Just Purchased A Kling!

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all,

I'm kinda new to the forum here but thought I would reflect on some very good fortune that befell me earlier this afternoon. It seems I am the proud owner of a vintage six leg Brunswick Kling! Overall it's in really good shape for a 100 year old table but there are some issues with the bottom of the legs, which I hope to repair as best I can for now. I will not have it set up for several weeks (maybe longer do to the leg repairs) but will post some pictures of it as soon as I can. The laminate seems to be rosewood and shopuld be quite stunning once cleaned up. The gentleman that I bought it from really came through and included new cushions, new cloth, new pockets and set up in the purchase price.

Cheers,
RG

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Hello all,

I'm kinda new to the forum here but thought I would reflect on some very good fortune that befell me earlier this afternoon. It seems I am the proud owner of a vintage six leg Brunswick Kling! Overall it's in really good shape for a 100 year old table but there are some issues with the bottom of the legs, which I hope to repair as best I can for now. I will not have it set up for several weeks (maybe longer do to the leg repairs) but will post some pictures of it as soon as I can. The laminate seems to be rosewood and shopuld be quite stunning once cleaned up. The gentleman that I bought it from really came through and included new cushions, new cloth, new pockets and set up in the purchase price.

Cheers,
RG

Sounds great! Is it a 9ft ? They are beautiful! I have a 9ft Regina at the refinisher now getting spruced up. I recently sold my Gold Crown and replaced it with a Diamond so I won't have room for it in my home. If anyone is looking for a 9ft Brunswick antique, this would give you the functionality of a 9 footer with the historically antique beauty. You can get an idea what a Kling, a Regina or for that matter most of the Brunswick antiques at http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/our_rich_history/antique_tables/index.html

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread! I truly want to congratulate you on your purchase! That's one of the most desirable antique pool tables ever built! Kinda like finding an old '57 Nomad! Enjoy!

just more hot air!

Sherm

Snookered007

Ticky Tricky
Silver Member
I'm curious also, is it a 9 or 10 footer? Billiard or pool? Either one of the sizes or styles is beautiful. There was so much craftsmanship put into those tables. Congratulations!!

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks gents,

It's a nine footer (pool), all original with the 1-1/2" slate. Looks like a nice rosewood laminate with some simple inlays throughout the table. Should be a looker when I get her legs fixed and put together. Not going to be easy moving the slate though. I am sooo glad the gentleman I purchased it from is helping with the disassembly/reassembly as well as putting new rubber, pockets and cloth on. I'm tempted to ask him if he can't bring the rubber into the pockets a little to tighten things up but this almost seems like a disservice to the table. An old table should play like an old table (albeit a NICE old table) kinda thing. I don't know? One thing is for sure, It's going to be hard seeing it in the basement and not being able to play on it (due to the needed repairs). I'm hoping that it's not going to be more than a month or so before she's ready for her final assembly.

I'll keep you posted, pictures to follow.

Cheers,
RG

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just started cleaning her up. Here's a shot of the 2 end sections. The bottom of the legs need a little work but everything is in pretty decent shape overall. The center legs need a lot more work however. I'm hoping to have it done in the next month or so.

Kling001.jpg

Kling002.jpg

Kling003.jpg

RG

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Looks awesome....would love to see the finished product. :thumbup:

Last edited:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Just a Suggestion

What you have there is kinda special. I'm sure you are in a rush to have it put together and having the seller willing to do it for/with you is such a help. I would just like to suggest slowing down and having the wood cleaned up/refinished as you will never do it once the table is together. Nothing wrong with extensions/shims if you have it done right.

What a great table.

Kevin

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that's a Kling. It seems to be built exactly the same and every bit the same table except the inlays and the Kling has the added wood pieces on the legs. But yours has the Jumbo Legs and probably the compound construction rail.

Awesome and Beautiful.. Great find. Maybe even better. Looks like it's a rare model. Not even shown on the Brunswick site. Is the head rail inlaid with the Brunswick label or is it a brass plate. Inlaid many times would indicate a custom table.

Here's the Kling 6 Leg off the site.
http://www.brunswickbilliards.com/our_rich_history/antique_tables/kling_6_leg.html

MN Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It may be a custom Kling. Everything is identicle to the Kling on Brunswick's site except the inlays. I do not have the rails as the previous owner is putting new rubber and felt on them. I did see the label however and it was an intricate inlay where all the individual lettering was carved into the head rail and then filled with lead (very cool).

Thanks all and I'll post completed pictures when she's done.

RG

Dartman

Silver Member
It may be a custom Kling. Everything is identicle to the Kling on Brunswick's site except the inlays. I do not have the rails as the previous owner is putting new rubber and felt on them. I did see the label however and it was an intricate inlay where all the individual lettering was carved into the head rail and then filled with lead (very cool).

Thanks all and I'll post completed pictures when she's done.

RG

Odd that there are no inlays. It does have the center block shared by only a few models.
You might try shooting a pic to Ken Hash at www.classicbilliards.net for an opinion.

Since you're new just want to let you know there is a Mechanics section in the forum frequented by
folks that have worked on tables like yours so if you have any questions that would be a good place to ask.

BTW on the pocket tightening you might check to see if whoever is redoing the cushions can use a
set of 3/16" facings which will tighten things up a bit without having to do any extra rail work.