Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Thoughts on the Value of This Brunswick Willie Hoppe Cue?

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Thoughts on the Value of This Brunswick Willie Hoppe Cue?
Old
  (#1)
MaxCad
AzB Bronze Member
MaxCad is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Thoughts on the Value of This Brunswick Willie Hoppe Cue? - 09-06-2010, 09:21 PM

Hi guys, I am having trouble figuring out what this bad boy is worth. I know it's from the 40's because of the light blue Brunswick logo. It has an 18 oz weight. Here are some pics:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/872...1009062111.jpg

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8...1009062101.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7...1009062101.jpg

I can get better pictures if it would help. The top part of the cue is a little worn and the finish is pretty much faded/worn off. The metal piece in the middle of the cue is engraved with Ron Sharek. I guess just someone who got it made. I don't know if that effects the value. Overall the cue is fairly worn but everything looks to be original and in decent shape for being 65 years old. I would appreciate some thoughts on pricing very much. I am selling this for a friend and don't really know where to begin.

Thanks Everyone

Last edited by MaxCad; 09-06-2010 at 09:25 PM.

Old
  (#2)
qbilder
slower than snails
qbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2010, 09:30 PM

$250-$350 if straight. Less if warped or wobbly when rolled on the table.

I don't check PM's, please email me instead: sugartreecue@gmail.com

Old
  (#3)
Scott Lee
AzB Gold Member
Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

09-06-2010, 09:31 PM

In the shape it's in, I guess between $400-$600.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#4)
MaxCad
AzB Bronze Member

09-06-2010, 09:37 PM

The tip seems to be warped maybe a quarter of an inch. Starting from about 3-4 inches down. How much would it cost to restore? Would that be something worth doing before selling it? I really appreciate the information.

Old
  (#5)
qbilder
slower than snails
qbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond reputeqbilder has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
In the shape it's in, I guess between $400-$600.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
I haven't seen one go for that much in a long time, especially the bland sapele wood cues. Usually the $400-$600 cues have an ivory hoppe ring and/or nice wood such as rosewood, purpleheart, oak. Good rosewood & ebony go for closer to $1000. But this one is pretty basic & bland.

Old
  (#6)
qbilder
slower than snails

09-06-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxCad View Post
The tip seems to be warped maybe a quarter of an inch. Starting from about 3-4 inches down. How much would it cost to restore? Would that be something worth doing before selling it? I really appreciate the information.
If sold to a buyer for antique cues, you shouldn't do anything. It's best in unrestored condition. If marketing to cuemakers for conversion, put it on ebay & take highest bid as is. Otherwise you can pay a cuemaker to convert it into a modern cue and take the risk of investment but most likely you'd be best just putting it on ebay as a Brunswick Hoppe cue in expected condition for it's age.

Old
  (#7)
Scott Lee
AzB Gold Member
Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2010, 10:02 PM

qbilder...You're right! I failed to notice no ivory ring. I've seen more Hoppe cues with the ring than without! LOL I had one that brought $700 about 6-7 years ago. It was rosewood, had bright points, and the ivory ring.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbilder View Post
I haven't seen one go for that much in a long time, especially the bland sapele wood cues. Usually the $400-$600 cues have an ivory hoppe ring and/or nice wood such as rosewood, purpleheart, oak. Good rosewood & ebony go for closer to $1000. But this one is pretty basic & bland.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#8)
TATE
AzB Gold Member
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Hi guys, I am having trouble figuring out what this bad boy is worth. I know it's from the 40's because of the light blue Brunswick logo. It has an 18 oz weight. Here are some pics:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/872...1009062111.jpg

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8...1009062101.jpg

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7...1009062101.jpg

I can get better pictures if it would help. The top part of the cue is a little worn and the finish is pretty much faded/worn off. The metal piece in the middle of the cue is engraved with Ron Sharek. I guess just someone who got it made. I don't know if that effects the value. Overall the cue is fairly worn but everything looks to be original and in decent shape for being 65 years old. I would appreciate some thoughts on pricing very much. I am selling this for a friend and don't really know where to begin.

Thanks Everyone
Does the label look like the one below? If it does, that's early 1960's. They stopped using the ivory ring in the late 1950's and changed the script on the Brunswick logo in the early 1960's. The script on "Brunswick" looks to me like the one below.

This cue looks like it's in pretty bad shape and would need a lot of work. I would say it's worth about $150 - $200 as is - and that is if it's relatively straight. I've got a beautiful one that is in near perfect original shape I would sell for $400.

Here is a link to some Brunswick catalogs on my website - if you look at the 1961 catalog there is a fold out for this model:

http://www.palmercollector.com/Bruns...rHomePage.html

Chris
Attached Images

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Last edited by TATE; 09-06-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Old
  (#9)
TATE
AzB Gold Member
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

09-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
It's not worth the money to fix it. A new shaft would cost up to about $150 and it would not raise the value much, plus it would look terrible unless the entire cue were restored.

Best to just sell it "as is".

Chris

www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#10)
TATE
AzB Gold Member

09-06-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
qbilder...You're right! I failed to notice no ivory ring. I've seen more Hoppe cues with the ring than without! LOL I had one that brought $700 about 6-7 years ago. It was rosewood, had bright points, and the ivory ring.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
That was a nice collectible Hoppe, Scott! It was a rarer one too - World War II vintage. They were fighting over that one.

Chris

www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#11)
qbilder
slower than snails

09-06-2010, 11:26 PM

Yeah, i'd love to find a thick one piece rosewood Titleist. A real rosewood, not just some brown wood people label as rosewood because they don't know any better. I have seen cocobolo, too. They are very rare.

Old
  (#12)
Scott Lee
AzB Gold Member

09-06-2010, 11:34 PM

Thanks for your help with that Chris! I still owe ya dinner or something next time I see you!

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
That was a nice collectible Hoppe, Scott! It was a rarer one too - World War II vintage. They were fighting over that one.

Chris

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#13)
MaxCad
AzB Bronze Member

09-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks so much guys for your help. The man's uncle left it with him so it probably has more than $200 of sentimental value. I appreciate the info. And yes the label does look like that so I guess it's from the 60's.

--Max

Old
  (#14)
MaxCad
AzB Bronze Member

09-09-2010, 06:21 PM

Alright it is for sale on eBay with a starting price of $98 and no reserve. Check it out and bid this baby up!! Auction ends in 9 days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330470802187

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: