Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Predator Z2 shaft or 314 2?

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Predator Z2 shaft or 314 2?
Old
  (#1)
Apollo
AzB Bronze Member
Apollo is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Lightbulb Predator Z2 shaft or 314 2? - 02-21-2010, 05:41 PM

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the differences in these shafts from personal experience. I know the Z2 shaft has a stronger taper and a shorter ferrule, but how do these differences effect playability. Replies are greatly appreciated.

Old
  (#2)
Black Cat 5791
You Wanta Do Sumthin???
Black Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Cat 5791 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via MSN to Black Cat 5791  
02-21-2010, 06:26 PM

Without making this a long and drawn out explanation, I would highly recommend that you try both shafts and make a decision on your own findings.

I personally can play with either, however I prefer the Z2 because it fit's my game style much better.

Black Cat

http://www.facebook.com/blackcatpooltournaments
APA Division League Rep.
APA S/L: 8 Ball 6, 9 Ball 6
Playing Cue: Predator Special Edition SE-3
Playing Shaft: Predator Z-2 w/ Ultraskin Soft
Back Up Shaft: Predator Z-2 w/ Ultraskin Soft
Break Cue: Predator BK2
Jump Cue: Predator Air
Case: Predator Sport Black & Yellow / Instroke Cowboy Tan Tooled Leather

Old
  (#3)
JimS
Grandpa & his grand boys.
JimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond reputeJimS has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4050
Location: Jim Sward 311 E. Main, Suite 317 Galesburg, Il 61401

02-21-2010, 06:29 PM

If you like a thin shaft the z2 is the answer. It's 12mm or less. The 314 is 13mm... I think. The Z2 tested to have less deflection.

"The average man seeks certainty in the eye of the onlooker and calls that self-confidence.
The warrior seeks impeccability in his own eye and calls that humbleness."
Carlos Castenada

"Make no distinction between the difficult and the less difficult shot but apply yourself completely to each opportunity to strike a pool ball". Mark Wilson

"No nonchalantin at the pool table!" Sailor

Live like somebody left the gate open!

Old
  (#4)
CreeDo
Captain Fishtastic
CreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond reputeCreeDo has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to CreeDo  
02-21-2010, 11:39 PM

I tried the thinner diameter only for a little while and didn't like it. Under 12 mm feels a little like smacking the ball with a crayon. I'm liking the fat shaft. But you might feel totally different, no substitute for putting the stick in your hands and hitting balls with it.

Old
  (#5)
poolplayer2093
AzB Silver Member
poolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond reputepoolplayer2093 has a reputation beyond repute

02-22-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
Hey, I was wondering if anyone could tell me some of the differences in these shafts from personal experience. I know the Z2 shaft has a stronger taper and a shorter ferrule, but how do these differences effect playability. Replies are greatly appreciated.
i've tried a z shaft before and imo it's a good shaft but the smaller tip might lead to unwanted english from not cueing exactly where you want to. it's still on my list of things to try out. these days i'm liking the close to 13mm shafts

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/ith/#by=sp

Advice God- "tho shall not kill! unless they are witches, gay, heathen, enemies,muslims,slaves,poor,adulterous,rebellious kids,blasphemers or smartasses"

Insanity Wolf-" Dress up like little girl, and rape pedo bear!!!!"

MahnaMahna, get at me in person.

Old
  (#6)
JustinHayes
I'll need an Orange Crush
JustinHayes has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHayes has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHayes has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHayes has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHayes has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHayes has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHayes has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHayes has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHayes has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHayes has a reputation beyond reputeJustinHayes has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1850

02-22-2010, 07:13 AM

Here's some info:

Z-2 shaft: 11.75 mm, Ferrule = 4/10"
314-2 shaft: 12.75 mm, Ferrule = 6/10"
314 Fat shaft: 13.2 mm, Ferrule = 6/10"

I have the z2 and the 314-2 ... I like the Z shaft a lot better and I believe I can be more percise on english with the smaller tip, but that's just me. I like them both

You also may want to consider the OB-1 and/or OB-2 shafts as well.

Cues:
Player: Greg Sirca tuxedo with OB-2
Break: Greg Sirca with OB-Break
Jump: Dr. Popper

Last edited by JustinHayes; 02-22-2010 at 10:57 AM.

Old
  (#7)
peteypooldude
I see Edges
peteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond repute

02-22-2010, 09:22 AM

I use a 314-2,but I also have a reg 314 and they both play great,the z shaft is a little too thin for me,but my preference is the 314-2

Predator shafts
Old
  (#8)
mr_griff
AzB Silver Member
mr_griff has a reputation beyond reputemr_griff has a reputation beyond reputemr_griff has a reputation beyond reputemr_griff has a reputation beyond reputemr_griff has a reputation beyond reputemr_griff has a reputation beyond reputemr_griff has a reputation beyond reputemr_griff has a reputation beyond reputemr_griff has a reputation beyond reputemr_griff has a reputation beyond reputemr_griff has a reputation beyond repute

Predator shafts - 02-22-2010, 02:38 PM

I second the notion that you need to put both in your hands before you would know whats best. The difference in a 11.25 tip with a euro taper, and a 12.75 with a pro taper is very dramatic if you ask me. I'd make sure you try a z before considering it. If you are used to a pro taper already, the 314 would probably be a safe bet if your not in a location where you have the luxury of testing them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: