Borana and Nes to play in the US Open 9 Ball Championships.

jimM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jim Murnak Cue Cases has Sponsored Borana Andoni and Nes Gurel in the US Open 9 Ball Championships in October. Borana and Nes were second and third behind Sarah Rousy to enter. Borana has done great things for Jim Murnak Cue Cases and Nes should do well for us also. This will be a great experience for both Borana and Nes and I know we all wish them well.

Thanks,
Jim Murnak
Jim Murnak Cue Cases

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
WTG. I hope 50 women come out to play in it. Would love to see list of the paid entries updated weekly or bi-weekly for the US Open. Johnnyt

jimM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nes video interview

If some of you don't know who Nes Gurel is, I just put up a video interview of her on go4pool.net. She is going to be in Vegas this month so you will have a chance to meet her.

Thanks,
Jim

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
If some of you don't know who Nes Gurel is, I just put up a video interview of her on go4pool.net. She is going to be in Vegas this month so you will have a chance to meet her.

Thanks,
Jim

Thanks Jim. Johnnyt

DRW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice gesture

Mighty nice of you to do this for the ladies.:smile:

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe either one of them would like to play a set for $500 before the tournament? I'll take the eight.

mrmagoo42

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jim

great interview with Nes. Maybe her introduction to the game will serve as a source of focus that will lead to much success. She has good insight for her age.

Last edited:

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice to see you back after your "vacation." Having a job is a b-tch, isn't it? ;)

Job is still there. I just had "an itch." Borana can definitely make the itch go away. Maybe I would just take the break? Oh, alright. Break and the eight. Or even? I get all this stuff so confused.

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Job is still there. I just had "an itch." Borana can definitely make the itch go away. Maybe I would just take the break? Oh, alright. Break and the eight. Or even? I get all this stuff so confused.

If she'll play even I'd like to bet something also.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I've got a better idea Crawdaddy. Come on up and play in the Open yourself. You can show those girls a thing or two! :thumbup2:

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've got a better idea Crawdaddy. Come on up and play in the Open yourself. You can show those girls a thing or two! :thumbup2:

Sorry, can't stay concentrated for more than three sets. Or sober. Just not a tourney guy, you might say. Not cut out for it. I'll be the "slither into the back room and pay for my trip guy."

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member

Somes like some hustlin going on here! Need three forms of photo identification.

Well, here is one..
mclovin.jpg

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Sorry, can't stay concentrated for more than three sets. Or sober. Just not a tourney guy, you might say. Not cut out for it. I'll be the "slither into the back room and pay for my trip guy."

I'm with you, I couldn't hold up for the whole tournament, but a race or two works for me. I don't know either of these ladies and i've only seen pictures of Borana, but if she plays as good as she looks I'm looking forward to seeing her in the Open. I never miss it..........

James

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
This is a dream come true for Borana

Hats off to you Jim for ponying up and getting these ladies a wonderful opportunity and perhaps the best tournament experience possible!

Sorry for this long read, but I must harken to my dream last night...
Fade to fuzzy, romantic dream filter lens:

Borana, as she's bouncing our 6 year old grandchild on her lap:

"Why my little Earl, way back when, in 2010 I played in THE US Open. My first match was a tough match against this grand, eccentric champion that was wearing a bee keepers outfit. He got out quick on me in a race to 9, he was up 6 to zip. The guy couldn't miss. I was feeling low. But on rack 7 he broke dry. He left me hooked and I was about to push out. But then from the stands this incredibly handsome man yelled, "If you jump, he will grump!".

I met this spectator's steely glaze, and something told me this was a sign. I pulled my jump cue out of my beautiful Jim Murnak 12x24 and went for it. And golly jeepers if I didn't make the best jump masse kick bank combo on the 9! The crowd went crazy! It was deafening!

And then there was a sudden hush as a loud guttural voice yelled "jump cues are for girls!!! They should be outlawed!!!" My opponent had removed his headgear and his face was beat red. He began flapping his arms like a beagle's ears in a hurricane. He was having a meltdown of epic proportions. This caught the ref's attention. Thank goodness Jay Helfert came a runnin'.

He got my opponent calmed down after a long tense discussion and threats of no TV for a week. I looked over into the stands and winked at that handsome man. And then... I lipped to him "thank you handsome man, I think I love you."

After play resumed, I couldn't miss, and my opponent couldn't pot. I heard him mumbling something like "where's my damn assweights, I need my damn assweights! Did Helfert confiscate my damn assweights again?"

I beat him like a drum and gained so much confidence I rolled through my next 10 opponents and became the 1st ever women US Open Champion!

After beating Mika 11-0 in the finals, that night at Q Masters, I met that handsome man from earlier. I saw him spotting SVB the orange crush and last 4. He tortured that poor kid for 20 grand. "My goodness that man can move" I said to myself. "I must throw myself at him."

And that's how I met your grandfather, KoolKat9Lies.

Fade back to reality. I awoke in a puddle of drool on my pillow. :cool:

Last edited:

CrisDeLaGarza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's great that you are supporting these girls, Jim! I know they very much appreciate all that you do for them. I saw Nes play last year and she is a class act, as is Borana. Nes is quickly making a name for herself. Good Luck to both of you ladies! See you next week :)