Rug Under the Pool Table

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Help. I am having a brand new used 9' table installed on top of my new hardwood floors. I want to place a rug between the table and floor but don't know what the best size should be. Should be within the rails or outside of the rails? Will my feet half on the rug or one foot on the rug be weird when playing.

Can I get some help? Thanks in advance.

blah blah

Shoebat
If it were me, I would say at least five feet all around the table to protect against any falling balls/ cues, AND have a rug pad for a cushion between the rug and the floor. The cushion makes a huge difference.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in the flooring business so i know what i'm talking about. If you put a pad between the rug and floor the pad will slowly compress meaning the table will never be level untill the pad completely compresses, if ever.

blah blah

Shoebat
I am in the flooring business so i know what i'm talking about. If you put a pad between the rug and floor the pad will slowly compress meaning the table will never be level untill the pad completely compresses, if ever.

Well, shoot.
We've had a pad under a carpet under the table in the (concrete) garage for about 8 months now. At this point, what should we be looking out for, and what should we do if/when problems happen? Thanks, and sorry to the op for the very brief hijack...

RD3P

Banned
once it settles its not going anywhere,,,,you might have to level twice in the first week and after that its a done deal ..unless your Floor is moving/changing/and sagging due to temp/humidity like an older houses hardwood floor might (not the ideal surface to put a table on) carpet would have nothing to do with the wole floor sagging/shifting

it doesnt matter ,carpet, no carpet, pad, no pad,
that little 1/2 foam is gonna compress and stay that way under the weight of a pool table

personally i would prefer to have both feet on the same surface not one foot on carpet the other on wood IMO

Whats the point of putting a nice rug under the pool table again???? if you dont want the legs to mar up wood floor just put some marine grade squares of carpet under each leg(the size of the legs bottom). and then shim table to level

Last edited:

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
Whats the point of putting a nice rug under the pool table again???? if you dont want the legs to mar up wood floor just put some marine grade squares of carpet under each leg(the size of the legs bottom). and then shim table to level

Table color is almost the same as floor. Aesthetically, we think it will look better.

Anyone with actual dimensions of rugs????

RD3P

Banned
Table color is almost the same as floor. Aesthetically, we think it will look better.

Anyone with actual dimensions of rugs????

you can have one made anysize you want.

here are

Standard Rug Sizes:
British Imperial System (Width x Length)
2' x 3'
2' x 4'
3' x 5'
4' x 6'
5' x 8'
6' x 9'
7' x 10'
8' x 10'
9' x 12'
10' x 13'
10' x 14'
12' x 15'
12' x 18'
13' x 20'
14' x 21'

Metric System (Width x Length in Meters)
0.50 x 1.00
1.00 x 1.50
1.50 x 2.00
1.50 x 2.50
2.00 x 2.50
2.00 x 3.00
2.25 x 3.25
2.50 x 3.50
2.75 x 3.75
3.00 x 4.00
3.50 x 4.50
3.00 x 5.00
3.50 x 5.50
4.00 x 6.00
4.00 x 7.00

9'x12' would be the smallest youd want with a 9 foot tablethat gives you 3 foot on the head and foot of the table(a foot and a half on each side...... and the table is only 4.5 wide so youd have 2 foot 3 inches sticking out on each side of the table...or stightly less depending on actual dementions of table

id say youd want to go with 12x15

12x18 would probably be perfect if you want to stand on the rug while playing the game
but a rug that size would cost at least a thousand,
and realisticly two thousand plus depending on how fancy of a rug you get

Last edited:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Well, shoot.
We've had a pad under a carpet under the table in the (concrete) garage for about 8 months now. At this point, what should we be looking out for, and what should we do if/when problems happen? Thanks, and sorry to the op for the very brief hijack...

Mice, cockroaches, ants, spiders???

I have my table in the basement on carpet and pad. I haven't had a problem with it settling. I am a Millwright and leveling machinery is part of what I do.

RD3P

Banned
i know i dont think id spend the money for it but....if i was gonna spend 3-4 grand on a rug ...im atleast gonna want to get the wife drunk and nail her on it a few times a year...wich would be hard to do with a pool table in the way.
besides with the rug under the pool table ....Where is the dog gonna shit????? if he does decide to shit on it....its gonna be twice as hard to clean with the table in the way......

Paul Mon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my 2 cents

My table sits on a commercial grade rug/pad. It was leveled in 1998, never changed. Re-covered and relevelled in 2005, never changed. EXCEPT. Last fall a seam popped between the slates. About 6 weeks later it was back to normal. Dosen't make sense. Table (9' GCIII) sits in the basement. I believe that the entire floor moved and then moved back! But I can assure you that my commercial rug/pad did not settle and cause my table to move. A full sized GC is heavy, slates alone about 485 lbs.

If your table's feet are round, like a GC then you could put pad/rug and it wouldn't show. If it's more of a furniture table I'd keep the rug either completely under the table so you don't trip or extend it 5' all.

Paul

RD3P

Banned
also you can always put smaller rugs around the table like one 6x9 on each side and a 3x5 foot rug for the head and foot ...the rugs would be layed around the table not under it.....

just a thought.... would probably look good and be a little cheaper(smaller would beeasier to find used or at stores that arent specialty rug high dollor jobbies)

Last edited:

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
i know i dont think id spend the money for it but....if i was gonna spend 3-4 grand on a rug ...im atleast gonna want to get the wife drunk and nail her on it a few times a year...wich would be hard to do with a pool table in the way.
besides with the rug under the pool table ....Where is the dog gonna shit????? if he does decide to shit on it....its gonna be twice as hard to clean with the table in the way......

LOL, if I end up spending 3-4K on a rug, everyone is getting F'd on it!

BTW, the table is a Gold Crown III and its going in the living room, so it's gotta look pretty decent.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. Keep em coming, I got until this coming Wednesday to decide.

blah blah

Shoebat
LOL, if I end up spending 3-4K on a rug, everyone is getting F'd on it!

BTW, the table is a Gold Crown III and its going in the living room, so it's gotta look pretty decent.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. Keep em coming, I got until this coming Wednesday to decide.

I love the traditional oriental rugs, esp on hardwood floors. RD3P put a link from overstock.com but you have to keep searching them bcs they sell a lot, supoer- fast. Right this minute the largest, most expensive is about $1300.

But you have til Wednesday to decide? Meaning the table's coming Wednesday? Dude. We were under the gun on timing, too, and just couldn't pass up a great deal.

So we went to Home Depot, picked out a nice commercial grade carpet in deep blue (you specify the length- the rolls are HUGE), got the pads to go under, and just rolled them out. Since we were doing a garage, we just got enough so that we covered all but a foot away from the walls on the ends and then left a concrete workspace along one wall. You would have to actually throw your cue to get it to land on concrete.

I think the carpet/ rug is important in case you drop a ball or a cue, and the pad helps you play longer because you're not walking on really hard ground the whole time.

TheBook: I haven't noticed any leveling problems, either, but I was scared, there. Thanks.

Last edited:

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
My pool room is in our finished basement. When I moved into this house, we had padding and new carpet installed wall to wall. My table man has been my pal for years and even though I can take them down and re-install them by myself, I knew ahead of time that I would need his help in leveling the table. Before this house, it was in the basement of my old house, which was a double wide with cement floors. Much easier to get level.

The carpet made it a real chore to get the 9ft Brunswick leveled. But after about 4 hours total, it went from unpacked to laser leveled. And the hardest part by far was getting it perfect. But it was well worth every minute because there's no comparision for having carpeted floors when people who just bang the balls around come over to play and they inevitably knock balls off the table.

Since I still can't shoot just yet, I just walk around it every couple days or so and just sort of pet it. The table, not the carpet! :)

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my 2 cents

My table sits on a commercial grade rug/pad. It was leveled in 1998, never changed. Re-covered and relevelled in 2005, never changed. EXCEPT. Last fall a seam popped between the slates. About 6 weeks later it was back to normal. Dosen't make sense. Table (9' GCIII) sits in the basement. I believe that the entire floor moved and then moved back! But I can assure you that my commercial rug/pad did not settle and cause my table to move. A full sized GC is heavy, slates alone about 485 lbs.

If your table's feet are round, like a GC then you could put pad/rug and it wouldn't show. If it's more of a furniture table I'd keep the rug either completely under the table so you don't trip or extend it 5' all.

Paul

My table sits on a commercial grade rug/pad
This is the key sentance right here. There are a lot of differant carpet pads made. If you get a high density (18 pound) solid 1/4 inch commercial grade pad it will compress very little under a level loop commercial carpet. If you get a rebond 1/2 inch 6 pound pad it will take quite a while for it to settle.

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
hey Mark, like I told your wife, I like the idea of a rug in your room, the stain on the table is so close to the stain on the flooring. One thing to keep in mind is you have a walkway to the right of the table, you don't want the rug to be in your walkway unless it goes all the way to the wall. If you go too big with the rug, what would be the point of putting in hard wood floors. when picking your rug, don't get something too thick. And NO padding or anything should be under the rug, the wieght of the pool table is enough.
I never personally have had a rug underneath one of my tables. I would also like to hear from people that have rugs underneath their tables and what they do and don't like about the size of the rug.

Tiddler

AzB Silver Haired Member
Silver Member
Table Rug

A friend and I sold an old Brunswick table a couple years ago and he insisted on staging it with a 4x8 rug underneath it. It basically covered the area under the feet and table, but didn't stick out far enough anywhere on which to step. I was surprised how much better the table looked with the rug underneath and there was no worry about tripping over it. The first guy to see the table bought it.