Predator vs. OB shafts
Old
  (#1)
tonto21
AzB Bronze Member
tonto21 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Predator vs. OB shafts - 12-08-2009, 09:24 PM

I am looking to improve my game, so I am buying a decent cue finally. I do not know very much as far as the technical aspects or difference in some of the higher end equipment, but something that has become obvious to me is that a high end shaft is essential. Predator and OB seem to be the shafts of choice, or so it seems...so my question to you is what are the differences in the predator shafts vs. OB. and further more what are the differences between models in brand ex: pred 314 1st gen vs 2nd gen vs Z? and OB1 vs. OB2? Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks

adding to confusion
Old
  (#2)
berlowmj
AzB Silver Member
berlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond reputeberlowmj has a reputation beyond repute

adding to confusion - 12-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto21 View Post
I am looking to improve my game, so I am buying a decent cue finally. I do not know very much as far as the technical aspects or difference in some of the higher end equipment, but something that has become obvious to me is that a high end shaft is essential. Predator and OB seem to be the shafts of choice, or so it seems...so my question to you is what are the differences in the predator shafts vs. OB. and further more what are the differences between models in brand ex: pred 314 1st gen vs 2nd gen vs Z? and OB1 vs. OB2? Which do you prefer and why?

Thanks
You should also consider the Universal Smart Shaft

Easy Pick
Old
  (#3)
SKILLZELITE
Universality
SKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond reputeSKILLZELITE has a reputation beyond repute

Easy Pick - 12-08-2009, 09:39 PM

I prefer Predators over OB's, in all tapers and sizes available..
( I own both shafts )
314 is 1st generation, its taper ,and 10 pie made the shaft less deflective than most other brands by a minimum of 28%..
314-2 -- its taper was more rounded to give even less deflection than the "314 1st generation"by 7 or 8%,,the 314-2 is about 35% less deflective than other cues on the market,both the 314 and 314-2 tip diameters are standard 12.75

ob1's are 12.75 in diameter on the tip, i.m.o. they hit like mix between mcdermott and meucci standard shafts only softer because theres cusion somewhere on the shaft ,I believe its in, or beneath the ferrule..

Predator Z is a smaller taper and smaller tip at 11.75 ,z's or 38% less deflective than other cues ..

Predator Z-2 tip diameter like the 1st 'Z' is european standard size at 11.75 ,,
because of the z-2 taper,, its 51% less deflective than other SHAFTS [including oB] ..

OB 2 is a 11.75 tip,with a smaller taper as well , making it less deflective than the Ob 1.. but deflective to a degree none the less !!

The Predator has a firmer hit ,with the Predator shaft, I can use less of the cue ball ,and less power to achieve english ,and sets..

OB's hits are much softer than predator,, I have to hit the ball harder to get around the table ,, and I have to compensate the tangent line more with Ob's to achieve my desired english ..

Predators Trump OB's hands down i.m.o.

Last edited by SKILLZELITE; 12-08-2009 at 10:10 PM.

Old
  (#4)
m79a
AzB Silver Member
m79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond reputem79a has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2009, 09:54 PM

I have owned a Predator and a OB1, I prefer the OB1. It's a matter of personal preference. Both are excellent shafts, you really can't go wrong with either one. I do believe OB's are made in the U.S.A. if that makes any difference to you.

Dale

Player: Schon STL7/ OB1 shaft
Break cue: Woodworth
Jump cue: Alex Brick
JB 3 x 6 case

Trying to kick sarcasm one day at a time

Old
  (#5)
JasonS
jason-sadler.com
JasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2009, 09:54 PM

I've hit with an OB-1 and a 314-2 and between the two the predator 314-2 suited my style. The OB-1 felt like I was hitting with a sausage.

I didn't stick with either one btw... If I were to get a special high-fangled shaft I'd probably go with a Tiger. That low deflection special amazing shaft hobnobbery is rubbish in my opinion (unless of course the shaft that came with the cue is rubbish) because anything you can do with a 314 or whatever you can do with a standard maple shaft with a good tip and taper that suits your style.

The real benefit that I see is if you go through cues a lot you wont have to adjust very much if you stick with the same shaft.

Playing since 2007

Old
  (#6)
JasonS
jason-sadler.com
JasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond reputeJasonS has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlowmj View Post
You should also consider the Universal Smart Shaft
Those look pretty cool!

Playing since 2007

Old
  (#7)
instroke2
AzB Silver Member
instroke2 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke2 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke2 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke2 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke2 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke2 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke2 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke2 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke2 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke2 has a reputation beyond reputeinstroke2 has a reputation beyond repute

12-08-2009, 10:27 PM

[QUOTE=JasonS;2162139]I've hit with an OB-1 and a 314-2 and between the two the predator 314-2 suited my style. The OB-1 felt like I was hitting with a sausage.

that's too funny...! I never heard that one before, I do agree due to the ferrule being wood, and the shaft having the foam insert. But still allot of players here swear by it.

Never tried the Tiger shafts but the Mezz ones are really good too.

Old
  (#8)
SCCues
< Searing Twins
SCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond reputeSCCues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

12-09-2009, 05:37 AM

I own 6 predator shafts (314 and 314-2's) and I owned 2 OB1 shafts. I bought the OB1 shafts to see if I liked them better than my predator shafts and I didn't like the OB1's. Maybe I was just used to the predator hit, but the predators just feel better to me.

James

Playing cue:--Murrell--
Cues:--Mottey, Murrell, James White--
Favorite Pool Games:--9 Ball & One Pocket--

ob-1 vs 314
Old
  (#9)
jackpot
AzB Silver Member
jackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond reputejackpot has a reputation beyond repute

ob-1 vs 314 - 12-09-2009, 06:36 AM

I have tried both. The 314 makes a plastic sound when you hit the
cb with any thing but center ball. I had a ob-1 but it was a little small
for me. Royce fitted a 13 1/4 ob to a new OB cue for me that I picked
up for him Monday. Only got to hit a few balls yesterday and it had a very
solid hit no matter where you hit the cb. The hit did not seem as soft as
the ob-1 just very solid. I am going to play for a few hours with it today
and will put my thoughts on cue and shaft in cue reviews.
jack

Old
  (#10)
metallicane
AzB Gold Member
metallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond reputemetallicane has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

12-09-2009, 07:09 AM

I have tried them all and hate the look of the OB shafts, but I play so much better with them that I will continue to use OB shafts. No idea why I pocket more balls with the OB but I do.

Predator vs. OB shafts
Old
  (#11)
nancewayne
AzB Silver Member
nancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond reputenancewayne has a reputation beyond repute

Predator vs. OB shafts - 12-09-2009, 07:36 AM

1st, compare the Predator 314-2 and the OB-1 (both with 12.75mm tips). Performance (low deflection) is about the same. The difference is the feedback (hit)...the 314-2 vibrates on the grip hand, the OB-1 doesn't. The sound each one makes is different.
The smaller 11.75 tips of both the Predator Z-2 and the OB-2 give even more spin, but you have to be VERY careful in cueing the cue ball. A very small degree off from where you want to hit the cue ball will cause a missed shot! Also, both have a cone taper and not the pro taper of the other shafts, so the cue fattens up quickly when stroking it.

Old
  (#12)
mdavis228
AzB Gold Member
mdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond reputemdavis228 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5300

12-09-2009, 07:48 AM

I prefer the OB1 myself, but it's entirely a matter of preference - although there has been a spate of broken (sometimes repeatedly) 314-2's showing up lately. If your product breaks down with frequency - standing behind it loses appeal for me.
The only thing I will pass along is... If your stroke, and the control of it, aren't quite well established, I would never recommend some one moving to a thinner shaft for improvement. What you're buying is an increased opportunity to fail.

Chris Davis

If you're gonna sell cues, buy a scale and calipers.

Main players: Custom Olneys, LP Titlist, McDaniel - piloted joints for me.
Play shafts: OB1, OB Classic, Ca$h ferrule-less
Break: X Breaker w/ OB Break shaft & Poison VX
Jump: Lomax & Poison VX
Main case: The "Chris case" and Mason by JB

Old
  (#13)
spliced
AzB Silver Member
spliced has a reputation beyond reputespliced has a reputation beyond reputespliced has a reputation beyond reputespliced has a reputation beyond reputespliced has a reputation beyond reputespliced has a reputation beyond reputespliced has a reputation beyond reputespliced has a reputation beyond reputespliced has a reputation beyond reputespliced has a reputation beyond reputespliced has a reputation beyond repute

12-09-2009, 08:28 AM

I wish that predator would reassess their quality control and figure out how to make a lively feeling low deflection shaft that doesnt break all the time.

I also wish OB would come out with a 13mm shaft as low squirt as a 3142 with a hard, stiff hit, and a white ferrule.

Old
  (#14)
brandoncook26
AzB Gold Member
brandoncook26 has a reputation beyond reputebrandoncook26 has a reputation beyond reputebrandoncook26 has a reputation beyond reputebrandoncook26 has a reputation beyond reputebrandoncook26 has a reputation beyond reputebrandoncook26 has a reputation beyond reputebrandoncook26 has a reputation beyond reputebrandoncook26 has a reputation beyond reputebrandoncook26 has a reputation beyond reputebrandoncook26 has a reputation beyond reputebrandoncook26 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-09-2009, 09:03 AM

The bottom line for the OP is just like everything in life, everyone has a different opinion. My friend swears by Predator shafts. I tried a Z2 for about six months and just couldn't get used to it. I play with a 4.5 ounce 40year old maple shaft with an Ivory ferrule, so I am probably the wrong guy to discuss deflection.

My advice would be to try the shaft that is on your cue before you go switching to something else. Hell, you may discover that the shaft you have feels the best to you. Also, if you switch, you should play with something for at least a few months to really get the feel of it.

I would agree with what someone posted earlier. If you change cues a lot, using a predator shaft will allow you to transition much easier. If you play with the same cue all the time, I really don't see the need for it. You just have to find something you like and stick with it.

Old
  (#15)
Zivan1967
AzB Silver Member
Zivan1967 has a reputation beyond reputeZivan1967 has a reputation beyond reputeZivan1967 has a reputation beyond reputeZivan1967 has a reputation beyond reputeZivan1967 has a reputation beyond reputeZivan1967 has a reputation beyond reputeZivan1967 has a reputation beyond reputeZivan1967 has a reputation beyond reputeZivan1967 has a reputation beyond reputeZivan1967 has a reputation beyond reputeZivan1967 has a reputation beyond repute

12-09-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKILLZELITE View Post
I prefer Predators over OB's, in all tapers and sizes available..
( I own both shafts )
314 is 1st generation, its taper ,and 10 pie made the shaft less deflective than most other brands by a minimum of 28%..
314-2 -- its taper was more rounded to give even less deflection than the "314 1st generation"by 7 or 8%,,the 314-2 is about 35% less deflective than other cues on the market,both the 314 and 314-2 tip diameters are standard 12.75

ob1's are 12.75 in diameter on the tip, i.m.o. they hit like mix between mcdermott and meucci standard shafts only softer because theres cusion somewhere on the shaft ,I believe its in, or beneath the ferrule..

Predator Z is a smaller taper and smaller tip at 11.75 ,z's or 38% less deflective than other cues ..

Predator Z-2 tip diameter like the 1st 'Z' is european standard size at 11.75 ,,
because of the z-2 taper,, its 51% less deflective than other SHAFTS [including oB] ..

OB 2 is a 11.75 tip,with a smaller taper as well , making it less deflective than the Ob 1.. but deflective to a degree none the less !!

The Predator has a firmer hit ,with the Predator shaft, I can use less of the cue ball ,and less power to achieve english ,and sets..

OB's hits are much softer than predator,, I have to hit the ball harder to get around the table ,, and I have to compensate the tangent line more with Ob's to achieve my desired english ..

Predators Trump OB's hands down i.m.o.
It's important to note that your deflection percentages aren't refering to other low deflection shafts, there's no way a z-2 deflects 51% less than an ob-2. There saying the z-2 deflects 51% less then a conventional shaft, so there talking about standard non upgraded shafts from production models because even some customs have things done to them to lower deflection.

The main reason you have to compensate more with an ob-2 is because your hitting the ball harder because you believe you're not getting as much spin with the ob-2, all cues deflect more the harder you stroke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: