Viking Cues...........

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Someone mentioned to me yesterday on a phone call that he heard Viking Cues closed their doors a couple of weeks ago.

Does anyone know if this is true? :confused:

Thanks.

Will Prout

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I just placed a call to their HQ, and they are going out of business. Selling it all.........

Wow, they`ve been around a long, long time. I remember in the early 70`s when they had the catalog with the bearded gambler on the cover in the white suit.

They certainly have made a contribution to our industry.

Will Prout

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
It is certainly a shame, soon if you want to buy American you will have to build it yourself, it seems that competition with China in the billiards industry is more than even our oldest companies can handle. :embarrassed2:

Mick56

Go Pack!!!!!
Silver Member
Here's what they looked like while driving by.

Attachments

• Viking.jpg
    Viking.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 3,673

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is sad news indeed! I made more than a few visits to the Viking shop in Madison when I used to live in WI. The first "nice" cue I ever owned was a Viking.

cut shot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The times are a changing! More than Viking is going East to Asia. I hate to see it but, its an economic fact! I hope it gets better!

zy112

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So is Viking moving overseas and closing the US facility, or going out of business completely?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is certainly a shame, soon if you want to buy American you will have to build it yourself, it seems that competition with China in the billiards industry is more than even our oldest companies can handle. :embarrassed2:

I am really sorry to see this happen. I predicted this on the forum a while back. Not so much as Viking quitting but that sooner or later all that would be left in the US would be custom cue makers catering to the high end and off shore makers for the low end. It's a never ending trend in American manufacturing that I have watched for over 50 years.
I just heard on the radio today that in the '50s 40% of American jobs were in manufacturing. Now it is down to 11%. I'm not an economic genius but I can see this is a road to ruin. Yes I know I play with a Chinese made cue but that is a whole different story.

cheapcues.com

Cue Dealer
Silver Member
I am really sorry to see this happen. I predicted this on the forum a while back. Not so much as Viking quitting but that sooner or later all that would be left in the US would be custom cue makers catering to the high end and off shore makers for the low end. It's a never ending trend in American manufacturing that I have watched for over 50 years.
I just heard on the radio today that in the '50s 40% of American jobs were in manufacturing. Now it is down to 11%. I'm not an economic genius but I can see this is a road to ruin. Yes I know I play with a Chinese made cue but that is a whole different story.

Although you never want your currency to be de-valued, the silver lining in the weakening of the dollar is it is becoming less attractive to outsource labor overseas. It will take a while but hopefully the US can become a manufacturing power again! Keep up hope people!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Although you never want your currency to be de-valued, the silver lining in the weakening of the dollar is it is becoming less attractive to outsource labor overseas. It will take a while but hopefully the US can become a manufacturing power again! Keep up hope people!

TAP TAP TAP....always a great hope to have.....thats what made us the super power we are to begin with....they have been moving in an opposite direction for some time...but it should shift back if the country knows whats good from them.

Sad new to hear viking is in trouble......The equipment i learned to build cues on in the Weinstock custom shop was purchased from Verl Horn by Joel weinstock in the early 80's and Verl had gotten them from Viking....those two Logan lathes were two of the original lathes in their factory. They have been building nothing but pool cues for about 40 years.....

If anyone is around Tulsa Ok, you can go to the Q-Spot off of sheridan and see the two lathes in Ken Ken Quarters pro shop.

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Too bad, I never cared for Viking cues myself, but it's a blow to the US industry, that's for sure.

geno

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At least the tour will live on. Kudos to Ozone Billiards for picking up the title sponsorship. And to Olhausen Billiards for their co-title sponsorship on the $5,000 added events.

Without the above mentioned companies and the tours co-sponsors the regional tour system may have lost $93,000 in added monies to events next year.

Viking was HUGE contributor to our sport and I am very sad to hear the news about them. I wish everyone at Viking (the Hart Family) much success in any future endeavors and here is a BIG THANK YOU for all you have done for our sport over the last 45 years...

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member

Measureman, playing with a Chinese cue has little if anything to do with it, it's impossible to stem the tide, kinda like what happened at the Yalu River during the Korean war. These cues are in most cases good for what they cost, not everyone can afford to spend a large sum on a cue. The real problem is our Governments policies, while I am not for total protectionism we did not need to be sold down the river either, which they have done in the name of fair trade.:angry:

In the billiards industry just like any other corporations are going to make decisions that will keep them in business, you have to grow with the times and be competitive or die there is no other choice. I sell a mixture of imports from China and American made products, if I didn't I could not compete with my competition. I try to buy products that have a good track record so that I can give my customers the best deal for their money, but I also guaranty these products with in reason.

Good Post Measureman!!:)

Last edited:

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
It is not only pool products you know.
I am 59 and almost every job that I had from the time I was a teenager untill I turned 50 was moved overseas.
I did do some siding only because the jobs were gone.
A few were automated too but they eventually left the country also.
We as a country are just not very productive at all.
I seen it coming a long time ago !

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My Question is, are the Chinese to be blamed, or the competition? Or the people who sell cues in the USA who did not carry the Viking Line, or maybe we should blame the Boys & Girls in Washington D.C. who write, and vote on the law they write. Or better yet BLAME BUSH. Could it be Viking cues like GM, Chrysler, Eastman Kodak, had the attitude we are on top of the Mountain, like Eastman Kodak did, and never looked over their shoulder, as the competition was developing products for the further. Last could it be the recession, that has hurt so many Americans, and American businesses.

Last reason could be is Viking Cue were seldom a topic of discussion on THIS FORUM, so I wonder now who will be Mike Janis will replace Viking Cue with??

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I feel badly for the Hart family. One page in the history books, it seems. is closed. Viking used to be a supplier of parts too for other cue makers.

There are too many cue makers and not enough cue buyers. I believe there are opportunities out there, but these U.S. companies need to find the global market and some marketing partners. The U.S. market is stagnant.

Chris