My Titlist Project...

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Well, I have been keeping busy, and last night I was able to take some passes on my Titlist project.

I feel that the Titlist conversion is one project that every up-and-coming cue maker simply must complete. The feather in the hat so to speak. All the 'greats' have done one or several conversions throughout their careers, so I feel a sense of connection to these great makers when I work on this cue. Also, the thought that the wood I'm working on is at least 60 years old, and was air-dried God only knows how long before that. Plus, I think they are really cool, and unless you totally screw something up, they play great too.

So, I actually had quite a bit of trouble with this one. The forearm area is a bit slender for how I make my butt. I am designed from the 'ground-up' as a 59" cue, so my dimensions may seem a bit off to other players and makers. But, I don't particularly care about any of that...

Anyway, the butt was too short. I felt it is important to retain the full splice construction, or what's the point? So this cue is full splice and the entire handle is the prong wood for a nice feedback. I could not do anything else, other than completely cover the points (which wouldn't work anyway because of how slender it is) with wrap. BUT, because of this odd configuration, where the points are pushed up further than 'normal' it allows me an inlay idea that I think is going to look very classy, old school and slightly unique.

Here are the pictures so far. I am not doing a step-by step on this one like I am doing with the Davis, but I think it's fun to share progress...

Attachments

• IMG_4177.jpg
    IMG_4177.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,466
  • IMG_4179.jpg
    IMG_4179.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,495
  • IMG_4182.jpg
    IMG_4182.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,464
  • IMG_4183.jpg
    IMG_4183.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,457
  • IMG_4184.jpg
    IMG_4184.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,460

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
More pics...

Attachments

• IMG_4185.jpg
    IMG_4185.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,456
  • IMG_4186.jpg
    IMG_4186.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,450
  • IMG_4189.jpg
    IMG_4189.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 1,486
  • IMG_4190.jpg
    IMG_4190.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,456
  • IMG_4191.jpg
    IMG_4191.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,447

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
More pics!

Attachments

• IMG_4192.jpg
    IMG_4192.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,446
  • IMG_4193.jpg
    IMG_4193.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMG_4194.jpg
    IMG_4194.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,446

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's an interesting approach by adding the butt sleeve. I believe I have seen Toeboy do something similar on a titlist conversion. I am sure there are some photos of it floating around AZB somewhere. Looks very nice. Looking forward to seeing it completed!

Ball Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Guru

As a traditional type guy I have always liked the Titlist's simple design. My modern playing Cue is a Titlist design. I believe LESS is MORE if done right. While some modern cues are great works of art, they don't play any better than a good plain Jane. However Cue makers must produce what is in demand and people today want super fancy bragging rights.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Wow great project and great pics.:cool: I have several old titlist wall hangers and one is in good enough shape to convert someday. It has tight points and is straight enough, it is also Brazilian rosewood. I have always figured the wood on your cue is a type of rosewood. It is common on old Brunswick's, do you no what type it is? Thanks Jim.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Titlist Conversion

I like the design, super idea for a Titlist conversion

Great look at the progression of this cue.

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Thanks to everyone for their positive comments!

I have some inlay ideas in mind that I think will be well received on this traditionally styled cue.

As to the wood, It appeared to be a rosewood, and the butt 'extension' is rosewood; however while cutting it, it has a distinct orange color, quite like Paduk. It is VERY hard for Paduk, so it might be a species of Rosewood I have not been exposed to prior...

Anyway, the points will be so far from the butt sleeve, I think it will look OK.

It is ready for the joint work and inlay now, so hopefully it will be up to or beyond the point the Davis cue is at within a fairly short time.

Unfortunately, it has not cleaned up completely, as you can see in the photos. The upper forearm is still on the 'factory' finish- it was so slender I hope it comes clean!:eek: It is still a bit oversize so my fingers are crossed...:)

PS the shafts are coming from a pair of Tru-Balance cues... All the wood is over 50 years old. I think it will be a hell-of-a-player...

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Thanks 8-ball!

I glued up the joint ring work and the ring work on the shafts tonight.

It is moving along!:smile:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
More pics!

I think you are doing a great job, I have also faced the dilemma you had with either cutting the cue and adding a handle or by extending the cue both in the front and back by coring and adding a dowel. I have also ways done it like you are doing here so that I could keep the Full Splice in the cue intact, to me it just seemed like it would be a waste any other way.

Here are some pictures of one I am currently working on I had to extend the butt in the same manner that you do in your's, I am also going to add a wrap to this one and it is going to have a Hoppe Style Butt without a bumper.

4.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Looks cool Craig!

I like the pearlized plastic rings- very proper for a Titlist conversion!

I am doing some triple silver rings: narrow-wide-narrow, with black phenolic on either side...

Here's a pic, although you can't see much...

Attachments

• IMG_4203.jpg
    IMG_4203.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 530

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Looks cool Craig!

I like the pearlized plastic rings- very proper for a Titlist conversion!

I am doing some triple silver rings: narrow-wide-narrow, with black phenolic on either side...

Here's a pic, although you can't see much...[/QUOTE

I that will also look great and very traditional, can't wait to see it finished.

Take CARE

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
I that will also look great and very traditional, can't wait to see it finished.

Take CARE

Me either! More importantly, I want to play with this thing!

Very nice, Guru. How many cues have you made?

This one is number three.

My player is one, the Davis cue is two and this is three. Number four is a Carom cue for Dieckman's cause. Because I need the experience!

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
MORE UPDATES!

The inlays are done!

I wanted very traditional inlay styles for this cue because A) I like them that way, and B) it helps hide some of the 'inconsistencies' of the old Titlist.

Once I realized the bottom of the points would be fully exposed, I knew I had to do something to dress them up. The veneer stacks in this area are always a bit 'rough' and mine was no exception. One stack longer than the other, seams not straight, final lengths not quite exactly the same etc.

So I knew I had to put dots at the bottom of the points. Once I was laying it out, I got the idea for barbells in between the dots at the base of the points (which extend into the points) making a pseudo-ring above the wrap at the same time.

I then put similar barbells in the butt sleeve, separated by a single dot in the center. I REALLY like the look I got with this inlay pattern!!!:smile:

That being said, I am not happy with how they turned out in the end, but you get the idea.:mad: I used a Hardinge head to divide it; however it appears that things did not line up perfectly... Still scratching my head over that one, since all operations were completed without removing the cue from the head of course... It may be related to the center of the cue being moved from 'true' center due to the slight warpage of the cue... It gives me a headache, so I'll just stop there. It's done in any event.

Anyway, enough of my banter; you want to see pictures!

Well, here you go!

Attachments

• IMG_4208.jpg
    IMG_4208.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_4209.jpg
    IMG_4209.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_4210.jpg
    IMG_4210.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_4211.jpg