Perfect aim - review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I obtained a Perfect Aim dvd so that I could review it for AZB. It’s apparently the second Perfect Aim dvd, which Gene Albrecht, its author, says contains some new and/or updated info – I haven’t seen the first one. The dvd is almost exactly one hour in length and features Gene at a pool table with his cue stick, a cue ball and an object ball describing and demonstrating the Perfect Aim method. I watched it all the way through carefully.

My opinion: it’s so bad that it doesn’t really deserve a serious review, and I wouldn't bother except for the fact that Gene continues to promote it heavily on AZB, makes extraordinary claims for its uniqueness and effectiveness, and asks an outrageous price for it ($80!).

My advice: save your money and instead reread some AZB threads on the topic.

Perfect Aim is nothing more than Gene’s opinion that we should sight all pool shots by aligning the “inside” edge of the CB with the place on the OB where it should overlap for the cut angle we want, and that we should position the eye nearest that side of the CB directly over this line to get the truest picture of it. For instance:

- for a 30-degree cut to the left (a 1/2 ball hit), sight from the CB’s left edge to the exact center of the OB by positioning the left eye over that line

- for a 49-degree cut to the right (a 1/4 ball hit), sight from the CB’s right edge to the point 1/2 radius in from the OB’s left edge by positioning the right eye over that line

- for a straight shot, sight from the CB’s edge to the OB’s edge by positioning the dominant eye over that line (obviously, using the edges on the dominant eye side)

That’s really all there is to the technique, and it’s obviously nothing new to AZB (and not proprietary intellectual property). Aligning the CB’s edge with the overlap point on the OB is simply the well known “double overlap” or “double offset” system, and positioning the eye directly over this line is one of several possible eye positions that have been extensively discussed and debated here. Gene seems to think that his opinion about the correct answer to this narrow question is worth $80 - I don’t think it’s worth very much at all, but maybe that’s just me.

I don’t know why Gene thinks this small topic should take an hour to explain and demonstrate – there’s really no more than ten or fifteen minutes worth of basic information (which, again, we’ve all heard before). I’m not counting his description of his technique for measuring cut angles and judging CB/OB overlap because, frankly, it’s not real information – it’s poorly conceived, imprecise and geometrically inaccurate.

I’m also not counting his description of his supposedly improved method of finding the dominant eye because, frankly, it’s not real information either – it’s vague and unreliable (literally “move your head until the shot looks good”), and in the end it doesn’t matter anyway because half the shots use the non-dominant eye (even though the first thing Gene emphasizes at the beginning of the dvd is that finding and knowing your dominant eye is the most important part of the Perfect Aim technique… ?).

As for Gene’s presentation style, organization and ability to communicate - well, let’s just say he shouldn’t quit his day job. Some blaring examples are (1) his non-description of how to find the dominant eye, (2) his insistence on the dominant eye's importance followed by his immediate abandonment of that idea, and (3) the fact that he describes how to sight a straight shot first, but doesn’t reveal until near the end of the dvd that you’re supposed to sight that shot from edge to edge and not from center to center. In general he’s much less articulate when speaking on camera than when writing on AZB - maybe because he’s more of a salesman than an instructor.

Production quality is amateur – every segment is done in one still-camera take with very little editing, Gene’s voice is cut off mid sentence at the end of some segments, etc., but this is a minor drawback that could have been overlooked if the dvd’s content was new or valuable (and it didn’t cost $80!).

Although Gene probably won’t appreciate me saying so at this point, I think he’s a likable and sincere guy who honestly thinks he has a uniquely beneficial technique to teach – I just think he’s wrong about the technique and the wrong guy to teach it. I also acknowledge that Gene is a very good player with many high-level tournament notches on his belt – I just don’t think that matters here.

pj
chgo

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks PJ, I had been wondering. I wasn't going to spend the money to find out, but I was curious. My curiosity is satisfied.

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
I can understand if you don't agree with Gene or his method. I would also think it's ok to give a bad review if you didn't agree with the content of the dvd. The fact that you disclose the material on an open forum to me seems not only to be in poor taste but also comes off as a form of theft. You might as well be taking money right out of the mans pocket. I don't always agree with you PJ but this is so far across the line. I really think you should consider editing your post and remove the technique and just stick with your personal review of the method.

CueGuy23

Registered
Excellent review

This is a very good review of this DVD, which I purchased and watched a number of times (the first version). I found myself asking all of the same questions about this DVD as this reviewer, particularly why so much emphasis is placed on the dominant eye in the beginning of the DVD when, as the reviewer says, the concept is essentially dropped from the rest of the DVD. If anything, the DVD illustrates that the dominant eye is NOT important, simply because the eye under which one places the cue stick changes, according to Gene, depending upon whether the ball is being cut to the left or the right. So why should determining one's dominant eye be so important? This is an important question that Gene's DVD left unanswered.

I cannot speak to whether the production quality of the second DVD is any better than the first, or whether anything valuable has been added. I do understand that Gene produced the first version as a supplement to the lesson rather than a stand-alone product, but he did sell it as a stand-alone product, and under no circumstances is it worth $80. I would not recommend purchasing this product at all.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
We have been warned! Thnks PJ

I obtained a Perfect Aim dvd so that I could review it for AZB. It’s apparently the second Perfect Aim dvd, which Gene Albrecht, its author, says contains some new and/or updated info – I haven’t seen the first one. The dvd is almost exactly one hour in length and features Gene at a pool table with his cue stick, a cue ball and an object ball describing and demonstrating the Perfect Aim method. I watched it all the way through carefully.

My opinion: it’s so bad that it doesn’t really deserve a serious review, and I wouldn't bother except for the fact that Gene continues to promote it heavily on AZB, makes extraordinary claims for its uniqueness and effectiveness, and asks an outrageous price for it ($80!).

Perfect Aim is nothing more than Gene’s opinion that we should sight all pool shots by aligning the “inside” edge of the CB with the place on the OB where it should overlap for the cut angle we want, and that we should position the eye nearest that side of the CB directly over this line to get the truest picture of it. For instance:

- for a 30-degree cut to the left (a 1/2 ball hit), sight from the CB’s left edge to the exact center of the OB by positioning the left eye over that line

- for a 49-degree cut to the right (a 1/4 ball hit), sight from the CB’s right edge to the point 1/2 radius in from the OB’s left edge by positioning the right eye over that line

- for a straight shot, sight from the CB’s edge to the OB’s edge by positioning the dominant eye over that line (obviously, using the edges on the dominant eye side)

That’s really all there is to the technique, and it’s obviously nothing new to AZB (and not proprietary intellectual property). Aligning the CB’s edge with the overlap point on the OB is simply the well known “double overlap” or “double offset” system, and positioning the eye directly over this line is one of several possible eye positions that have been extensively discussed and debated here. Gene seems to think that his opinion about the correct answer to this narrow question is worth $80 - I don’t think it’s worth very much at all, but maybe that’s just me.

I don’t know why Gene thinks this small topic should take an hour to explain and demonstrate – there’s really no more than ten or fifteen minutes worth of basic information (which, again, we’ve all heard before). I’m not counting his description of his technique for measuring cut angles and judging CB/OB overlap because, frankly, it’s not real information – it’s poorly conceived, imprecise and geometrically inaccurate.

I’m also not counting his description of his supposedly improved method of finding the dominant eye because, frankly, it’s not real information either – it’s vague and unreliable (literally “move your head until the shot looks good”), and in the end it doesn’t matter anyway because half the shots use the non-dominant eye (even though the first thing Gene emphasizes at the beginning of the dvd is that finding and knowing your dominant eye is the most important part of the Perfect Aim technique… ?).

As for Gene’s presentation style, organization and ability to communicate - well, let’s just say he shouldn’t quit his day job. Some blaring examples are (1) his non-description of how to find the dominant eye, (2) his insistence on the dominant eye's importance followed by his immediate abandonment of that idea, and (3) the fact that he describes how to sight a straight shot first, but doesn’t reveal until near the end of the dvd that you’re supposed to sight that shot from edge to edge and not from center to center. In general he’s much less articulate when speaking on camera than when writing on AZB - maybe because he’s more of a salesman than an instructor.

Production quality is amateur – every segment is done in one still-camera take with very little editing, Gene’s voice is cut off mid sentence at the end of some segments, etc., but this is a minor drawback that could have been overlooked if the dvd’s content was new or valuable (and it didn’t cost $80!).

Although Gene probably won’t appreciate me saying so at this point, I think he’s a likable and sincere guy who honestly thinks he has a uniquely beneficial technique to teach – I just think he’s wrong about the technique and the wrong guy to teach it. I also acknowledge that Gene is a very good player with many high-level tournament notches on his belt – I just don’t think that matters here.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson is a respected Member of this Forum, I thank him for putting his honest critique of "PERFECT AIMING" in BLACK & WHITE, think the bottom line is folk as PJ said, "My advice: save your money and instead reread some AZB threads on the topic.":deadhorse:

GREEN 4 U................. P.J.:bow-down:

poolhound

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

By far the most accurate post on this subject ever. I felt so ripped off after I purchased this video that I promised myself I would never waste anymore of my money on instructional pool videos. For what you get in both content and production quality ,$80 is ridiculously overpriced. IMHO

RD3P

Banned
thanks for the Review.....

i was wondering why it seemed like Geno was Dodging what i thought were legitimate Questions about what hes selling....
i guess i would dodge questions too When people are slapping leather to the tune of $80 a pop Becuase their curiosity got the best of them.

Giving a review is not Borderline theft....if you watch a movie and then, tell someone who asks what the movie is about...what its actually about ...it certainly isnt theft. ive seen plenty of movie Trailers that looked like the movie was gonna be great just to find out and be very dissapointed that its a dud and the best parts were in the 2 minute trailer...

thats a very odd statement to call this review "borderline theft".

if the product was this bad why werent people blowing the wistle sooneer????
probably because they would feel bad about it if they did.....

what the saying:
Shame on you for foolin me....shame on me for believing.

Last edited:

poolcuemaster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just traded one of Mika,s only so-so dvd the part 3 advanced for a perfect aim dvd and thought I might be getting a real good deal since the latter cost $80. This is just my opinion so don't flame me unless you just have too but I have thrown away more help in junk mail.--Leonard

Last edited:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I can understand if you don't agree with Gene or his method. I would also think it's ok to give a bad review if you didn't agree with the content of the dvd. The fact that you disclose the material on an open forum to me seems not only to be in poor taste but also comes off as a form of theft. You might as well be taking money right out of the mans pocket. I don't always agree with you PJ but this is so far across the line. I really think you should consider editing your post and remove the technique and just stick with your personal review of the method.

If the DVD is being promoted as it has been, claiming to offer the greatest aiming system ever, but actually delivers something that has been printed and discussed for years, I think it is perfectly fine to post that information. Nobody has to take his opinion as gospel. Everyone is still free to buy it or not as they see fit. We see other posters talk about other products or services they feel was "the best money I ever spent on my game", and again, people are free to purchase that service or product as they see fit. PJ posted his OPINION.

I, for one, appreciate his honesty.

Steve

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off i have not seen genes dvd, but i like a lot of azer's have been following all the threads regarding his perfect aim dvd. Most of the threads have been very positive, from the people who have seen the dvd and worked with gene personally. The bashers on this forum, you included patrick are unbelievable. Alll you have to do with your time is bash somebodys work and beliefs in what could or could not help someones game?

Everybody learns different and sometimes things just don't click in their head or make sense no matter how many ways you explain the process. Maybe gene's approach has clicked for people who have watched it? Does that make it bad, or the information crappy? I don't think so, and who are you and randy to be so abusive towards genes product? Just because your bca instructors? Lots of people have been around pool a long time like you guys, does that mean their knowledge is no good?

Patrick you should have a little more class then to post genes content on this forum. I don't see people bashing your lessons or randys lesson on this forum, i'm sure their are students who didnt have their lessons go perfect with you guys, or didn't get what you were trying to explain. Does that make you bad instructors? Of course not, they just didn't click with you for whatever reason. The light bulb in their head didn't go on.

My point here is gene has a product, he thinks it's good info, and evidently the many people who have purchased it feel that way too. Gene has also been on this forum many times to address things, of course he is not going to tell the whole dvd on here, that defeats making it in the first place. Lots of good players have made dvds that maybe weren't great, does that mean the info is bad? Tell buddy hall his instructional stuff was bad, or what he personally does is wrong. I don't recall you and randy bashing him? People click on different levels, maybe yours, maybe randys, maybe genes, maybe not at all. That doesn't mean it's wrong.

What is wrong is all the negative crap you guys give gene! As well as cocopuff and that r3po guy. I think this is a pool instructor jealousy thing myself, what do you and randy charge for lessons? I know what scott lee charges. If someone wants to spend 80 on pool instruction that is their business. If you don't have anything good to say, don't post. If genes methods are that bad, eventually he won't have work giving lessons, then you can say i told you so, but in the mean time give the rest of us a break with your gene bashing, you too randy, cocopuff, and that r3po guy too. Go be negative somewhere else.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow PJ! This was a very "brave" review. Gene is well-liked by a lot of people, and he has apparently had many customers for his DVD. I don't think any of them will appreciate your candid and revealing review very much. I hope none of them know where you live. :eek:

I think what Gene has to offer is not "silver bullet" information. His information might be useful to some people, but probably not to people who have already thought about and worked on sighting. I think the true value Gene provides is the ability to work with an individual during a private lesson to help make them more aware of how they sight certain types of shots. I think that can be valuable to many people. It also helps that he is a great player. Some people will not take lessons from anyone who can't play better than them. These people can especially benefit from Gene as a teacher.

Regards,
Dave

pj
chgo

RD3P

Banned
First off i have not seen genes dvd.......
.......If you don't have anything good to say, don't post. Go be negative somewhere else.

LOL .... yea let everyone buy it for $80 and ty your hands behind your back.....i havent seen it either...and this review confirms my suspicions about it to a teeee.

im not buying this Be nice to Geno crap.
and i dont care if you all slam me for saying it.
i havent been posting here that long....but ive been following and reading this site from the days along time ago when this place was much smaller

personally i dont think people would have a problem with the dvd if it was sold at a reasonable price. and wasnt toted as the best thing since Beer or Coffee was invented.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
personally i dont think people would have a problem with the dvd if it was sold at a reasonable price. and wasnt toted as the best thing since Beer or Coffee was invented.

Perfect Aiming IMHO was sold like it was the Holy Grail of Pool without it you could never make shots.

Think if someone is seeking a Good BASIC DVD on how to Play Pool, with Aim Training Device for a Christmas/Holiday Present this year for under $20.00 on you door step delivered, click the link.

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
thats a very odd statement to call this review "borderline theft".
QUOTE]

Maybe you and I just have a different moral compass. I wouldn't go to any instructor in the country and learn Pro One or SAM or whatever they specialize in. Come home write a review and tell everyone exactly how to do what these people make their living selling. To me that is wrong. You don't need to post the technique to do the review. Would you feel the same if I posted a youtube video on the SAM method and everytime Scott Lee or RandyG tried to help a student with this method I sent them the link and said here it is!!! Learn it for free right here. Sorry but I don't agree with your thinking.

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok so what if i took 2 pool lessons, 1 from patrick, and 1 from randy. Then i got on here and said that they both suck as instuctors! The lessons were shit, i didnt learn anything useful, and i felt ripped off!!!

Then everytime anything came up about either one of them on this forum, i continually bashed their methods. And what if i detailed their lessons on this forum and said " they charged me this much money for this crap, what a rip off" would that be right of me to do? Not in my opinion, but thats what they are doing to gene, and his product. I wouldn't screw with their livelihood because i didn't care for their methods. Does anyone see my point here?

I haven't seen genes dvd, so i'm not defending the content of his product, i just don't care for the bashers on this forum, which unfortunetly include 2 bca master instructors. I would think you would have a little professional courtesy in this matter. But i guess not, too bad, it only makes you look bad.

Btw, i am a good player and have priced lessons from a well known instructor on this forum, $200 minimum! Thats not cheap and i have to ask myself what is he really going to do for my game? In the end i haven't got the lesson, but i'm not bashing him about his price for "maybe" helping my game. It's an unknown i'm not ready to spend $200 to find out, and thats my choice. As well as people who choose to spend $80 on genes dvd. It's their choice, people who haven't seen the dvd like cocopuff and r3p0 shouldn't be bashing gene.

schon267

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol .... Yea let everyone buy it for $80 and ty your hands behind your back.....i havent seen it either...and this review confirms my suspicions about it to a teeee.

Im not buying this be nice to geno crap.
And i dont care if you all slam me for saying it.
I havent been posting here that long....but ive been following and reading this site from the days along time ago when this place was much smaller

personally i dont think people would have a problem with the dvd if it was sold at a reasonable price. And wasnt toted as the best thing since beer or coffee was invented.

good you don't have to buy it, just keep your shitty opinions to yourself you douchebag, and since you haven't been posting here that long, make it longer til the next time!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
a slightly different review

I have played pool for 17 years, and the things that Gene showed in his DVD were new to me. I also learned a couple of invaluable practice tools to help me work on this and other areas of my game.

Since I obtained this DVD I worked hard on my game and played a lot of pool, including drills that focused on this sighting method. I have incorporated the sighting into my preshot routine.

I am a solid player, and on most shots I feel very comfortable pocketing the ball just based on my many hours at the table. However, on certain problem shots, funny angles, or just anytime I am not seeing the shot quite right, I can drum this up from the subconscious level to the conscious. In other words, as long as everything is working, I just keep it on auto and keep it in my preshot routine. If I start struggling to see shots, then I go ahead and focus consciously on setting up correctly until my rhythm reestablishes and the balls start looking easy again.

Since I have done this I have played the best pool of my life and had some modest success on the table. Yes, it took more than a DVD. If you want to be grow as a player it takes a complete commitment to work on your game and an enormous amount of effort. No DVD can do that for you. However, if you are committed to slowly improving your game level by level, and there are any shots on the table that look funny, this DVD makes sense. I know I'm not asking for my money back. In my case, I can confidently say it was well worth the money, and it has already paid for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.