WWII Hoppe Leather Wrap Restore Project, with pictures...

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
During WWII brass was a limited commodity. Brunswick used some of the early linen phenolic for their joints. I got this beat up cue years ago and decided to restore it to as close to original as possible. It's a rare WWII Hoppe, made sometime between 1941 and 1945.

The handle had the thick, smooth, black leather used at the time. This leather is at least twice as thick as the current leather used for wraps, It was put on kind of lumpy lumpy and pressed down, so these handles are typically fat anyway, but over time the leather swells back out. Brunswick had used this leather for many years and was commonly seen on 26 1/2's. I wanted to keep this distinctive thick leather wrap look and the new wraps just aren't even close.

Scot Sherbine does most of my finish work. I didn't want to heap this pile of leather on him though and I wasn't sure if he could restore this or not. I'm still having Scot do the finish work because he's way better at painting than I am.

I tried to read up on leather restoration techniques with no luck. Best I could find was the commercial finishing process for leather. So I used that information and experimented on non-cues until I figured it out.

Here's how i did it:

1. Clean the leather with solvent to remove oil and any compounds that might interfere with the finish. I like lacquer thinner best but test an area first, you never know if there might be a lacquer based finish on the leather.

2. I used warm water to wet and raise the deep cracks, dents and gouges. I soaked the deepest gouges with water and let it penetrate, then used a hair dryer to steam the water, which raised 95% of the dents. This has to be done several times on the deepest dents. This will also raise the leather surface grain.

3. After the leather was fully dry, I used a drill with a cue chuck I got from Joe Picone years ago and 220 grit dry paper, and sanded it out. I didn't want to start with 220 but there was no choice. The leather was too messed up and the surface had to come off.

4. There were a few deep cracks that became visible with the sanding, so I repeated steps 2 and 3 with success.

5. Sanded with 400, 600, 1000, 1500 and 2000 dry. The leather became progressively smoother. 2000 gives a very nice polished smooth finish. You can stop with 1000 if you like a little grain. TIP - always do sanding work with leather dry. Even cutting compounds will raise leather grain, so sandpaper is the best. Make sure the leather is as dry as possible or it will not sand properly.

6. Dyed the leather with black dye. Dye is solvent based and quickly and deeply penetrates the leather. Best put on with a cotton applicator, use smooth movements and saturate the wrap. Let dry and repeat.

7. When dying, cut in the edges of the wrap like a painter. Dye will seep under masking tape. I used masking tape and cellophane but I still cut the edges in carefully and still got a little on the wood.

8. Let completely dry and polish out with the softest cloth you can find. You can then use a protectant like mink oil or shoe polish.

Pics are below.

Chirs

Attachments

• hoppeWW2.jpg
    hoppeWW2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 502
  • Hoppe Restore Joint.jpg
    Hoppe Restore Joint.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 514
  • Hoppe Cue restore sanding.jpg
    Hoppe Cue restore sanding.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 514
  • Hoppe Restore Leather Dye.jpg
    Hoppe Restore Leather Dye.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 530
  • Hoppe restore before and after.jpg
    Hoppe restore before and after.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Here was the worst dent. there were hundreds of dings on this handle - it looked like somebody used it as a hammer.

Also, a pic of the excellent reproduction decal from Classic Billiards in Maryland, Ken Hash. They really have some good reproduction stuff and excellent service.

Shipping the cue to the great Scot Sherbine at Proficient Monday along with another 26 1/2 before & after project. I'll post pics when it's done.

Chris

Attachments

• hope Cue Restore Gouge.jpg
    hope Cue Restore Gouge.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 505
  • Hoppe restore Ship it.jpg
    Hoppe restore Ship it.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Wow, great job Tate. That looks like it just came off the rack.

Thanks - surprisingly it wasn't all that difficult once I got the steps right. I'm going to try the same thing on some old one piece leathers that have no finish on them at all, but it will be more difficult because I have to do them by hand.

Chirs

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Great work Chris. How was the seam before and after? Did the water swell the seam tighter?

Good point. The seam was roughly cut in the first place. I think what they did in those days was use an overlap with a straight edge and knife. It was actually cut with a slight angle.

The water swelled the seam edges but when it dried it sanded right down. It's visible but it looks fine -certainly consistent with the work they were doing at the time. Compared to today's slick cue makers and their leather jigs and blanks, this is a fissure! I could have sanded the seam directly but I was afraid it would show a scallop pattern in the surrounding leather, especially in the shiny black which shows everything.

If the seam were really bad, I would consider black vinyl filler, but it does show a duller color because it doesn't take the dye, sanding or polishing. Here's as good of a pic as I can get of the seam.

Interestingly enough, now that I have the leather evened up the cue rolls straight again.

Sounds like you may have done this. What was your experience?

Chris

Attachments

• Hoppe seam.jpg
    Hoppe seam.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Here was the worst dent. there were hundreds of dings on this handle - it looked like somebody used it as a hammer.

Also, a pic of the excellent reproduction decal from Classic Billiards in Maryland, Ken Hash. They really have some good reproduction stuff and excellent service.

Shipping the cue to the great Scot Sherbine at Proficient Monday along with another 26 1/2 before & after project. I'll post pics when it's done.

Chris

Chris, that is really some nice work. I have done a little restoration on some of these old Leather wraps, so I understand what you have accomplished. I don't think it could get any better buddy, I may have to travel down to California so that I can get a lesson from you!!!:smile:

Great Job Chris

9BallPaul

Banned
Wow

Gorgeous.

A couple years ago, I bought the Predator Willie Hoppe remake. When I was a kid in the '60s, the Hoppe was one cue that I felt was in my price range, but I never got my hands on one.

After experimenting with different tips, I settled on a Kamui medium and I'm very happy with how it plays. Nonetheless, I'd love to own an original Brunswick (but maybe with the Predator shaft).