Is your break cue heavier or lighter than your playing cue?

Pick one:

• Heavier

Votes: 33 26.2%
  • Lighter

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • Same weight

Votes: 37 29.4%

• Total voters

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You hear all kinds of contradictory advice on this one. Thought it'd be interesting to see what players are actually using.

If you exclusively play straight pool or one of the other soft-break games where you'll naturally use your playing cue, please don't click a choice since it'll mess up the results.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked this same question at a BIG 9ball tourney back in the 90's....Sigel, Varner and Rempe all told me their break cues were lighter.....so, mine is lighter! :)

I have 2 playing cues.....18.5oz and 20.5oz for different speed cloth, and my breaker is just under 18oz.

Antfarm

PRAGMATIC PONTIFICATOR
Silver Member
I don't' like to swing too hard so using a heavier break cue allows me to slow down my break and still have a lot of energy transfered into the rack. I don't need that weight in my shooting cue because I don't need that kind of energy transfer.

Greg

RockemSockem

Registered
Lighter

I like the lighter break cue to generate little extra speed, only because I'm a bit older now & my strength isn't what it used to be. I also tend to control the whitey a bit better with lighter break cue.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Great ?

THREE CORRECT ANSWERS

Lighter

Heavier

Same as Player:smile:

It is called Personal Preference!
:)

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
And now it has a Lyptus shaft in addition to the original Arnot T3 laminated shaft.

Manoman2444

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a J&J break cue that I took the weight bolt out of. It was probably 3-31/2 inches long. Just wanted to see the difference. Breaks a whole lot better without the bolt. It was susposed to be 19oz. to start with. The weight bolt stays out now.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Break Cue to be what feels good, mine is forward weighted & is a 21oz, but that feels extra good when I hit the cue ball...

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I removed the weights from my power break II. It weighted about 18.5 previously. Now it is somewhere between 17 and I break about 20mph

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Mine is the same weight, because these days I'm using one cue for everything!;)

When I used a separate break cue, I preferred it lighter.

JamesV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At the moment the same weight, since it's my playing cue.

Thinking about getting a separate cue for breaking, just don't know yet which way the weight will go.

James

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
I didn't vote cause I will use player or something off the wall right now.
The way I have always understood it a very light or weak person should use as heavy a break cue as possible to compensate for lack of power.
A large or strong person who breaks soft can use most anything and a large/strong person who breaks hard should go as light as they can and still keep the balls on the table.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You hear all kinds of contradictory advice on this one. Thought it'd be interesting to see what players are actually using.

If you exclusively play straight pool or one of the other soft-break games where you'll naturally use your playing cue, please don't click a choice since it'll mess up the results.
FYI, some good information and advice concerning cue weight selection can be found here:

Regards,
Dave

phread59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My player is only 18.2 oz or 18.7 depending which cue I'm using. My break is 19.07. I voted heavier. I would love to try a 17 or so ounce breaker just for grins and giggles.

Mark Shuman

Zbotiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break cue wieght, it varies?

I don't' like to swing too hard so using a heavier break cue allows me to slow down my break and still have a lot of energy transfered into the rack. I don't need that weight in my shooting cue because I don't need that kind of energy transfer.

Greg

Well, I'd like to say that one weight would be theoretically better or superior to the other, it's just not so. Greg's statement, quoted here, sums up one effective technique for parting the balls. Another, and I'd like to think a more effective approach, is using a quicker snap up into the cue-ball and a lighter cue, excels there. Either way, the same player can make use of both break techniques and use the weight that favors that break shot style!
Everybody accepts that the break is hit differently according to the characteristic's of the table your playing on. You don't break on a 7' bar-box the way you do on a 9' Gold-crown, not to mention a new 9' Diamond with day old cloth!
Ask any Champion, and they'll probably tell you they want to get the same results on each of those different tables with their break shot. However, they'll achieve those results in a lot of different ways, with changing speeds, cut, and angle of attack on the cue-ball, (to name some of the variables). So why not use some different weight break cues and try either of the 2 basic constructs? It will be interesting to see what the results of this poll are.
Will they suggest a general best case scenario for a consistent break technique according to cue weight?

Paulie

Registered
I just bought a Jump Break cue and am weighting :) for delivery. I went through the same question. I have been going to the wall at the club for my break cue and use a nice 21 OZ one piece house cue at home. (19 OZ for playing). Every body has a different position on it. All the guys I know who are good players said to go light, like 17 or 18 oz. I am 6 foot and not weak, but not really getting great breaks with the 21 oz. For me, the lighter seems to give better results.
So I decided to just make the one I ordered a 19 oz, same as my playing cue.
I would suggest maybe grabbing a few decent house cues of different weights at the club and do a few breaks and see what you like.