Which is more important to you--balance or weight?

Which is the worse difference--one ounce, or one inch?

• Weight

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Balance

Votes: 51 70.8%
  • Doesn't affect me, either way.

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

Bob Callahan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Obviously, if either one is way off from your normal playing cue, it'll drive you nuts, but what about small differences--which bugs you most?

Last edited:

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
weight not so much, but if the cue feels butt heavy, like the weight is behind my hand.....I dont like it so much.

Robroy

Robin Dodson
Silver Member
weight not so much, but if the cue feels butt heavy, like the weight is behind my hand.....I dont like it so much.

I never noticed balance so much, the first thing I feel is the weight.
Then the shaft it must have a long tapper.

A well balanced cue is more important to me. Slight differences in weight can be overcome by proper balance, in other words a well balanced cue IMO can feel lighter than its actual weight.

I like a slight forward balance and can't stand butt heavy cues.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Balance hands down. Like Fats said, a heavy cue with proper balance can feel light. A good example of this would be Tad cues.

dkrager

Registered
Balance. I don't have a huge wingspan and grip at the top of the wrap so a forward weighted cue feels best to me.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Another vote for balance....I play a 19oz, but I can play with anywhere from a 16 to a 22 with ease.....buddy of mine had a 19 with completely different balance point, was incredibly inconsistent and it was a $1500 cue.....simply couldn't make quality shots with it....

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think both are important. But what some players don't know is that there can be a noticeable difference in the shaft weight . That's right. This will make a little difference in the balance and a little difference in the weight.

Somw would say so little doesn't matter but it does. Just put a little nick in your shaft and see how much that can screw you up. Little can be huge.

The difference is in how dense the wood is. I was amazed at how noticeable it was between 2 different shafts I had.

Food for thought. Just like your aim a little can make alot of difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Everyone is different. For me, balance is the number one attribute. And quite honestly, it's not even close. I don't think however that I'm in the majority.

Fred

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balance is more important. I had a killer Carmeli that was over 21oz but played so nice beacuse it was balanced so well. I asked many players how much they thought it weighed and they al guessed around 19.5oz.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Balance

To me there is no contest..a cue feels good because of balance.
Had two road cues..68 Joss-18.5 oz...71 Szamboti-20.25 oz
Loved them both.
The Szamboti was so well balanced that I won several bets on the weight...
...people usually thought it was under 19 oz

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Weight bothers me more than the balance of a cue. I can't play with a heavy cue, but I can adjust to front heavy or back heavy OK.

James