ld shaft for my shon??

ILgrizz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im thinking about getting a ld shaft for my schon but don't know wich one to get.predator 314-2 0r z2 or ob1 or ob2.looking for advice.what you reccomend and why.thanks azers

Hierovision

Dios mio, man.
Silver Member
Just from hearing about different combos and how they play I'd say the 314-2. Schon butts+Predator shafts have developed a reputation as an amazing combination. The guy I play every day at lunch has a schon+314(1st gen) and he's a very knowledgeable guy who has been around the pool world for 40+ years.

shadowcat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an schon-logoed OB1 for my SP1106, and it fits my style of play. As the previous poster said, it's all a matter of personal preference. I've hit with a z, 314, 314-2, and ob2, but I prefer the hit of an OB1.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
Definitely a personal preference issue. If you can, try 'em out, and see which one you like. The feel will be different for each option, and the tip diameter makes a huge difference in how well a shaft fits your personal preferences. I don't think any of the ones you mentioned are intrinsically better than the others.

-Andrew

m79a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently shoot with a OB1 on my Schon. I have had a Predator 314 on it and prefer the OB1.

n33njah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
personal experience

I know firsthand because i'm going through the same progession towards an LD for my Schon stl-8. It's an ugly stick according to almost eeevery person whose seen it, at least here at home but its sentimental. After going from a 314-2 predator sneaky pete combination to the schon shaft i've noticed a huge difference. Point of my post is that if you're used to the schon taper and playstyle the Z will probably be whats most comfortable but definitely take time and take it to a supplier or a room and try to hit a few with each shaft. I used an ob-2 the other night and fellllll the hell in love with it.

.02 not worth even that :D

All4Moose

Moose
Silver Member
i recieved an ob2 for my sl18 for christmas and all i can say is WOW! i really love this shaft! I usto play with the z2 and I liked it, but there is something completely different with the OB. can't explain it, but it just feels really good in your hands. I did a little comparison of the two and after playing with the ob for a few hours, i decided to play with the z2. 10 mins later, I was back with the OB2. Great product from what seems to be a dedicated group of guys.
Mr. bunnell keep up the good work.
so imho give the OB shafts a try, you may like what you find. Everyone knows I did! :)

Hawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I currently shoot with a OB1 on my Schon. I have had a Predator 314 on it and prefer the OB1.

Did the OB1 fit your Schon without sending the cue back to Schon for any joint fine-tuning?

shadowcat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB makes a Schon-specific OB1 and OB2, with the Schon logo. The joint is a Schon piloted 5/16 x 14.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
There are many *LD-Shafts* around in the pool world. I played now with many of them, because i was curious (didn t play about 10 years- so laminated shafts were new for me)- played now 314², 314, Z/Predator and at last i tested the OB Shafts. I used to play before my break *bonehard* shafts- So it was really, really funny testing these shafts with this new *technique*(have to say, even so layered tips were new to me). I was surprised how big the difference was with some shafts. Sure each shaft has his own feeling and abilities- but for me there are not many which satisfied me (all just for myself- you have to test always on your own!!). I gave the medal to the OB Shaft- very nice shaft, 2nd i would choose a 314² shaft- and even here are differences in my opinion. I tested 3 314² shafts, 1 original and 2 built by cuemakers- i prefered the 2 built my cuemakers. they came with ivory ferrules and overlength with 2 inches more.
So all in all the OB Shaft is super for me- try to test some laminated shafts before you re deciding to buy. There are really big differences. And even so the Diameter is important- You could have same deflection with a *normal* shaft with a 12.25 Diameter like with a ld-shaft 12.75. All just depending on the craftmanship of the cuemaker and of course all is depending on the *Endmass*. That s just physics:) and you can t tricky or beat given physics :)

ob-1 and ob-2 are both absolutley top-level shafts for me. but i would never ever say they are better than any other shaft- they just feel super for me and i am satisfied with them!

trying for before buying is the key:) and let u a bit time. Place some straight in draw shots and some follow shots and try to do some progressive strokes with different speeds to see the difference. Then shoot balls with 2 diamonds difference between cueball and object ball with english for about 15 minutes- then shoot same ball but 4 diamonds difference between cueball and object ball. So you can see where you ll have the best feeling. NO matter what other s tell you- you re the only one who can know what s comfortable for you,

take care and have fun while trying :)

lg
Ingo

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I have two Schons and in my humble opinion, you can't beat the original Schon shafts. However, I've become partial to Pred shafts and use the Z
and 314 1st generation on both the Schons. They make a good combination.
Be patient and watch the For Sale forum and you'll eventually get either shaft for a decent price. If you find you don't like them, you'll be able to recoup your money.