simonis stretch pattern....glue / staples

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
Thats the best way but as for why and why not look at the original style of install at championships website or simmonis if it there you finish in the side pocket and sometimes you have to mich cloth to get rid of.

Craig

poolfitkids

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats the best way but as for why and why not look at the original style of install at championships website or simmonis if it there you finish in the side pocket and sometimes you have to mich cloth to get rid of.

Craig

If you measure the slack each time for the side pockets wouldn't that fix having to much cloth to get rid of?

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great ...my other question is how wide is that template piece of wood he uses to mark the stretch line is it 2.5" or 3" .....i know I heard that RKC used to stretch 3" but now is 2.5" because of a change in the simonis ....

thanks for the info though ....I was thinking about it as I watched the video and was thinking why should this matter if it is staples or glue, the guy is stretching it perfectly ....

reverend

Table Mechanic
Silver Member
Great ...my other question is how wide is that template piece of wood he uses to mark the stretch line is it 2.5" or 3" .....i know I heard that RKC used to stretch 3" but now is 2.5" because of a change in the simonis ....

thanks for the info though ....I was thinking about it as I watched the video and was thinking why should this matter if it is staples or glue, the guy is stretching it perfectly ....

It really depends on the weave of the Simonis, and your physical ability. Side to side, stretch it as far as you can, then back off just a little. Then mark where you stretched to before you put your glue down. Then thats where you stretch to when the glue is in place. That strip of wood/cardboard is nice in a production environment, but not necessary for 1 table. You can just measure and mark.

matteroner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
okay ......my other question is I have made a diagram of this pattern and I just don't see where he attaches the first short rail or what I would assume is the head rail. I would assume it is right after the first long rail that he does ..probably anchoring it in the corner that he last stapled on the long rail and then moving over towards the corner of the 2nd long rail that he does.....but he doesn't anchor that corner probably stops in the middle of the short rail so that he can move to the side pocket on the 2nd long rail....

i hope that makes sense ....it is hard to describe video's in words ....

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
If you measure the slack each time for the side pockets wouldn't that fix having to much cloth to get rid of?

I was talking about the old style of cloth installs If a rookie where to follow one of the guides on the internet and not the Glen,diamond simmonis way you could end up with headaches.

Everyone does it different Some do pockets first then strech.
Another does long rail first then pockets then short rails.
another staple middles of all rails with 5 staples then do pockets and finish strech the rest of the rails.

The classic is spray a cross hatch on the playing service then laydown cloth with next to no stretch. table sounded like a railrod track click click lick thunk click click clik thunk.

How would you install a 8 foot rip of cloth onto a pro 8 table? 2 hour drive to a supplier that might have 860 electric blue in stock. And you left your glue at home because sub doesnt belive in glue downs only staples.

Dartman

Silver Member
okay ......my other question is I have made a diagram of this pattern and I just don't see where he attaches the first short rail or what I would assume is the head rail. ....

Both long rails are done first - then the end rails.
Shown in part 2 starting at about the 2:00 mark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arYF5YqgW7Q&feature=related

Here's the trick for starting at the side pockets.
Think Yoda uses a 5/8" index but I prefer 1/2"

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited: