Best bar table player with the big rock?

Jerry OC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who in your opinion was the best (20 years ago) or is the best (now) bar table player with the big rock? I'm talking 9 ball.

These are just some names to think about.

Buddy Hall
Billy Johnson
Keith McCready
Sergio

Last edited:

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry OC said:
Who in your opinion was the best (20 years ago) or is the best (now) bar table player with the big rock? I'm talking 9 ball.

Buddy Hall
Billy Johnson
Keith McCready
Sergio

Although I have immense respect for the list above and have had my ass kicked by two of them, I'd have to say David Matlock. David is pretty damn salty on a 9' pocket billiards table, or a 10' carom table, but he's fu%&ing dangerous on a Bar Box with a big CB. REAL dangerous. If we include Dave in the list, then I've had my ass kicked by three of them! :(

Later,
Bob

Jerry OC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back in the days of Frank's Tavern in Southern California, Sergio was the player to beat.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry OC said:

Buddy Hall
Billy Johnson
Keith McCready
Sergio

Now, it is none of them

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jerry OC said:
Back in the days of Frank's Tavern in Southern California, Sergio was the player to beat.

Do not forget `King Kong`( Bernard Chavez)

Jerry OC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sergio beat King Kong like a red headed step child. Supposedly he beat Billy Johnson quite a bit back then. I'm not sure how Evil fit in back then either.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Omaha John was tremedous.
Joe Salazar may have been one of the best ever.

OldHasBeen

Tom Ferry
Imho

Jerry OC said:

Buddy Hall
Billy Johnson
Keith McCready
Sergio

When I was with Buddy he was THE BEST I had ever seen (or seen since) and there was NO takers.
The only player that was at the same level IMO was David Matlock. David has aged very well and I think he could STILL be the best.
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE DAVID & JESSE PLAY A BIG JUICY AHEAD SET.

Another one that hasn't even been mentioned and I saw him play the best in Chicago and had NO one wanting to play him anywhere for serious CA$H is -
Larry Hubbart

TY & GL

hemicudas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OldHasBeen said:
When I was with Buddy he was THE BEST I had ever seen (or seen since) and there was NO takers.
The only player that was at the same level IMO was David Matlock. David has aged very well and I think he could STILL be the best.
I WOULD LOVE TO SEE DAVID & JESSE PLAY A BIG JUICY AHEAD SET.

Another one that hasn't even been mentioned and I saw him play the best in Chicago and had NO one wanting to play him anywhere for serious CA$H is -
Larry Hubbart

TY & GL

Sounds familiar.

1. Keith Mc Cready
2. Dan Louie
3. Buddy Hall
4. Vernon Elliott

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
correctme if I'm wrong but beleive in the 80's and early 90's that Dave was the barbox King as touted by his many titles and his peers.

But here's my list
Dave M
Buddy H
Jesse B
Wayne H
Billy J

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
There's only 3 people in the last 30 years that had an aura about them on the bar box for the dough. These guys were absolutly the MOST talked about and MOST feared for a looooonnnng time.

DAVE MATLOCK (big rock)

KEITH McCREADY (big & small rock)

BUDDY HALL (small rock)

There's no one nowadays that's talked about like these 3 were for so long.

8-ball bernie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there was a player in long island new york named paris. he was the very best bar table player you'd ever seen. he played as well as ralf souquet on a regulation table. his pattern play was so clean and brilliant you could eat off of it! he never used english! only different speeds and vertical access. i haven't heard from him since 1988. the last i heard, they banned him from all the tournaments!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Bar Box Kings

stevelomako said:
There's only 3 people in the last 30 years that had an aura about them on the bar box for the dough. These guys were absolutly the MOST talked about and MOST feared for a looooonnnng time.

DAVE MATLOCK (big rock)

KEITH McCREADY (big & small rock)

BUDDY HALL (small rock)

There's no one nowadays that's talked about like these 3 were for so long.

Just couldn't read all this without putting in my two cents. I replied to this post because you are close to the money. This is probably the big three of the last 20-30 years. Keith beat all the hispanic champions when he was still a kid, hence the nickname "El Diablo".
One guy rarely mentioned who could swing it with anyone using the big ball was Bakersfield Bobby (Bobby Hernandez). He was low key and avoided the limelight but he was a world beater.
And I once witnessed Harry "The Horse" McConnell go thru the whole crowd at Daisy Mae's and empty the place out. He beat Mario, Al Nicaraugua and Sergio in order.
And as a final word, never leave Richie Florence out of any equation regarding the best 9-Ballers, on any table. He didn't really care for the small tables, but when he came around everyone headed for the exits.
They had better things to do then tangle with a guy who never missed a ball. You may recall he came out of retirement to win the first World Series of Tavern Pool, beating out a field of thousands at Caesar's Palace in the early 1980's. And EVERYONE played in that tournament!

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
8-ball bernie said:
there was a player in long island new york named paris. he was the very best bar table player you'd ever seen. he played as well as ralf souquet on a regulation table. his pattern play was so clean and brilliant you could eat off of it! he never used english! only different speeds and vertical access. i haven't heard from him since 1988. the last i heard, they banned him from all the tournaments!

Okay, we have a new leader in the most stupiest post I have ever read. 'They banned him from all the tournaments'. They ought to ban inane comments from internet posters.

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
Too bad Sergio's game dropped off- heard the man could play... Maybe you know Jay, but Little Al used to tell me of a guy from Colorado(wanting to say his name was Dick, or Richard), that beat everyone, including Buddy a couple of sets 11-0... Little Al's brother would stake him everywhere, but he was a nut/genius.. they would pick him up at the nuthouse when they thought he was ok to leave, and would have to drop him off after their trips. Heard he died pretty early.

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a barbox it's typical that one player controls the entire match. Even the best players have gotten beat 11-0 or 10 ahead on a barbox. You can't say someone got beaten like a redheaded stepchild if they never got a shot. Saying that is taking away from that person's game, like he couldn't hang or something.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bar box-big ball

jay helfert said:
Just couldn't read all this without putting in my two cents. I replied to this post because you are close to the money. This is probably the big three of the last 20-30 years. Keith beat all the hispanic champions when he was still a kid, hence the nickname "El Diablo".
One guy rarely mentioned who could swing it with anyone using the big ball was Bakersfield Bobby (Bobby Hernandez). He was low key and avoided the limelight but he was a world beater.
And I once witnessed Harry "The Horse" McConnell go thru the whole crowd at Daisy Mae's and empty the place out. He beat Mario, Al Nicaraugua and Sergio in order.
And as a final word, never leave Richie Florence out of any equation regarding the best 9-Ballers, on any table. He didn't really care for the small tables, but when he came around everyone headed for the exits.
They had better things to do then tangle with a guy who never missed a ball. You may recall he came out of retirement to win the first World Series of Tavern Pool, beating out a field of thousands at Caesar's Palace in the early 1980's. And EVERYONE played in that tournament!

Bakerfield Bobby was not only a hell of a player, he was fun to watch.
A lot of people come to mind when posed with this question.
I would have to say, obviousllt Buddy and David Matlock but then it gets to be a huge debate. I also liked Omaha John.Greg Stevens was awful tough as was Danny Medina.and many more. But Jay, you and I came from the same era and could have a friendly argument about this all night.
You and Redbird are really working the March event, why don't you go ahead and share it with everyone. Good Luck.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dick from Colo

Josh Palmer said:
Too bad Sergio's game dropped off- heard the man could play... Maybe you know Jay, but Little Al used to tell me of a guy from Colorado(wanting to say his name was Dick, or Richard), that beat everyone, including Buddy a couple of sets 11-0... Little Al's brother would stake him everywhere, but he was a nut/genius.. they would pick him up at the nuthouse when they thought he was ok to leave, and would have to drop him off after their trips. Heard he died pretty early.

I lived in Colo for several years and the Dick you refer to is Dick Henry and when Dick was right, he was absolutely awesome and maybe one of the most incredible characters ever in the game. If you ever get the chance, just ask Grady about him, he would probably know more about Dick than anyone living now.
Way back in the middle 70's, I staked Stevens against Dick in the old Centennial Billiards on Santa Fe in Denver and it is an event I will never forget as long as I live. Both had their mixtures so messed up and it was just absolutely hillarious to watch. Greg fot the cash, but it was not pretty.
Dick was though, on the right day, as good as anyone could be. But that is also kind of the way bar pool was back in those days.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
randyg said:
Omaha John was tremedous.
Joe Salazar may have been one of the best ever.

You know, Randy, you bring up another good one with Seattle Joe. He was a great player and since he turned cue salesman, I think a whole lot the younger generation would realize just hwat a great player Joe Really was. As you know, I'm around Joe quite a bit and we have had many conversations and I have never heard of Joe getting beat. ( He's gonna kill me)
He did do something I saw nobody else do though. At the old Jolly Roger Bar in Denver, about 76 or 77, he went in there and handed Danny Medina his come-upings as they say. In those days, that did not happen very often.
Lewis

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
ironman said:
You know, Randy, you bring up another good one with Seattle Joe. He was a great player and since he turned cue salesman, I think a whole lot the younger generation would realize just hwat a great player Joe Really was. As you know, I'm around Joe quite a bit and we have had many conversations and I have never heard of Joe getting beat. ( He's gonna kill me)
He did do something I saw nobody else do though. At the old Jolly Roger Bar in Denver, about 76 or 77, he went in there and handed Danny Medina his come-upings as they say. In those days, that did not happen very often.
Lewis

Louis: Quick Joe Salazar story.

Joe is from Tracy, Ca. Played at "Ducks" Billiards. Joe has not been around Ducks for about 25 years.

A couple of years ago I stopped in Tracy and walked into Ducks. I asked the counter man who the best palyer in town was. "Joe Salazar" was the quick retort. I said that Joe hadn't been around for years, he responded that it didn't make any difference, Joe was still the best in the West. I sat for an hour and listened to him tell me Salazar stories. Never once heard a bad word about Joe, not one.

Joe may be quiet and I find him a nice gentleman, but he's a champion....randyg