games of "head start" given to the weaker player in a race.

"The nuts" could be more precisely defined as a spot or match-up where one player is almost certain to win. That player has "the nuts". The origin is from poker, when a player is holding the best possible hand given the common cards that have been dealt he is said to have the nuts.

"Ring game" implies some specific rules; not just any multi-way game. It's a game where each time one player accomplishes a goal (i.e. pocketing a money ball in a 9 or 10-ball ring game, or making any shot in a bank-pool ring game, etc.), every other player pays that player a pre-determined amount. There are no intentional safeties allowed, fouls are played as they lie (scratches in the kitchen), and the incoming player may force the foul-committing player to shoot again if they don't like the leave after a foul.

-Andrew

Great explanations. Definitions are clear and not too wordy.

Not quite. Skip the first 6 balls part (some could potentially think they have to pocket the first 6 balls as opposed to caroms/combos/or their opponent making those) and say something more like "it is a handicap (spot) where the player getting the spot has the 7 ball and any higher numbered balls left on the table after the break and through the course of the game as money balls".

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member

See the revision at post # 11

Wild 8:

Joe,
I don't know if you're interested in any more or not, but here's some that come to mind.

"Snow", "the Rock", "Whitey" = the cue ball

"Dump"- purposely lose a game.

Cosmo = an easy lay out, stop-stop-stop, stop.

A "Phd." = A pool hall degree

Calcutta = An "auction" held before a tournament. Usually, the better the player, the higher his price.

Weight = A handicap

"Dog it" = miss an easy shot because of nerves. "Chicken bone" caught in the throat.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Revised through Terry's post

Pool player’s dictionary.

7 out: as a handicap or advantage to one player, a handicap (spot) where the player getting the spot has the 7 ball and any higher numbered balls left on the table after the break and through the course of the game as money balls

7 and out: to make seven balls and run out or win the game. In 9-ball the player runs 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 balls to win the game. An alternate definition is to win 7 games in a row and thereby win the match

Calcutta An auction held before a tournament. Usually, the better the player, the higher his price.

Called 5: If players agree that one player only has to make the balls through the 5-ball, the called five means that one must call this shot before it is made.

Chicken bone: caught in the throat see “dog it.”

Cosmo: an easy lay out, stop-stop-stop, stop.

Cue Ball: The Rock, Whitey, Snow

Dog it: to miss an easy shot because of nerves.

duck: an easy shot. To Duck: to play safe .

Dump: purposely lose a game.

Jarred ; Incapacitated with a so called mickey finn, or something similar in your drink.

A lock: A game you can't lose

Nuts: or the nuts, an easy win

Off the wall: a house stick

Orange Crush: The 5-ball and the break. Player gets to break on every game (the crush). If you make the five on a legal shot you win the game of 9-Ball or 10-ball.

Phd: A Pool Hall Degree

Pigeon: same as fish but he knows his opponents speed, usually the same player all the time, but will play and lose his money anyway.

Player: A person who gambles and may look for Fish.

Slop: to unintentionally make a ball

Speed: A players ability

Tushhog: Something like a bodyguard, the guy who has the player’s back. Alternate meaning is a big guy that might cause trouble and keep you from getting out with the money. Two player/hustlers might go in a joint and look it over and pick out the possible tushogs and they were the ones who got jarred, not the player/gamblers.

Weight: A handicap given to another playr

Wild X: The x ball is wild or treated like the 9-Ball is a 9-ball game. If you make it on the break, a combination, kiss or with slop it is a win.

Woof (or woofing): barking at or challenging another player. This often results in a gambling match. Some people are known to woof but not follow through and are therefore a nit.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
A few weeks ago I started to make a list of terms to post on my site and then I decided the best route would have been to create a WIKI page for players to be able to add missing information along with correct others information.

Here is the link: http://azpoolscene.wikispaces.com/Billiard+Terms

All players could go on here and add terms, edit, etc.

I see that you are looking to maintain a manual list on your site, but if you like you can link or pull content from this page if you like.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Stuckart, I did not know about your work and will link to it. Where we have missed something I will use your work per your permission. And of course will link to your site. I just picked up a few terms from your site such as Cheese, Scotch doubles and something else. Please feel free to use anything shown here. It is all public domain stuff anyway.

With all the players on this site we might just be able to get terms that have not been talked about very often.

Right now I am trying to keep up with additions and revisions. The interest seems to be pretty good. Hopefully some of the old timers will kick in.

Can someone give a definition of "chop." I have a vague idea that it the agreement between two player to divide up the money regardles of who wins in a gambeling match. Seems it also means that first and second place agree to split the tournament prize money.

Last edited: