Worlds Greatest Player vs. the Peoples Champion

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
Here we go. Earl will play SVB on a 5x10 Diamond, 10 ball, race to 100 in 3 days. They will play at Ice Breakers Billiards in Youngstown Ohio sometime in February, probably the 11th, actual date will be published next week. The rules are 6 inch break box, call shot with the option, 10 ball last and a 40 second shot clock with a referee. The original professional table will be the battle field, a 5x10. Now lets see who the greatest player is. One stipulation is that the player that loses has the option to play another race the very next weekend on a 4 1/2 x 9 Diamond. This will be live streamed and taped for DVD sales. Now were talking.

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member
Here we go. Earl will play SVB on a 5x10 Diamond, 10 ball, race to 100 in 3 days. They will play at Ice Breakers Billiards in Youngstown Ohio sometime in February, probably the 11th, actual date will be published next week. The rules are 6 inch break box, call shot with the option, 10 ball last and a 40 second shot clock with a referee. The original professional table will be the battle field, a 5x10. Now lets see who the greatest player is. One stipulation is that the player that loses has the option to play another race the very next weekend on a 4 1/2 x 9 Diamond. This will be live streamed and taped for DVD sales. Now were talking.

Looking forward to seeing this. Thanks for posting, Mike.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
A 5x10 Diamond? That's a first! I'm happy for Earl that he proved he can win again, but I'm afraid he's biting off more than he can chew here. Some people just can't let go of the past. He's gonna get spanked again! Hat's off to Mike G. for putting this together. Should be a winner on the internet and DVD's.
I'm betting on Shane if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

bignasty

"I already did it"
Silver Member
details

the details will hopefully be taken care of monday. the date is still iffy we would like it to happen the week after the derby! but the rules are down and the bet is confirmed, but as always nothing is final til the dough is posted and the flyer is out! were close lets just wait till monday for the final workings to be worked out!

JStarkweather

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just talking about this 2 weeks ago. I thought Earl was in a good zone to compete again in a challenge match like this. I will have to make a trip to see this.

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
Where is the 6" break box? Does that and 10 last favor Earl?

Last, who does a 5x10 with tiny pockets favor? I wouldn't want to shoot on a 5x10 Diamond, so that says lots of safety play to me. Earl rule?

Still, Shane is the new gun in town!
I can't wait to see. Let's do some sort of PPV stream where some of us distant folk can watch recorded.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I assume it's just like it sounds -- you can't make the 10 ball on a combo? If so, are these common rules?

No, this is not standard 10 Ball rules. Under WSR you can make the 10 ball early on a combo or a carom for instance, but it has to be called.

Where is the 6" break box? Does that and 10 last favor Earl?...

I'm guessing the 6" break box would be anywhere behind 3" on either side of the foot spot. I don't know that it favors Earl but it sure shouldn't hurt Shane at all who breaks 10 Ball from pretty close to the center of the foot string.

--------

PULLEEEEZE keep us updated on the link to the stream!!

Thanks for putting this one together. Playing on a 10 footer is a great idea that adds to the special flavor of this match up. :cool:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I give classy gulyassy,pool room owner, and earl all the credit in the world,takeing on the best money player in the world at this moment,iam pulling for team classy,thats a helluva mountain to try to climb,but atlease you guys are trying it.i think earl has to take control of the game very early,open up a lead and hang on,dont forget guys earl runs 5 miles a day,that right there will have him more than ready for this long match,if he really does all that running every day,his endurance has to be incredable,so if he can open up a good early lead,i just think he will hold on!

Deadon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I give classy gulyassy,pool room owner, and earl all the credit in the world,takeing on the best money player in the world at this moment,iam pulling for team classy,thats a helluva mountain to try to climb,but atlease you guys are trying it.i think earl has to take control of the game very early,open up a lead and hang on,dont forget guys earl runs 5 miles a day,that right there will have him more than ready for this long match,if he really does all that running every day,his endurance has to be incredable,so if he can open up a good early lead,i just think he will hold on!

Might want to make that "best American money player", and there may be some, albeit small, argument on that.

poolaholic2010

one pocket addict no cure
Silver Member
Your right i forgot alex beat him.

even though earl is a champion he still gets beat at shanes format 100-94 in my book and hope the stream gets put up for the 5x10 set. it will be exciting to watch 2 champions playing on equipment that doesn't get played on normally in tournaments.