Old
  (#1)
Ironwill
AzB Bronze Member
Ironwill is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

The Ultimate Weapon Shaft - 01-02-2011, 10:42 PM

Howdy

My name is Will and I'm new to these forums. I have a few questions to anyone with enough knowledge and experience to answer. But first allow me to give you my back info so you know how dumb I am

I got my first Cue in 92 while managing a pool hall near home. It was a Mizerack 19 oz snakeskin wrap which I believe retailed for around 250 or so. I have used nothing else in 18 years except this stick, so I have no experience or knowledge of whether the stick sucks or whether it's pretty nice. about 8 years ago in Myrtle Beach, I had a custom shaft made for it. When the guy asked what I was looking for, I told him that the 13 mm (original) just felt bulky and I wanted to be more pin point, so he suggested 11 or 11.5 mm, which worked out great btw. It also had a very hard, thin block tip put on it. Anyhow, I've always noticed that my long shots have a lot of deflection problems.

To get to a conclusion of that story, I quit shooting about 6 years ago, recently started back and have been shooting for bout 2 months again. I tried out a predator shaft on it for maybe 2 games(hardly enough time to tell), but it felt good. Problem was the diameter of the predator was too bulky. Then after internet searching I saw Meucci had this Ultimate Weapon Shaft which is 11.25 mm and supposedly the best against deflection and I'm getting the urge to buy it.

Now with the questions....

1- Does anyone know if Mizerack cues back then were good quality or considered "disposable", cause I have no experience to compare to say Meucci or Joss?

2- Does anyone know anything about that new Meucci shaft the UW? Any review or opinion of it would be awesome.

3- If all was good with the UWS and I got it, should I add it to my Mizerack or should I get a Meucci piston to mate it to? ( I don't have loyalties, likes, or dislikes in namebrands so please throw any opinion out there)

4- If I put a moori tip on that UWS (that is if I got it) which would be the way to go? MED or HARD?

Thanks for any and all responses!

Old
  (#2)
cbi1000
It is what it is...
cbi1000 has a reputation beyond reputecbi1000 has a reputation beyond reputecbi1000 has a reputation beyond reputecbi1000 has a reputation beyond reputecbi1000 has a reputation beyond reputecbi1000 has a reputation beyond reputecbi1000 has a reputation beyond reputecbi1000 has a reputation beyond reputecbi1000 has a reputation beyond reputecbi1000 has a reputation beyond reputecbi1000 has a reputation beyond repute

01-02-2011, 11:54 PM

Welcome,

First, was the predator shaft you played with a 314 or a Z? If it was a 314 then the tip is 12.75mm.

If it felt good, but it's a bit too big then try the Z shaft, it is 11.75.

Craig

Playing Cue: Mike Bender

xpro
Old
  (#3)
Jcat
AzB Silver Member
Jcat has a reputation beyond reputeJcat has a reputation beyond reputeJcat has a reputation beyond reputeJcat has a reputation beyond reputeJcat has a reputation beyond reputeJcat has a reputation beyond reputeJcat has a reputation beyond reputeJcat has a reputation beyond reputeJcat has a reputation beyond reputeJcat has a reputation beyond reputeJcat has a reputation beyond repute

xpro - 01-03-2011, 05:33 AM

contact az member TATE, he is selling the Tiger XPro shaft that is only 11.75 and very low deflection. I have one and love it.

Old
  (#4)
Ironwill
AzB Bronze Member

01-03-2011, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbi1000 View Post
Welcome,

First, was the predator shaft you played with a 314 or a Z? If it was a 314 then the tip is 12.75mm.

If it felt good, but it's a bit too big then try the Z shaft, it is 11.75.

Craig
Yes it was a 314. Have you heard anything good on that Meucci shaft compared to the Z?

Old
  (#5)
Ironwill
AzB Bronze Member

01-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcat View Post
contact az member TATE, he is selling the Tiger XPro shaft that is only 11.75 and very low deflection. I have one and love it.
Onyx tip?? what the hell is that? Never heard of that kind of tip....is it any good?

Old
  (#6)
TATE
The Nipomo Nightmare
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-03-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcat View Post
Thanks JC - appreciate it!

To Will,

It probably is better to get back into the game for awhile and try out different equipment that your friends will have - to see if it suits your game.

The trend has gone to shorter ferrules, layered leather tips, low deflection shafts, etc. but these only make subtle differences that you may (or may not) notice once you get in stroke and get your game grooved.

You can spend a fortune dabbling with equipment. These shafts alone may cost more than many full cues and in some cases the tip costs as much as a house cue!

I can offer information on equipment I am familiar with, but it's impossible to recommend quipment to someone without knowing what their game is like. For example, for the vast majority of players, a standard 18 to 19 ounce two piece cue, 58", with a conventional pro taper shaft 12.5 to 13mm shaft and a Le Pro tip is all they need to play at peak or near peak of their game.

My cue is 18.5", 59" long, with an aftermarket 11.75mm shaft, a stack leather wrap, and a fancy $25 tip. In my hands it feels perfect and allows me to play at peak performance - I love it - but you might think it's terrible and I probably would have agreed a year ago. Maybe I would play at 5% - 10% under my speed with your cue, given a few weeks to adapt - that would be all the difference.

My suggestion is, once you get back in stroke, pick out a nice player's cue in the $400 range that you like that already comes with an LD shaft.

Chris

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#7)
TATE
The Nipomo Nightmare
TATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond reputeTATE has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

01-03-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwill View Post
Onyx tip?? what the hell is that? Never heard of that kind of tip....is it any good?
These are tips from Tiger products. That's what I use and I like it - a layered tip that's expensive.

Chris

Visit my historic cues site:
www.palmercollector.com

Old
  (#8)
Ironwill
AzB Bronze Member

01-03-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATE View Post
Thanks JC - appreciate it!

To Will,

It probably is better to get back into the game for awhile and try out different equipment that your friends will have - to see if it suits your game.

The trend has gone to shorter ferrules, layered leather tips, low deflection shafts, etc. but these only make subtle differences that you may (or may not) notice once you get in stroke and get your game grooved.

You can spend a fortune dabbling with equipment. These shafts alone may cost more than many full cues and in some cases the tip costs as much as a house cue!

I can offer information on equipment I am familiar with, but it's impossible to recommend quipment to someone without knowing what their game is like. For example, for the vast majority of players, a standard 18 to 19 ounce two piece cue, 58", with a conventional pro taper shaft 12.5 to 13mm shaft and a Le Pro tip is all they need to play at peak or near peak of their game.

My cue is 18.5", 59" long, with an aftermarket 11.75mm shaft, a stack leather wrap, and a fancy $25 tip. In my hands it feels perfect and allows me to play at peak performance - I love it - but you might think it's terrible and I probably would have agreed a year ago. Maybe I would play at 5% - 10% under my speed with your cue, given a few weeks to adapt - that would be all the difference.

My suggestion is, once you get back in stroke, pick out a nice player's cue in the $400 range that you like that already comes with an LD shaft.

Chris
Thank ya Chris for the reply. I have my original shaft to that Mizerak coming back today hopefully. Its a 12.75 or 13mm replaced the ferrule, put a moori med on it, so I'll get two days of solid practice on it before a tournament in Charlotte NC Wednesday (lil one $10 entry)

If I cant seem to overcome this deflection frustration I'm gonna be like everyone else and trend to the LD stuff

Old
  (#9)
Drawback
AzB Silver Member
Drawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond repute

03-27-2012, 07:20 PM

I notice quite a difference between my Meucci "Black Dot" shaft and my Predator Z2. The Z2 has less deflection which improves my long-shots game and that's good because I can stack up more wins that way. I'm shooting Kamui Black Softs on each shaft.
I am thinking very seriously about purchasing the UW shaft.

Old
  (#10)
scsuxci
AzB Silver Member
scsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond repute

03-27-2012, 08:00 PM

Stay the F-%k away from the UW shaft.I've seen one and was brand new,warped to shit and the taper was so freakin bad along with the wood,I had to laugh but felt bad for the guy who bought it.It looked like a real bad snooker shaft.I'm a LD fan and have seen some shit pool cues and shafts but this sucker took first place in the poo-poo department.

Old
  (#11)
Drawback
AzB Silver Member
Drawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond reputeDrawback has a reputation beyond repute

03-27-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsuxci View Post
Stay the F-%k away from the UW shaft.I've seen one and was brand new,warped to shit and the taper was so freakin bad along with the wood,I had to laugh but felt bad for the guy who bought it.It looked like a real bad snooker shaft.I'm a LD fan and have seen some shit pool cues and shafts but this sucker took first place in the poo-poo department.
Thanks for your input. Maybe I'll slow down a bit and weigh the evidence a little more before I spend that kind of money.

Old
  (#12)
scsuxci
AzB Silver Member
scsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond reputescsuxci has a reputation beyond repute

03-28-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawback View Post
Thanks for your input. Maybe I'll slow down a bit and weigh the evidence a little more before I spend that kind of money.
I wouldn't lie to you,and wouldn't want anyone to have the disappointment this guy had when he got his.Goodluck though

Old
  (#13)
West Point 1987
On the Hill, Out of Gas
West Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond reputeWest Point 1987 has a reputation beyond repute

03-28-2012, 06:44 PM

Don't get wrapped around the axle over "LD"...ALL shafts deflect (even "LD" shafts) some more or less than others. By all means, give them a try, but I wouldn't spend all my time and extra money chasing them for a while, yet.

Mizerak had his name on alot of cues...some were real junk, some not so bad...if you paid a couple of hundred, it's probably one of the better made Asian imports that were out there back in the early 90s. I think even Adam made some for a while, but I could be wrong. Not necessarily a bad cue, but If I were you, I'd go ahead and pick up a nice McDermott or even a Joss. They shoot great right off the rack and don't cost a whole lot more than one of the LD shafts you're looking to hang on your Mizerak cue; and you can take your time and try several different LD shafts as you run across them and make an informed decision on whether one would even benefit you (they're not for everyone, a lot of folks play their best with stock maple). For example, you might find that while an LD shaft might give you a little more accuracy (forgiveness on stroke error) it might not have nearly as much juice/action on the cue ball, so more difficult to control the CB.

Bill "Woodeye" Woods
What's in my (Instroke) Case?
Playing Cue: -R- 26 1/2 Tribute cue w/Gulyassy SPTX Shaft
Jump/Break: McDermott Stinger NGO1

Other Cues Owned:
Schon SL19/STL17 (retired, again )
Joss J15 (stolen)
Joss J11 (was a break cue for 15 years, now my son's player)
McDermott D-8 (sold, 1989)
McDermott D-23 (sold, 1991)
McDermott D-6 (sold, 1990)
GEM (Gary Medlin) Szambotti Tribute (retired)

Old
  (#14)
santamaria
Wrapless pls ;)
santamaria has a reputation beyond reputesantamaria has a reputation beyond reputesantamaria has a reputation beyond reputesantamaria has a reputation beyond reputesantamaria has a reputation beyond reputesantamaria has a reputation beyond reputesantamaria has a reputation beyond reputesantamaria has a reputation beyond reputesantamaria has a reputation beyond reputesantamaria has a reputation beyond reputesantamaria has a reputation beyond repute

04-04-2012, 12:54 AM

[QUOTE=West Point 1987;3524506]Don't get wrapped around the axle over "LD"...ALL shafts deflect (even "LD" shafts) some more or less than others. By all means, give them a try, but I wouldn't spend all my time and extra money chasing them for a while, yet.

i agree with this

Shooting cue: Roger Pettit 211 Club Titlist
Break cue: Dave Jones
Jump cue: Roger Pettit up and down butterfly.
Case: 2x4 It's George
Table time: next to none

UW a step up from Black Dot!
Old
  (#15)
Drawback
AzB Silver Member

UW a step up from Black Dot! - 10-31-2012, 09:27 AM

I went ahead and bought the UW shaft after all. I love it. I can barely notice the difference between it and my Black Dots on all the short stuff, but the long shots where I'm using sidespin on the cue have improved markedly. To me, that's what I paid for. My Meucci butt has behaved flawlessly and I love both shafts I now have for it.
If I were a pro, I'd do what the Pro's do and buy what they buy. I shoot several hours a day (3 sometimes 4 hours or more) and like I said, the UW is a step up for me.

Last edited by Drawback; 10-31-2012 at 09:28 AM. Reason: to insert the word "hours"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: