Dream or Nightmare: Your Next Match Has Just Been Called for the Accu-Stats Table

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got some new Accu-Stats 1Pocket DVDs for Xmas and have been watching a few of them. One DVD in particular made me chuckle a bit. I won't name names, but one of the players, at the time, was not so well-known and he goes up against an established champion. The underdog player plays *really* well in this match. But, at one point he has a chance to steal a game, if not the match, when the champion scratches. The underdog has BIH and chooses a questionable shot and then plows it straight into the rail. I think it was just that the heat was too much for him.

Sooooo there you are. You're in a tournament. You are no world-beater. You're hoping for a soft draw to get rolling. And then you hear your name over the PA and the announcement that your next match is on the Accu-Stats table: cameras, lights, a crowd, Danny Diliberto and Freddy the Beard in the booth. Your opponent is a stone-cold champion. And, you are clearly the dog.

Dream or nightmare?

Lou Figueroa

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
This very scenario happened to me about 15 years ago. I was playing in a tourney and it was my first in a few years. I asked some players who was the big stick and everyone pointed to a player out of Vegas who I had never seen before.

Well as luck would have it we were matched up first on the main table. To this day I cant say how but I fell into dead stroke and won seven to two.
He went on to lose his next match and talked the TD into buying back in.
He then caught fire and met me again in the finals and whooped me twice:angry:. I will always remember him saying nice shooting after our first match, I had just broke and ran four tables at eight ball in a row.

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happened to me twice both times at the World Straight Pool Championships, Once against Mika Immonen and the other against Thorsten Hohmann where I lost 100-0, Thorsten ran a 96 against me after a tough scratch on my part and then after a miss left me nothing. Still had a blast though and admire them both as players immensely.

John Brumback

Silver Member
I got some new Accu-Stats 1Pocket DVDs for Xmas and have been watching a few of them. One DVD in particular made me chuckle a bit. I won't name names, but one of the players, at the time, was not so well-known and he goes up against an established champion. The underdog player plays *really* well in this match. But, at one point he has a chance to steal a game, if not the match, when the champion scratches. The underdog has BIH and chooses a questionable shot and then plows it straight into the rail. I think it was just that the heat was too much for him.

Sooooo there you are. You're in a tournament. You are no world-beater. You're hoping for a soft draw to get rolling. And then you hear your name over the PA and the announcement that your next match is on the Accu-Stats table: cameras, lights, a crowd, Danny Diliberto and Freddy the Beard in the booth. Your opponent is a stone-cold champion. And, you are clearly the dog.

Dream or nightmare?

Lou Figueroa

Hello Lou.That's a good question,I vote NIGHTMARE!!! Until you get used to It,I think It's tuff.I know It brought my game way down until I got used to It.Like you said...Bright lights,cameras clicking,lots of people watching.
There might be some players that get up there and perform good the first time,but I think that would be an exception.Lucky for me I'v grown to relish It now.Well, I have been lucky with It last couple years anyway. lol.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
That would be pretty cool. At the point they called you on that table you are "probably" shooting pretty well to become the feature match. Now is the chance to get on video shooting near your peak level and get under the lights and see what it is like for the pros. I think I would be all over that chance.

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nightmare

I don't think playing on the TV table would be so bad, its the comments made by people on live streaming that would be a nightmare, people can be brutal, hahaha

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dream or Knightmare

Dream for me
I would love the chance to play 1 Pocket against Grady, Efren, Billy I, Buddy Hall, Scott Frost, Gabe Owen . Cliff Joyner and a bunch of other great players.

D_Lewis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have to say nightmare. Given the proliferation of streams at local tournaments today, I would not really want to be on the streaming table either...lol.

I played my one and only match on a stream table very early in a tournament, played above my ability and beat a much higher ranked player.

Best part of it, there was only 1 viewer at the time I was told so no evidence! Cha-Ching!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dream or nightmare?

Lou Figueroa

I would love every minute of it, I know I'd play way over my head in that circumstance.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Lou,
I think a nightmare and a dream are the same thing. For me it was parts of both. I had to play on the TV table at DCC back when BCN was still streaming from there. I was partners with Efren against Jeanette Lee and "mthornto" in the AZB raffle match. The seats were FULL (or seemed that way, doesn't really matter).

I was fairly novice at the time; but played great (for me) with Efren as a partner - we ran out every time we got to the table, won all the games, and never missed a ball (8 Ball match) - despite fierce sharking from Jeanette.

Very nerve wracking, but its always a great opportunity to test yourself...isn't that the point of pool. I had friends from Korea, Japan, and Finland call to point out how nervous I looked.

Here is my "Efren story" from that match. We were playing alternate shot, and when it was my first turn, I asked Efren on which side of the next ball he wanted the cue ball to be. He replied so the audience could hear, "it doesn't matter." I thought he might be joking, or didn't really understand my English, so I asked again if he wanted the cue ball nearer the rail than the next object ball (it was a ball he would have to shoot down the rail), even with the object ball, or farther from the rail than the object ball. He replied again, "it doesn't matter." The crowd went wild (I think they must have always suspected that Efren was fairly handy no matter his position).

My second shot was a long, tough, seven foot cut shot into those damn tough tight pockets. I made it, and let out a BIG sigh of relief (very lucky shot for me at the time). Efren asked with a puzzled expression, "what's wrong." I said, "I'm a beginner, and a straight pool player, I need to be closer to the ball to have any hope of making it." The rest of the match (3 or 4 more games), I was NEVER more than a foot away from an object ball. I think Efren can put whitey just about where he wants it. JMO.

Jason Koopman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou,
I think a nightmare and a dream are the same thing. For me it was parts of both. I had to play on the TV table at DCC back when BCN was still streaming from there. I was partners with Efren against Jeanette Lee and "mthornto" in the AZB raffle match. The seats were FULL (or seemed that way, doesn't really matter).

I was fairly novice at the time; but played great (for me) with Efren as a partner - we ran out every time we got to the table, won all the games, and never missed a ball (8 Ball match) - despite fierce sharking from Jeanette.

Very nerve wracking, but its always a great opportunity to test yourself...isn't that the point of pool. I had friends from Korea, Japan, and Finland call to point out how nervous I looked.

Here is my "Efren story" from that match. We were playing alternate shot, and when it was my first turn, I asked Efren on which side of the next ball he wanted the cue ball to be. He replied so the audience could hear, "it doesn't matter." I thought he might be joking, or didn't really understand my English, so I asked again if he wanted the cue ball nearer the rail than the next object ball (it was a ball he would have to shoot down the rail), even with the object ball, or farther from the rail than the object ball. He replied again, "it doesn't matter." The crowd went wild (I think they must have always suspected that Efren was fairly handy no matter his position).

My second shot was a long, tough, seven foot cut shot into those damn tough tight pockets. I made it, and let out a BIG sigh of relief (very lucky shot for me at the time). Efren asked with a puzzled expression, "what's wrong." I said, "I'm a beginner, and a straight pool player, I need to be closer to the ball to have any hope of making it." The rest of the match (3 or 4 more games), I was NEVER more than a foot away from an object ball. I think Efren can put whitey just about where he wants it. JMO.
That last paragraph is priceless.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I have never had to play on the Accu-Stats table, but I have drawn big name champions that caused a very large crowd and cameras. I played
respectfully but lost 9-5 at the hands of Larry Nevel last time it happened.
To me it is a distraction but I dam sure am not going to forfeit lol

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This very scenario happened to me about 15 years ago. I was playing in a tourney and it was my first in a few years. I asked some players who was the big stick and everyone pointed to a player out of Vegas who I had never seen before.

Well as luck would have it we were matched up first on the main table. To this day I cant say how but I fell into dead stroke and won seven to two.
He went on to lose his next match and talked the TD into buying back in.
He then caught fire and met me again in the finals and whooped me twice:angry:. I will always remember him saying nice shooting after our first match, I had just broke and ran four tables at eight ball in a row.

Cool.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Happened to me twice both times at the World Straight Pool Championships, Once against Mika Immonen and the other against Thorsten Hohmann where I lost 100-0, Thorsten ran a 96 against me after a tough scratch on my part and then after a miss left me nothing. Still had a blast though and admire them both as players immensely.

Yes, of course. But what was it like to watch the DVDs?

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello Lou.That's a good question,I vote NIGHTMARE!!! Until you get used to It,I think It's tuff.I know It brought my game way down until I got used to It.Like you said...Bright lights,cameras clicking,lots of people watching.
There might be some players that get up there and perform good the first time,but I think that would be an exception.Lucky for me I'v grown to relish It now.Well, I have been lucky with It last couple years anyway. lol.

Is this John Brumback?! (We've played twice though I don't expect you to remember.)

So: was it just being there a few more times that got you adjusted to playing under those conditions? Did you solidify your game more, to the point that it didn't matter anymore? Or did you learn something else that got you through those, moments?

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would have to say nightmare. Given the proliferation of streams at local tournaments today, I would not really want to be on the streaming table either...lol.

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. It would be tough.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be pretty cool. At the point they called you on that table you are "probably" shooting pretty well to become the feature match. Now is the chance to get on video shooting near your peak level and get under the lights and see what it is like for the pros. I think I would be all over that chance.

So you would not be worried at all about "going off line" or "having the wheels come off" in front of all those folks in the stands and creating a permanent record (the DVD, mit commentary) that would be in existence... forever?

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think playing on the TV table would be so bad, its the comments made by people on live streaming that would be a nightmare, people can be brutal, hahaha

If you think the chat might be bad, what about Danny and Freddy calling it like they saw it?

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dream for me
I would love the chance to play 1 Pocket against Grady, Efren, Billy I, Buddy Hall, Scott Frost, Gabe Owen . Cliff Joyner and a bunch of other great players.

Yes, I get that -- playing great players is wonderful. Playing great players in front of a crowd, with cameras recording the event for posterity and pros commenting....

Lou Figueroa