Please ID this cue, possible Palmer or Paradise?

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
A friend brought this cue to the pool room and asked me to try and find out who made it and what the approximate value might be. It was given to him by a well off gentleman that was close to his family and he has kept it stored most of the time since then.

The shaft is an inch shorter than the butt and it's thicker overall than the cues made currently, any help identifying would be much appreciated. Don't know if he wants to sell it or not but you never know, thank you very much for your time I know the folks of the AZ forum will be able to give the best information possible.

So far the guesses have been a Paradise or Palmer made either in the 60's or early 70's but that info is coming from a very unconfirmed source.........me.

Attachments

• five.jpg
    five.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,882
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,500
  • one.jpg
    one.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,457
  • six.jpg
    six.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 2,564
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 2,481

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I could have been Rich!

Bought a cue like this when i was a kid in Albequerque.
It was a Rich cue. Cost me $85 with 2 shafts.
Could have bought Jimmy Moore's Paradise with his name on it.
Thought it was too heavy for me.
...what a dummy

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
A friend brought this cue to the pool room and asked me to try and find out who made it and what the approximate value might be. It was given to him by a well off gentleman that was close to his family and he has kept it stored most of the time since then.

The shaft is an inch shorter than the butt and it's thicker overall than the cues made currently, any help identifying would be much appreciated. Don't know if he wants to sell it or not but you never know, thank you very much for your time I know the folks of the AZ forum will be able to give the best information possible.

So far the guesses have been a Paradise or Palmer made either in the 60's or early 70's but that info is coming from a very unconfirmed source.........me.

I suspect that the cue is a cue made By Rich Cues

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Gandy

I have the same cue and I think it is a Gandy, made when Ricco Cervantes was there.
It resembles cues in the photo section of the Blue Book under Ricco, as well as the main section.
It also looks like some cues in the old Gandy catalog.

RGN 001.jpg

RGN 004.jpg

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
Thank you for the information everyone, tried looking up a price online but had no luck. Does anyone know of a ballpark value for this cue? Not looking for specifics, just an idea on what to tell my friend. Thanks again guys/girls!!

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Value

Thank you for the information everyone, tried looking up a price online but had no luck. Does anyone know of a ballpark value for this cue? Not looking for specifics, just an idea on what to tell my friend. Thanks again guys/girls!!

You could contact Marco Cervantes in Chicago to verify that his dad made the cue which I think he did.
The forearm is shown on page 78-BB #3 only with the Ricco pin which is why I think it is a Gandy maed by Ricco.
Ricco worked there making cues.
Again it looks like other cues in the old Gandy "tournament cue" catalog.
They may increase the value if someone wanted a Ricco cue for their collection, but even then it's not like having a Frank Paradise cue or even a Palmer.
There's not too many of them around but I'm thinking $275 to $400.
Whatever someone is willing to pay on a cue like this.
If someone thinks they are worth more let me know.
I hope it's worth $2K

They are kind of cool just to have in a little collection.
Unusual to say the least.

Last edited:

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You need to check the Bluebook - then divide by 5.6:)

IMHO - it is a Gandy as mentioned above - they called their cue
line National Tournament Cue - after the chalk I assume.

Ricco was the cuemaker - he later went out on his own - if it could be established
as one of his cues - I would guess the price would increase by a factor of 2 or 3(?)

Ricco/National tournament cues do look quite a bit like Rich cues.
There's prolly a story there somewhere.

Dale

billiardcue

11th Commandment
Silver Member
Scan of an old Gandy cue catalog from Ricco, in the letter that accompanied the catalog Ricco said he worked for Gandy from 1969 - 1973.

RiccoGandy2.jpg

RiccoGandy1.jpg

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scan of an old Gandy cue catalog from Ricco, in the letter that accompanied the catalog Ricco said he worked for Gandy from 1969 - 1973.

Dick,

Love the old brochure - do you know what year it represents?

Very evident the Palmer influence - and Viking with the dreadful
double steel joint.

Dale

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I think the one shown is a Rich - this based on the joint. It's very difficult to tell them apart, but the Gandy's I've seen have the distinctive metal to metal joint. The value is not high, maybe $200 - $300.

Dick - thanks for posting the Gandy brochure!

Chris

CaptainHook

NOT Mike Sigel
Silver Member
Ricco then relocated to Tampa where he was making cues for Robertsons biliard supply, while there he trained Larry "Larue" Haymes.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
You need to check the Bluebook - then divide by 5.6:)

Ricco was the cuemaker - he later went out on his own - if it could be established
as one of his cues - I would guess the price would increase by a factor of 2 or 3(?)

Ricco/National tournament cues do look quite a bit like Rich cues.
There's prolly a story there somewhere.

Dale

They may have used the name because from Mid-1967 until the end of 1968 Ricco worked for the National Chalk company building cues with Bob Meucci, Dick Helmstetter, and Paul Huebler.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Paradise almost always had multiple colors in his plastic work. Usually a shade of red or blue and white. I don't know what happened to all his old cues, maybe they all fell apart. I remember Frank well. He was a slick looking older man, trim and neatly groomed with a pencil mustache. Always wore a suit too. He drove an old Mercedes, the model with the fins. He was the first cue maker I ever met. His cues were expensive for the 60's, in the $75 price range.

Funny what things stick with you after all these year.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
from the International Cuemaker's Hall of Fame.

Abe Rich: Inducted 2009

Abe was born as Abraham Rutschaisky. He started building cues in 1962 at his cousin Saul's “Rich Cue Company” in New York. In 1965 he and his brother Morris built cues as “Florida Cues” until Abe went out on his own as “Star Cues” in 1973. Abe had been a wood worker by trade and even carved wooden clogs and canteens while incarcerated in the Dachau death camp during World War II. Abe came from a family line of wood turners and prided himself on hand turning all of his cues. He did not use routers for tapering or pantographs for inlaying. He was truly one of the longest lasting old school cuemakers. He did not have any of the fancy equipment you might expect to find in a 21 st century cue shop. He had a simple wood turning lathe, a few pieces of wood working equipment and floor to ceiling shelves full of wood that he had been turning on for decades. Walking into his shop was like walking back in time a few decades. He kept turning cues by hand all the way up until he passed away at age 82 in 2008. Our industry not only lost a great cuemaker, but his passing closed out an era of cue making that had almost totally died out decades ago. Abe was the last of the popular cuemakers that turned all of his cues by hand on a wood lathe.

An interview shortly before he passed.
http://wlrnunderthesun.org/2009/01/the-pool-cue-maker/

I would think the value goes up now that he is gone but in this economy who can tell what anything is worth.......

itzel0101

buyselltradecues
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have this cue

What do you guys think this cue is? Iam really interested and need info on cue. thanks:thumbup:

Attachments

• old custom cue 001.jpg
    old custom cue 001.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 382
  • old custom cue 002.jpg
    old custom cue 002.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 373
  • old custom cue 003.jpg
    old custom cue 003.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 363
  • old custom cue 004.jpg
    old custom cue 004.jpg