Diamond redesign question

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Hey there guys. First off, I would like to thank you for posting some quality knowledge on this board over the years. Great stuff. Now, I've got a Diamond pro table (with 3 peice slate, not that I think that matters) that was made in about 2005. I love it. But now, I see that they have redesigned the rails in order to "correct" the banks from running short and to reduce the "speed" of the rails. I am beginning to wonder if I should have my rails replaced and/or amended to play to the same updated company specs. Can this be done? Should I consider it and how much would it cost if possible?

I also hear that they redesigned the pockets and the new ones have a larger ball capacity and no longer cause those brown spots on the balls. Is this true? If so, same question as above, can I have my old ones replaced with the new ones and if so, would you guys advice me to do so?

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

Cheers...

Dartman

Silver Member
Before this turns into another "diamond faulty table" thread - based on what's been discussed so far it appears they are not "correcting" but rather making an improvement going forward.

There have been previous comments about rail play as you noted but I don't know if this pertains to all their tables or just specific styles. Had asked this question once before without getting an answer from our resident diamond expert.

Last edited:

Donny Wessels

Silver Member
the pocket angle are routed in the bottom of the rails. you should be able to see them from underneath the table.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just to be clear, I LOVE my Diamond table! I just want to know if I should upgrade...

It's kind of like that old saying..."if it ain't broke, don't try fixing it"...so, the question you need to decide is...are you wanting to change the play of your Diamond table because you've been unhappy with it....or do you want to upgrade the rail design....because you heard about Diamond making a change and what ever that change is...you want it done to your table as well?

Glen

jalapus logan

Silver Member
It's kind of like that old saying..."if it ain't broke, don't try fixing it"...so, the question you need to decide is...are you wanting to change the play of your Diamond table because you've been unhappy with it....or do you want to upgrade the rail design....because you heard about Diamond making a change and what ever that change is...you want it done to your table as well?

Glen

I think that my table plays great. However, I would like to try to keep up with playing conditions typical of tourneys like the DCC. If the new ones play substantially different than mine, then that may bother me a bit. I don't know if it would be worth the cost though and I don't know how much of a difference has been made. You are the expert, so I value your opinion here.

BTW, I also like your thoughts about the game (rules, history, how to make tourneys better, etc.)

Thanks again for your thoughts.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I think that my table plays great. However, I would like to try to keep up with playing conditions typical of tourneys like the DCC. If the new ones play substantially different than mine, then that may bother me a bit. I don't know if it would be worth the cost though and I don't know how much of a difference has been made. You are the expert, so I value your opinion here.

BTW, I also like your thoughts about the game (rules, history, how to make tourneys better, etc.)

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Well, think about this for a minute. If the local pool room you play in has all GC's....and you have a Diamond..they don't play exactly the same either...so, would you consider having your Diamond changed to play more like the GC's you play on...once a year? If the tables at this coming DCC play in your opinion (better) than the Diamond you have at home....then yes, there is a modification that can be made to your table to match the same play as the tables at DCC...but I'd wait for more info on your part first by playing on the newer Diamonds first....then cross that bridge;)

Last edited:

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Well, think about this for a minute. If the local pool room you play in has all GC's....and you have a Diamond..they don't play exactly the same either...so, would you consider having your Diamond changed to play more like the GC's you play on...once a year? If the tables at this coming DCC play in your opinion (better) than the Diamond you have at home....then yes, there is a modification that can be made to your table to match the same play as the tables at DCC...but I'd wait for more info on your part first by playing on the newer Diamonds first....then cross that bridge;)

That's pretty good advice, thanks. Also, what do you think about the new pockets? It sounds promising that they leave no marks on the balls and have a larger ball capacity. Can the pockets be changed out and would the cost be prohibitive to do so?