willie and fats????

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Yes....Mosconi played Fats and also Mosconi and Miz took on Fats and Hopkins on ABC.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
there's a video on google videos that has a challenge match between the two, it was televised even. i think it was from the show 'Wide World of Sports'. interesting match and watching, er listening, to Fats was pretty entertaining. i'll see if i can find the link again... but chances are someone else will post it before i get back.

eta: found this link with the video i was talking about

http://pool.bz/variety-pool-videos/1070-grudge-match-willie-mosconi-vs-minnesota-fats.html

Last edited:

MisterBanker

Appalachain American
Silver Member
If you've got ESPN classic, they show reruns of "Classic Billiards". Willie vs. Fats is one of the matches.

rons819

Registered
Yep, they did meet for a challenge match on The Wide World of Sports on February 14, 1978. R.A. Dyer covers it in detail in his book The Hustler and the Champ: Willie Mosconi, Minnesota Fats, and the Rivalry that Defined Pool.

You can get more information on the book here:
http://www.poolhistory.com/books/hustler_champ.html

BTW, it's a great read and a heckofa story!:smile:

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
there's a video on google videos that has a challenge match between the two, it was televised even. i think it was from the show 'Wide World of Sports'. interesting match and watching, er listening, to Fats was pretty entertaining. i'll see if i can find the link again... but chances are someone else will post it before i get back.

eta: found this link with the video i was talking about

http://pool.bz/variety-pool-videos/1070-grudge-match-willie-mosconi-vs-minnesota-fats.html

Yup ABC's "Wide World of Sports". The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. IIRC Fats felt the agony. lol

Last edited:

spankylee

Registered
thanks guys i play straight and theres a loud mouth 9 baller at the pool room whos been swearing they never played. so just to stay in his head ive been saying they did and that just steams him for some reason. he feels like he and willie are real pool players and fats and i are just hustlers! haah! either way i cant get him to play so this may help. have fun and watch your wad

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Yes they played several times. Fats always lost when they played in tournaments and challenge matches playing straight pool. He often tried to goad Willie into gambling at

one pocket and Willie kept refusing. On one occasion Fats had a backer convinced Willie could not beat him playing one pocket. The backer gave Fats 2 grand to go to Philly

and try to shame him into playing in his home poolroom. He finally got Willie backed into a corner, so to speak, and they agreed to play $500 a game one pocket. After 4

games, Fat's was on the phone to his backer, asking him to wire him more money. He said to his backer " He doesn't shit about one pocket. He doesn't know the moves at

all! All he does is run eight and out!" :grin:

I've always said "eight and out" is the strongest "move" in one pocket!

cut shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie could beat Fats on his worst day from what I have read. I do not think Fats beat him one time.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes they played several times. Fats always lost when they played in tournaments and challenge matches playing straight pool. He often tried to goad Willie into gambling at

one pocket and Willie kept refusing. On one occasion Fats had a backer convinced Willie could not beat him playing one pocket. The backer gave Fats 2 grand to go to Philly

and try to shame him into playing in his home poolroom. He finally got Willie backed into a corner, so to speak, and they agreed to play $500 a game one pocket. After 4

games, Fat's was on the phone to his backer, asking him to wire him more money. He said to his backer " He doesn't shit about one pocket. He doesn't know the moves at

This story is told in one of Eddie Robin's One Pocket Books, I forget which and don't feel like going to look. I think this is the best story about Fats and Willie playing.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes they played several times and Willie beat Fats every time at all games except in 7 Ball which Fats won.

johnqbs

john@qbs
Silver Member
thanks for the link

just watched the old players that was real entertainment .
would like to have all those cues. johnqbs, anderson sc

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
Needs more info

You need to add some important info re that match, Sherm. People are confusing the exhibition matches Willie and Fats played on TV, with when they actually competed in Philly for real money. The Philly match took place when they were both in their prime, the 40s or early 50s.
Willie also got goaded into playing 1pkt with Don DeCoy in Philly and robbed him too. However, my mentor, Gene Skinner bar b qued Willie playing 1pkt in the 40s. Those are the only 3 incidents I know of with Willie gambling big at 1pkt.

Beard

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
My impression of Fats was that he actually didn't play very well at all (if he did, I never saw it) but he had one helluva mouth.

spankylee

Registered
You need to add some important info re that match, Sherm. People are confusing the exhibition matches Willie and Fats played on TV, with when they actually competed in Philly for real money. The Philly match took place when they were both in their prime, the 40s or early 50s.
Willie also got goaded into playing 1pkt with Don DeCoy in Philly and robbed him too. However, my mentor, Gene Skinner bar b qued Willie playing 1pkt in the 40s. Those are the only 3 incidents I know of with Willie gambling big at 1pkt.

Beard

holy crap the beard himself!!!!!! ive got banks that dont go but do. ill be learning from those vids for years to come. a couple of the more unusual topics you cover are already a regular part of my arsenal. just like you said it leaves real players wonder ing what just happened! i cant say just how cool it is to say hello. no i dont want a autograph! but you can have mine if you want. haah! if you find yourself in richmond va rest assured ill be there.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My impression of Fats was that he actually didn't play very well at all (if he did, I never saw it) but he had one helluva mouth.

Your impression is dead wrong - in his prime Fats was one of the top
handfull of one pocket players in the country - he also banked at a very high level.

If you do a search, both Jay and Freddy have posted about Fats'
"true speed".

Dale

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Maybe, but I watched some of his matches (live - I think) with Mosconi when both were getting along in years. Mosconi still played some darned impressive pool while Fats couldn't break an egg with a cue.

Never had the opportunity to watch him when he was younger.