Review - Tony Sauer Custom Cue

IntoTheRail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recently had the good pleasure of buying a cue from Tony Sauer of Kentucky. To be honest it really could not have been a more pleasant transaction. Tony is a genuinely nice guy and wants you to have a cue that you are going to love. High quality woods and excellent craftsmanship at a very reasonable price is hard to come by these days but Tony comes through in spades.

Cue Specs

Shaft - 12.6mm but feels a little thicker. Has an almost conical taper to it much like some Gilbert shafts I have seen. Adds a little stiffness to the hit.
Ferrule - Ivory
Tip - Hercules 2 - Med
Forearm - Highly figured Cocobola with 6 curly maple points, 3 high and 3 low.
Wrap section - very nicely figured Birdseye Maple.
Butt sleeve - Cocobola
Butt Cap - Ivory
Joint - Ivory with a 3/8-10 stainless pin
Weight - 19.5oz

Overall the cue has a somewhat soft hit to it, the Ivory ferrule combined with an H2 tip (which plays soft) and a backer pad combine for a very responsive cue. It lets you know how pure you are hitting the cue ball. I might try out a bit harder tip on in the future but i like the action I get with the current setup.

Balance of the cue feels great. It slides effortlessly in my hands and is very accurate from a jacked up position, something I was pleasantly surprised by. I was firing in shots off the rail and getting good action on the cue ball.

If you have a chance to get one of Tony's cues you might want to do it before he turns into a superstar. Thanks!

Attachments

• ts1.jpg
    ts1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,948
  • ts2.jpg
    ts2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,482
  • ts3.jpg
    ts3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,424
  • ts4.jpg
    ts4.jpg