Lyptus shafts

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
So, the long version of the story is that I read a post here .... probably last spring .... about lyptus shafts. Thread posted by Brent of BHQ Custom Cues. We exhanged notes about this wood, it benifits, virtues, what have you. And Brent agreed to sell me a couple of turning squares so that I might make a couple of lyptus wood shafts to try.

Got the shafts in May. And thanks to Brent, they had already been turned round. So, I took them to the shop, put them on the shaper machine and turned them to .700 or .800 at the tip end, dipped them in Nelsonite and let them rest. Went back 30 days or so later, turned off another .100, dipped them in Nelsonite and let them rest again. Went back 30 days or so later (you can see where this is going, right?) turned them to .625 .....

A couple of weeks ago I went back to the shop, turned the shafts to about .520 at the tip end, and began the final shaft making process.

I made a playing shaft for one of my Butterfly cues with Everest red stripe medium tip and a Break Shaft for my Arnot Matched Set with a Mad Mad Hard 11 layer pigskin tip.

Photos attached.

My observations are as follows:

1) Wood machines nicely. Acts pretty much like maple, but .... does tend to 'rip' a bit more than maple.

2) Final product has a 'curly' appearance. You can see the curl in the photos, if you look closely. It is quite obvious in person.

3) Shafts are VERY light. My lyptus shafts both came out to 3.4 ounces/98 grams compared to 3.9 ounces/ 111 grams for my Arnot T3 shafts.

4) Shafts appear to be a stiff as my T3's

5) Both Playing shaft and Break shaft perform admirably .... at least as well as it's maple counterparts.

I will likely have more observations after I've had a chance to use the shafts some more.

But .... at this time .... I'm very happy with my lyptus shafts. Thanks, Brent for introducing me to this new wood. And, Thanks Arnot for letting me use your shop.

Attachments

• IMG_1971.jpg
    IMG_1971.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_1973.jpg
    IMG_1973.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 816
  • IMG_1974.jpg
    IMG_1974.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 809
Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I like the look and color a lot - very subtle.

Since they are lighter than maple, would you say they are fairly low squirt?

I would like to test one of these in the future if you make an extra with a radial joint.

Chris

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
I like the look and color a lot - very subtle.

Since they are lighter than maple, would you say they are fairly low squirt?

I would like to test one of these in the future if you make an extra with a radial joint.

Chris

Chris, thanks for the reply.

#1 I can't comment on squirt. Not sure what it is really and don't have the fine motor/visual skills required to determine the existence or amount, if present. I just don't know.

#2 About making one for you. Hmmmmm, how do I put this? I only make stuff for myself. Selfish Cue Maker? I guess. I have access to Arnot's shop (www.ArnotQ.com) and use it on occasion to make new and fun stuff for myself.

I would suggest you contact BHQ, on these forums, to make you one. He's a REAL Cue Maker.

Good luck.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Chris, thanks for the reply.

#1 I can't comment on squirt. Not sure what it is really and don't have the fine motor/visual skills required to determine the existence or amount, if present. I just don't know.

#2 About making one for you. Hmmmmm, how do I put this? I only make stuff for myself. Selfish Cue Maker? I guess. I have access to Arnot's shop (www.ArnotQ.com) and use it on occasion to make new and fun stuff for myself.

I would suggest you contact BHQ, on these forums, to make you one. He's a REAL Cue Maker.

Good luck.

Thanks - I might do that. I'm going to look into borrowing one of these for a test at least.

Chris

Jim BC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good shafts

received lyptus shaft with buckhorn ferrule from BHQ early 2008? as 2nd shaft for cue he built me. After reading post I tried it out today again and can say it is as good as any other in my opinion. I am no expert - would like to hear other opinions.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
it was another az'er ben aka "pinocchio" that turned me onto lyptus about 3 years ago when i met him at the derby
havent seen him post on here in a longtime

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
I'd never heard of "Lyptus", so I googled...shortened for eucalyptus. This tree grows well in California, IIRC. Anyway, a link to what a google search revealed...

http://www.lyptus.com/homeowners/environmental-information/
from what i was told by lumber guy in cincinnati where i buy it, it's thier procedure for growing it that makes it "lyptus"
not quite sure what exactly that means though
it's used predominately for hardwood flooring
developed by weyerhauser

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I spent about 6 months with a lyptus shaft on one of Brent's cues. Dual purpose. Used as a break cue predominately (hardtipped). Hit like a ton of bricks but didn't go overboard (aluminum bat style).
Excellent feedback with that nice solid feel you want from a break cue...without that phenolic plasticy uncomfortable tone.

Then my brother in law played with it pretty regularly on Wednesday nights. He preferred that stiff firm feel. He still talks about the cue that I sold out from under him.

The other shaft I liked from Brent was the purpleheart. Similar characteristics but even more on the stiff/firm side with a bit more reverberation.

Last edited:

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
I spent about 6 months with a lyptus shaft on one of Brent's cues. Dual purpose. Used as a break cue predominately (hardtipped). Hit like a ton of bricks but didn't go overboard (aluminum bat style).
Excellent feedback with that nice solid feel you want from a break cue...without that phenolic plasticy uncomfortable tone.

Then my brother in law played with it pretty regularly on Wednesday nights. He preferred that stiff firm feel. He still talks about the cue that I sold out from under him.

The other shaft I liked from Brent was the purpleheart. Similar characteristics but even more on the stiff/firm side with a bit more reverberation.

mean to your brother in law huh? :thumbup:
theres been other threads about lyptus shafts
so, i'll sum it up briefly
they hit like purpleheart, hard and stiff (geez, that kinda sounds bad, doesnt it:rolleyes:), but they are llighter than maple. approx 1/4 to 3/8 ounce lighter at my taper
they dont tap & thread well, at least for me
i always use an insert, either phenolic or a harder wood