Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Interesting picture, who was Johnny Irish?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Interesting picture, who was Johnny Irish?
Old
  (#1)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Interesting picture, who was Johnny Irish? - 08-04-2010, 04:46 PM

http://www.onepocket.org/JanscoHOF.htm

First of all, interesting picture. On the scoreboard we have Fats, Larry Johnson (Boston Shorty), Hubert Cokes, Cowboy Jimmy Moore, Eddy Taylor among others. A name I'm not familiar with, if I am reading it correctly, is Johnny Irish. It sounds like a made up name but everybody else is using their given name. Who is or was he?

Also, I see that George Jansco died at the relatively young age of 52. What did he die from?

Thanks,
Al

Johhny Irish
Old
  (#2)
book collector
AzB Silver Member
book collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond reputebook collector has a reputation beyond repute

Johhny Irish - 08-04-2010, 04:56 PM

Johnny Irish's real last name was Lineen.
George Jansco died of a heart attack I believe, my information says he was 56?

Last edited by book collector; 08-04-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: forgot to answer part of question

Old
  (#3)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstl View Post
http://www.onepocket.org/JanscoHOF.htm

First of all, interesting picture. On the scoreboard we have Fats, Larry Johnson (Boston Shorty), Hubert Cokes, Cowboy Jimmy Moore, Eddy Taylor among others. A name I'm not familiar with, if I am reading it correctly, is Johnny Irish. It sounds like a made up name but everybody else is using their given name. Who is or was he?

Also, I see that George Jansco died at the relatively young age of 52. What did he die from?

Thanks,
Al
According to his peers, only one of the best players to ever live. Some considered him second only to Greenleaf.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order Pool Wars

Old
  (#4)
cardiac kid
Super Senior Member
cardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond reputecardiac kid has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700
  Send a message via Yahoo to cardiac kid  
08-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Al,

Learned something new today. Always thought Billy's name was Staton not Spaton. An old dog can learn new tricks. Shame on me!

Lyn

Old
  (#5)
Terry Ardeno
I still love my wife
Terry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond repute

08-04-2010, 08:02 PM

John Thomas "Johnny Irish" Lineen was born on May 23. 1914 in Brooklyn, NY. He started playing pool at the age of 13. He was a very quiet, unassuming man. He got to be so good a player that the newspapers started calling him "The next Ralph Greenleaf."

Serving in the U.S. Army during WW2 and some health problems helped contribute to the fact the he never won a world's championship. He did win several other 14.1 titles, including the N.Y. State Championships. Lineen gave numerous exhibitions and was employed for a time as one of Coca Cola's "Masked Marvels".

He died on March 17, 1956.

***ATTENTION*** Mr Fred "The Beard" Bentivegna astutley caught that Mr Lineen's date of death is inaccurate. Instead of 1956, it should read 1965. Kudos to him for paying attention to detail!

Terry Loop-Lock, PHD (Pool Hall Degree)

The highest paid people in our country should be the U.S.Navy SEAL's, U.S. Army Delta Force operators, Rangers & Special Forces, USMC personnel & every other soildier, sailor or airman who goes overseas, away from family & home and fights in combat.
Please pray for these warriors & their families.

(1 John 5:11-13)

Last edited by Terry Ardeno; 08-05-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Old
  (#6)
Bobby
AzB Silver Member
Bobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2010, 12:26 AM

Johnny "Irish" Lineen was considered one of the best ever 14.1 players. Johnny Ervolino told me many stories about him: He usually used a house cue, ands would sleep in a chair in the back of the 7/11 poolroom. A road player would come in looking for action, they would go and wake Irish up and he'd often run 100 and out cold, then go back to sleep.

He would often play the great James Evans 75 or no count on a 5 x 10 with very tough pockets.

Ervolino rated only Greenleaf, Evans and Mosconi as better 14.1 players than Lineen...just slightly.

Last edited by Bobby; 08-05-2010 at 12:28 AM.

Check the date Terry
Old
  (#7)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

Check the date Terry - 08-05-2010, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ardeno View Post
John Thomas "Johnny Irish" Lineen was born on May 23. 1914 in Brooklyn, NY. He started playing pool at the age of 13. He was a very quiet, unassuming man. He got to be so good a player that the newspapers started calling him "The next Ralph Greenleaf."

Serving in the U.S. Army during WW2 and some health problems helped contribute to the fact the he never won a world's championship. He did win several other 14.1 titles, including the N.Y. State Championships. Lineen gave numerous exhibitions and was employed for a time as one of Coca Cola's "Masked Marvels".

He died on March 17, 1956.
Terry, Irish died much later than that. Is that a typo? He played in the first Johnston City Tourn. That was held in Oct 1961!

Beard

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Who knows? Da' Beard knows!
Old
  (#8)
Terry Ardeno
I still love my wife
Terry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond reputeTerry Ardeno has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows? Da' Beard knows! - 08-05-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard View Post
Terry, Irish died much later than that. Is that a typo? He played in the first Johnston City Tourn. That was held in Oct 1961!

Beard
Freddy,
Once again, you're right! It was supposed to read March 17, 1965. I switched the 5 and 6 around, which is proof at how hard I struggled in math during high school.

Good eyes, good, sharp, accurate mind you still have!

*Maybe you can use this as ammo over at 1P.org about how good YOUR memory still is!

The highest paid people in our country should be the U.S.Navy SEAL's, U.S. Army Delta Force operators, Rangers & Special Forces, USMC personnel & every other soildier, sailor or airman who goes overseas, away from family & home and fights in combat.

Old
  (#9)
Nostroke
TooCoolForTheRoom
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 9275
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
08-05-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiac kid View Post
Al,

Learned something new today. Always thought Billy's name was Staton not Spaton. An old dog can learn new tricks. Shame on me!

Lyn
Ive seen 'staton' a zillion times and 'Spaton' only once- Im going with 'Staton'. still i guess it's possible that Beenie changed it to avoid the "Spat On" jokes.

I also see 'Coakes' and not 'Cokes' . I've never seen Hubert referred to as anything but 'Cokes' so maybe these guys just were not great spellers.

Last edited by Nostroke; 08-05-2010 at 06:43 AM.

Old
  (#10)
KoolKat9Lives
Taught 'em all I know
KoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond reputeKoolKat9Lives has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300

08-05-2010, 06:33 AM

Just thought I'd hotlink these pic's for grins.

Old
  (#11)
Terry Ardeno
I still love my wife

08-05-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat9Lives View Post
Just thought I'd hotlink these pic's for grins.

KK9L,
Nice pics of George & Paulie Jansco w/ a young and dapper Ronnie Allen!

Even though their score board says Spaton, his last name was Staton. Them guys spell like I do numbers!

Old
  (#12)
Big Bad Bern
AzB Silver Member
Big Bad Bern has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bad Bern has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bad Bern has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bad Bern has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bad Bern has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bad Bern has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bad Bern has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bad Bern has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bad Bern has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bad Bern has a reputation beyond reputeBig Bad Bern has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2010, 08:40 AM

I am always interested in info about the older players, does anybody know what Johnny Irish's stroke was like? Was it long and smooth like Mosconi's or was it short like Ervalino's?

Bern

Old
  (#13)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard View Post

Beard
I played Johnny Irish at the 7/11 in 1964. I had no idea who he was. Did seem like they picked him up off a chair to come play me, some $5 9-Ball. His stroke was a lot like Ervolino's, I'm guessing Johnny E. learned from him. The best of my recollection Irish (that's what they called him) had a little side saddle to his stroke. He was just a mousey little man who didn't say much. Just got up, played, collected the money and went back to his chair. No conversation, no fanfare. He seemed almost disinterested in playing.

By the way, that billboard from Johnston City is from the first year. Paulie put that up there and he didn't know how to spell many players names. These were not household names. I remember Amarillo Slim Preston was listed as T.J. Preston the first year I was there (1963). It should have been T.A. Preston. I still call him T.J. to this day when I see him. He doesn't seem to mind either, and has never corrected me. He knows where that came from.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order Pool Wars

Old
  (#14)
Terry Ardeno
I still love my wife

08-05-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bad Bern View Post
I am always interested in info about the older players, does anybody know what Johnny Irish's stroke was like? Was it long and smooth like Mosconi's or was it short like Ervalino's?

Bern
I never seen him play. He died when I was 6. However, Marshall "Squirrrel" Carpenter said that "Johnny Irish had the prettiest stroke in pool."

Old
  (#15)
alstl
AzB Silver Member
alstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond reputealstl has a reputation beyond repute

08-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ardeno View Post
KK9L,
Nice pics of George & Paulie Jansco w/ a young and dapper Ronnie Allen!

Even though their score board says Spaton, his last name was Staton. Them guys spell like I do numbers!
Thanks for posting those pictures. I wanted to but I'm not enough of a computer guy to do it. I doubt that you will see Fats name on many tournament pictures like that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: