Let's see your horns!

rugerfan

Got a Snakewood fetish...
Silver Member
I have rarely seen cues made with either antler or horn. There is a cue in the classified section with a water buffalo horn handle...very cool. Got me thinking. Anyone else have any cues that have either some type of horn or antler (besides Ivory...)?

My cue was built by a small father/son operation working out of W.V. My cue is made of some killer bacote, curley maple, gaboon ebony and elk antler. Notice that the ferrel is also made of antler. This cue is one of the highlights of my cue collection. It hits like a truck and has the least amount of deflection I have ever seen in a cue. Being that I am a hunter, this cue really appeals to me. Enjoy!

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
That is a wild looking cue. I can't imagine the work that went into it. I have used the horn from Coues deer for joints and ferrules. It is very dense horn. Do you play this cue and if so how does it play?

rugerfan

Silver Member
All my cues get table time. It may be the strongest player in my collection. I had another of their cue with smaller sections of antler incorporated in the butt. That cue was made with snakewood and I now wish I had kept that one.

The design of my cue isn't for everyone. Some folks find it too busy for their tastes. See the section of antler near the butt? The brown section in the antler is recessed and acts as a index when I grip the cue. That also aids in getting the same deflection results when playing with this cue. Very cool!

She is a keeper, thats for sure!

Snookered007

Ticky Tricky
Silver Member
That is a great looking cue! I love how all the colors/materials blend together so good. You should post this in the cue gallery. Thanks for sharing.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
All my cues get table time. It may be the strongest player in my collection. I had another of their cue with smaller sections of antler incorporated in the butt. That cue was made with snakewood and I now wish I had kept that one.

The design of my cue isn't for everyone. Some folks find it too busy for their tastes. See the section of antler near the butt? The brown section in the antler is recessed and acts as a index when I grip the cue. That also aids in getting the same deflection results when playing with this cue. Very cool!

She is a keeper, thats for sure!

"Antler incorporated in the butt" :yikes:
Take it from someone who has had more then one run in with Elk........
... you don't want to be that guy.:embarrassed2:
I love the way it turns but hate the way it smells during turning. Brunswick used horn for ferrules back in the day on a lot of their label cues.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
here's one in progress
it's further along than shown in these pics
i'll get some new pics later today

edited: different pictures

elk6.jpg

elk5.jpg

elk3.jpg

elk2.jpg

elk1.jpg

014.jpg

BWMTCsBGkKGrHgoH-EYEjlLl2qfnBKWSQvO.jpg

another pic i found
second from bottom
note> that isnt a bumper , it's just a tempory center, cue will be bumperless with an indian head nickel in buttcap
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

006.jpg

Last edited:

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
There was a player in our leauge that had two cues. One had a elks antler for the butt. This was the whole antler. Don't know how he shot with it. There was also a turtle shell at the back end that had some beads in it. Everytime he made a ball he would dance around the table shaking the cue, like a Indian doing a war dance holding a spear. The other was made out of another antler and had some feathers dangling from it. Basically he just took the antler and attached a shaft to it.

rugerfan

Silver Member
That is one awesome cue Brent! Is locating antler that is suitable to use in a cue difficult? Seen any other cues built with horn/antler? I had another cue made with elk antler and ebony. I'll post pic's when I get a chance to dig them up.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
That is one awesome cue Brent! Is locating antler that is suitable to use in a cue difficult? Seen ant other cues built with horn/antler? I had another cue made with elk antler and ebony. I'll post pic's when I get a chance to dig them up.
thank you
this was my first try at getting an antler
i lucked out bigtime
since then, i got another,
but it was just too crooked to get a complete handle out of it

rugerfan

Silver Member
Here is the snakewood cue I now regret selling. The cue is made of snakewood, curley maple, babinga butt cap/rings/joint. It has two wedge shaped piece's of elk antler in the butt section. I have had several other cues with antler. I'll post em up when I get a chance. Enjoy!

DSC01034.jpg

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
Not exactly the horn your looking for but...Something to keep in mind when using antler it needs to be seasoned. I dont make cues but have made alot of knives with whitetail and elk antler. If its not seasoned enough(old) it will shrink a little...Just a little info to pass along for anyone looking to use antler for anything.

Attachments

• Picture 242.jpg
    Picture 242.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 183
  • Picture 246.jpg
    Picture 246.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 183
  • Picture 254.jpg
    Picture 254.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 184

Beware_of_Dawg

Silver Member
Those are great! I was always curious... I would love to get a cue made from a buck that I (have yet to) bag as a trophy... using the antlers as butt cap & joint, etc.. and the hide as the wrap... wondered how those thin antlers are fanricated into a buttcap or joint, they obviously aren't thick enough... How is that done?

Reugerfan, what part of WV do the Thompson hail from? My father lives there, its where I was born.

rugerfan

Silver Member
The Thompson's are in Ravenswood. I met Bob back when he was building traditional bows (another weakness of mine). Bob is building custom guitars also and has quite a following. Those guys have some awesome skills when it comes to woodworking.