My First Pool Hall

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone recently mentioned their childhood pool room and it got me thinking of where I first started playing, what now seems like a million years ago.

(insert flashback music)

My first pool room was The Billiard Palacade, near the corner of Mission and Geneva, in San Francisco. I probably spent two or three of my formative years there, sort of like a recently spawned baby salmon who stays in the tidal pools, before attempting the run upstream. I was probably fresh out of 8th grade.

It was a great room.

You’d walk in and there was a snooker table off to the right in the front window, where “the big boys” played pink ball. The counter was to the left. Perhaps a dozen or more Gold Crowns. The room had huge vaulted ceilings, a reminder of the vaudeville theatre it once was in a past life.

I remember a blonde woman who ran the place, who helped me procure my second cue. An Adams if I recall. My first cue was a carefully considered investment I made one day after another of my runs through the sports department of The Emporium, a glorious downtown department store on Market Street, right across from the cable car turn platform. The store was a throwback to San Francisco’s post earthquake glory days, with its huge glass dome, and was the place my family purchased a good many of our necessities over the years.

The Cue that became the object of my lust was displayed in a glass case there. The first time I saw it I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. And, with every passing visit, my desire grew and grew until it could not be denied. Somehow I scrimped and saved the $29.00 ransom the store wanted for the cue -- with its own faux leather luggage-style case, with red flocked interior (of course), and which showed off the cue to best advantage -- and sealed the deal one memorable weekend.

The Cue was a transcendent thing of beauty: polished brass joint; rich polyurethaned walnut forearm; red and black specked nylon wrap (genuine); and a butt plate of iridescent multicolored rings. I thought my Mom and Dad were going to kill me when they found out I had squandered most of my meager funds on “a pool cue?!” and I did suffer some withering words, offered in fatherly counsel, about “wasting” my money. But I did not care. It was worth it all.

I remember frequently locking myself in my room and lovingly wiping down the forearm of The Cue, using several paper towels and much of my Mom’s can of Pledge. To this day, like catching the wafting scent of a perfume favored by an old flame, a whiff of lemon-scented Pledge still reminds me of that cue and our first summer together. After a few months I came to realize that the black luggage-style case (with red flocked interior) made my look of aspiring hustler somewhat less than credible and I switched over to a soft plain black zippered case.

And so, cue in case in hand, I would make the 20 minute walk from my home on Winding Way to the pool room. There, at The Billiard Palacade, somehow I automatically fit in, immediately accepted into the fraternal order of pool players that populated the joint. I used to favor a table off on the right side of the room, perhaps three or four tables in. To this day I can still recall the pure, almost orgasmic joy I felt when I ran my first full rack of 15 balls off that table.

The two best players in the room were a guy called “Big Bob” and who looked like Robert Goulet dressed as a lumber jack, and Jim, mustached, long brown hair parted in the middle, and who favored leather jackets. There was also a whole cast of other supporting players, like the two black brothers, (no, really, they were related) Sammy and Fred, who took to calling me “Mr. Serious” (a nick name which can still elicit a chuckle from those that currently know me). Eventually I’d get to a level of play at which I could beat Sam, but not Fred, who was a straight shootin’ sum gun.

I can’t remember exactly how it came about, but there was an older Italian gentleman at The Billiard Palacade who befriended me and we began playing 25 point games of straight pool together. His name was Guido and he was built like one of those basketed Chianti bottles, wore black-rimmed glasses, and sported a shock of pure white hair and a matching mustache. Over the course of the two or so years we played, I improved, and improved, and improved a little more until I was beating Guido 25-2, 25-3, 25-0. And somehow, he seemed to take some sort of crazy pride in it all and never said an unkind, or mean-spirited word, while my younger insensitive self poured repeated beatings on him.

Eventually, after I got my first car, I became an adoptee of Town and Country Billiards, in Daly City, a few miles up the road on Mission Street. But I still fondly remember my first pool room.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Someone recently mentioned their childhood pool room and it got me thinking of where I first started playing, what now seems like a million years ago.

(insert flashback music)

My first pool room was The Billiard Palacade, near the corner of Mission and Geneva, in San Francisco. I probably spent two or three of my formative years there, sort of like a recently spawned baby salmon who stays in the tidal pools, before attempting the run upstream. I was probably fresh out of 8th grade.

It was a great room.

You’d walk in and there was a snooker table off to the right in the front window, where “the big boys” played pink ball. The counter was to the left. Perhaps a dozen or more Gold Crowns. The room had huge vaulted ceilings, a reminder of the vaudeville theatre it once was in a past life.

I remember a blonde woman who ran the place, who helped me procure my second cue. An Adams if I recall. My first cue was a carefully considered investment I made one day after another of my runs through the sports department of The Emporium, a glorious downtown department store on Market Street, right across from the cable car turn platform. The store was a throwback to San Francisco’s post earthquake glory days, with its huge glass dome, and was the place my family purchased a good many of our necessities over the years.

The Cue that became the object of my lust was displayed in a glass case there. The first time I saw it I couldn’t take my eyes off of it. And, with every passing visit, my desire grew and grew until it could not be denied. Somehow I scrimped and saved the $29.00 ransom the store wanted for the cue -- with its own faux leather luggage-style case, with red flocked interior (of course), and which showed off the cue to best advantage -- and sealed the deal one memorable weekend.

The Cue was a transcendent thing of beauty: polished brass joint; rich polyurethaned walnut forearm; red and black specked nylon wrap (genuine); and a butt plate of iridescent multicolored rings. I thought my Mom and Dad were going to kill me when they found out I had squandered most of my meager funds on “a pool cue?!” and I did suffer some withering words, offered in fatherly counsel, about “wasting” my money. But I did not care. It was worth it all.

I remember frequently locking myself in my room and lovingly wiping down the forearm of The Cue, using several paper towels and much of my Mom’s can of Pledge. To this day, like catching the wafting scent of a perfume favored by an old flame, a whiff of lemon-scented Pledge still reminds me of that cue and our first summer together. After a few months I came to realize that the black luggage-style case (with red flocked interior) made my look of aspiring hustler somewhat less than credible and I switched over to a soft plain black zippered case.

And so, cue in case in hand, I would make the 20 minute walk from my home on Winding Way to the pool room. There, at The Billiard Palacade, somehow I automatically fit in, immediately accepted into the fraternal order of pool players that populated the joint. I used to favor a table off on the right side of the room, perhaps three or four tables in. To this day I can still recall the pure, almost orgasmic joy I felt when I ran my first full rack of 15 balls off that table.

The two best players in the room were a guy called “Big Bob” and who looked like Robert Goulet dressed as a lumber jack, and Jim, mustached, long brown hair parted in the middle, and who favored leather jackets. There was also a whole cast of other supporting players, like the two black brothers, (no, really, they were related) Sammy and Fred, who took to calling me “Mr. Serious” (a nick name which can still elicit a chuckle from those that currently know me). Eventually I’d get to a level of play at which I could beat Sam, but not Fred, who was a straight shootin’ sum gun.

I can’t remember exactly how it came about, but there was an older Italian gentleman at The Billiard Palacade who befriended me and we began playing 25 point games of straight pool together. His name was Guido and he was built like one of those basketed Chianti bottles, wore black-rimmed glasses, and sported a shock of pure white hair and a matching mustache. Over the course of the two or so years we played, I improved, and improved, and improved a little more until I was beating Guido 25-2, 25-3, 25-0. And somehow, he seemed to take some crazy sort of pride in it all and never said an unkind, or mean-spirited word, while my younger insensitive self poured repeated beatings on him.

Eventually, after I got my first car, I became an adoptee of Town and Country Billiards, in Daly City, a few miles up the road on Mission Street. But I still fondly remember my first pool room.

Lou Figueroa

Always good to read your stories, Luigi.

Still waiting for the book.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
If you shoot pool as well as you write, then you be one "straight shootin' sum gun" yourself.

Great story! :thumbup:

Roger

thebaby

Jack of all trades
Silver Member
the baby also remembers

I happened to be looking on here and noticed your story,well guess what. thats where i started also.back in the 70's.i remember the blond lady also and her husband,dont ask me there names 40 years ago,no chance.when i first got the bug was right there in that same room,i was to small to reach the table so they would put me on a milk crate ansd let shoot a few balls i was hooked then.i might know you lou.i remember fred and his brother sam good friends of mine back then .do you remember rico sanchez,some guy they called red,a black guy with a big red afro and whistled all the time while playin.i remember town and country to,thats where dee usedto work and play.my game progressed alot over the next 5 years.then it was on to the palace on market street,where i met 9 ball paul .i would go there andplay the pin ball machines in the morning instead of goin to school .i would win a few dollars on the machine so then i would have enough to play pool for a while.paul would take me under his wing,and we would make a ton of money there cuz he new all the suckers and would put me on them.i have alot of stories from those days.i remember goin up to town and country and playin rico sanchez he was working there at the time.he would lock the doors at night and we would play till the morning hours.he used to empty out the register to play me.anyway lou i wonder if i know you,while playin out of the palace they gave me a nick name of {the baby}.i would love to here some more of your stories from your days playin out of the palacade on geneva and mission.where are you now? I now live in sacramento ,ca. I'll be 53 this year .have a beautiful 3 year old girl.i guess you can tell i'm not a typist.by the way that snooker table was a 5 by 10 if i remember right.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great Story!

Lou Figueroa

Lou,

A great story. I especially liked the part about the wondrous cue. I well remember working and saving for months to buy something and then feeling like I had a treasure in my hands after dreaming about the purchase all of that time. Far nicer things that are more easily came by mean far less.

You do have a real talent for writing. Everybody is supposed to have one book in them, maybe you should work at getting it on paper.

Hu

tom mcgonagle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,

Once again you have put into words what every pool player holds near and dear to their hearts.

My first pool room was at the opposite end of the country. It was located in the city of Everett, Massachusetts. A small city that bordered Boston to the north.

It was one of four pool rooms in the city and it housed the most tables. Ten pool tables and one 41/2 by 9 billiard table.

The room consisted of three rows of three tables and at the end near the front desk was the, MONEY TABLE, next to the billiard table.

There was a progression in the room. You started out in the back of the room and worked your way forward. Of course the money table was the main attraction in the room. It was an open table. Ring games of CRAZY EIGHT were always going on.

Crazy Eight was a rotation game using only eight balls. The three, five and eight balls were the money balls. Usually a quarter was the price tag on each money ball. It was double if you broke and ran the rack. Money balls made out of rotation were brought back on the table and spotted on the center diamond below the racking end of the table.

Razz, the owner, ran a tight ship. Any nonsense, in the room, wasn't tolerated. Many of my friends were often barred from the room.

Women weren't allowed in the room.

We had a saying in the room. "Pool room burns down thousands left homeless." In the summer of 1969 our greatest fears came true. The room burnt down. It was a tragic day in my life. I'll never forget it.

I got my first cue in a different fashion than you did. I beat someone out of money and they couldn't pay me. I took their cue instead of the money. I was 21 years old before I had a cue to call my own. Before that a house cue pulled out of the rack and sanded lightly was all I needed to take home the cheese.

Thanks again Lou. I always look forward to reading your thoughts.

Medalist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My room was in Kingston, Pa. Guys and Dolls Billiards. I was 12 and it was bran new with 12 GC1's I presume since it was 1965. All had gold cloth. I bought a cue from the owner with a wrap on it which I still have today. The butt at least. He kept our cues in tubes behind him at the counter. When you would walk in he would hand it to you and call you by name. There was a soda and candy machine. Also they had an El Toro pinball machine we played for hours. We had a mascot named Champ. He was an old bum type guy that looked like Jed Clampet with the same hat. Man he could shoot with the best of them. We mainly played straight pool for table time and a buck or two. Time was a buck an hour per person. The pockets were full size also. When we played 9 ball it was for .50 on the 9 and .25 on the five. I have no shoot em up stories to tell just wholesome fun for years after school and some weekends.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I happened to be looking on here and noticed your story,well guess what. thats where i started also.back in the 70's.i remember the blond lady also and her husband,dont ask me there names 40 years ago,no chance.when i first got the bug was right there in that same room,i was to small to reach the table so they would put me on a milk crate ansd let shoot a few balls i was hooked then.i might know you lou.i remember fred and his brother sam good friends of mine back then .do you remember rico sanchez,some guy they called red,a black guy with a big red afro and whistled all the time while playin.i remember town and country to,thats where dee usedto work and play.my game progressed alot over the next 5 years.then it was on to the palace on market street,where i met 9 ball paul .i would go there andplay the pin ball machines in the morning instead of goin to school .i would win a few dollars on the machine so then i would have enough to play pool for a while.paul would take me under his wing,and we would make a ton of money there cuz he new all the suckers and would put me on them.i have alot of stories from those days.i remember goin up to town and country and playin rico sanchez he was working there at the time.he would lock the doors at night and we would play till the morning hours.he used to empty out the register to play me.anyway lou i wonder if i know you,while playin out of the palace they gave me a nick name of {the baby}.i would love to here some more of your stories from your days playin out of the palacade on geneva and mission.where are you now? I now live in sacramento ,ca. I'll be 53 this year .have a beautiful 3 year old girl.i guess you can tell i'm not a typist.by the way that snooker table was a 5 by 10 if i remember right.

Hi, Baby. Well, to be honest, I don't recall you, but then you're four years behind me in age... do you have a photo handy, that might jog something loose?

And yes, of course I knew Rico, and his girlfriend, Val, Dee Hulse and all the rest of the crew up at T&C in the early to mid 70's. I think you're right about the snooker table being a 5x10. I'm now is St. Louis, though I did spend a couple of years in Sacramento, 81-83, playing at Terry's Jointed Cue with Ted Ito, Gene Starry, Scott Kito and the rest. I'd also go over to Gene Aloha's place, I think The Golden Cue.

I write these things sporadically, usually over a morning espresso or two, when the mood hits. Rico would be worth a story all by himself...

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,

A great story. I especially liked the part about the wondrous cue. I well remember working and saving for months to buy something and then feeling like I had a treasure in my hands after dreaming about the purchase all of that time. Far nicer things that are more easily came by mean far less.

You do have a real talent for writing. Everybody is supposed to have one book in them, maybe you should work at getting it on paper.

Hu

Thanks, Hu.

Funny how something like a first cue sticks (haha) with you.

As Joey alluded, I have a book semi-in-the-works. But it's a slow slog. I keep telling my wife I'll get to it when I need a hip or knee replacement someday and am laid up and idle. She says that some days she feels like she'd be happy to pick up a baseball bat and speed that along for me :)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,

Once again you have put into words what every pool player holds near and dear to their hearts.

My first pool room was at the opposite end of the country. It was located in the city of Everett, Massachusetts. A small city that bordered Boston to the north.

It was one of four pool rooms in the city and it housed the most tables. Ten pool tables and one 41/2 by 9 billiard table.

The room consisted of three rows of three tables and at the end near the front desk was the, MONEY TABLE, next to the billiard table.

There was a progression in the room. You started out in the back of the room and worked your way forward. Of course the money table was the main attraction in the room. It was an open table. Ring games of CRAZY EIGHT were always going on.

Crazy Eight was a rotation game using only eight balls. The three, five and eight balls were the money balls. Usually a quarter was the price tag on each money ball. It was double if you broke and ran the rack. Money balls made out of rotation were brought back on the table and spotted on the center diamond below the racking end of the table.

Razz, the owner, ran a tight ship. Any nonsense, in the room, wasn't tolerated. Many of my friends were often barred from the room.

Women weren't allowed in the room.

We had a saying in the room. "Pool room burns down thousands left homeless." In the summer of 1969 our greatest fears came true. The room burnt down. It was a tragic day in my life. I'll never forget it.

I got my first cue in a different fashion than you did. I beat someone out of money and they couldn't pay me. I took their cue instead of the money. I was 21 years old before I had a cue to call my own. Before that a house cue pulled out of the rack and sanded lightly was all I needed to take home the cheese.

Thanks again Lou. I always look forward to reading your thoughts.

Thanks, Tom. It sounds like you had a great room first room.

You know, unlike you, I've never beaten someone out of a cue stick. Although, a few months back a guy owed me $40 he didn't have at the end of a session. He offered me his stick as collateral until he could come back the next day to pay me. I turned him down and told him to keep the stick, thinking that that sign of respect would encourage him to return and pay the next day...

Haven't seen him in 8 months :)

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My room was in Kingston, Pa. Guys and Dolls Billiards. I was 12 and it was bran new with 12 GC1's I presume since it was 1965. All had gold cloth. I bought a cue from the owner with a wrap on it which I still have today. The butt at least. He kept our cues in tubes behind him at the counter. When you would walk in he would hand it to you and call you by name. There was a soda and candy machine. Also they had an El Toro pinball machine we played for hours. We had a mascot named Champ. He was an old bum type guy that looked like Jed Clampet with the same hat. Man he could shoot with the best of them. We mainly played straight pool for table time and a buck or two. Time was a buck an hour per person. The pockets were full size also. When we played 9 ball it was for .50 on the 9 and .25 on the five. I have no shoot em up stories to tell just wholesome fun for years after school and some weekends.

Another great trip down memory lane. Thanks for sharing, Medalist.

Lou Figueroa