Chuck Starkey Tulipwood Plain Jane

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
Well, just got a Chuck Starkey Tulipwood Plain Jane from Sev.

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

CUE APPEARANCE
Good looking cue with nice balance between wood colors and the brown phenolic parts. Love the wood pin. This really adds to the feel of the cue. It is hard to explain why. The wood pin goes into a bacote(I think) insert which should be self lubricating, but I added some wax for extra.

The tulipwood has a nice figure to it which is what really makes this cue for me.

The only negatives are under the finish on the forearm, there is a substantial dent(but not worth the refinish to repair) and some weird under the finish marks on the joint color. Not too bad but worse than my custom cue buying experiences lead me to believe is normal.

CUE HIT
This is what it is all about and this cue feels good to me. It has a nice solid hit to me. Pretty stiff. Stiff enough that it has more deflection than I expect based on my current player, but it is about the same as my sneaky pete. Overall, it has a nice hit which lets this 18oz(guessing) cue power whitey around as well as my 20oz player.

THE DEAL
I bought this cue from Sev. He was great to deal with. Quick communication, quick to ship. He didn't hassle me about shipping to Japan. I know some members have had trouble getting stuff shipped outside the USA, but Sev was great. It was packed well enough that they could have just dropped it into my balcony without damage from the plane on a flyover! No issues there.

USPS did their part and someone in Japan decided they wanted to fleece me for another 1500 yen to line their pockets with(without looking at the cue) to finish the deal. I guess that is better than opening it and damaging or borrowing it. . .Still, we had to call to get it put back in the delivery loop at JP Post.

That's all for now.

Anyone make JP's for these big wood pins. . .Maybe no need.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you did well. I would call chuck for joint protectors.
Well, just got a Chuck Starkey Tulipwood Plain Jane from Sev.

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

CUE APPEARANCE
Good looking cue with nice balance between wood colors and the brown phenolic parts. Love the wood pin. This really adds to the feel of the cue. It is hard to explain why. The wood pin goes into a bacote(I think) insert which should be self lubricating, but I added some wax for extra.

The tulipwood has a nice figure to it which is what really makes this cue for me.

The only negatives are under the finish on the forearm, there is a substantial dent(but not worth the refinish to repair) and some weird under the finish marks on the joint color. Not too bad but worse than my custom cue buying experiences lead me to believe is normal.

CUE HIT
This is what it is all about and this cue feels good to me. It has a nice solid hit to me. Pretty stiff. Stiff enough that it has more deflection than I expect based on my current player, but it is about the same as my sneaky pete. Overall, it has a nice hit which lets this 18oz(guessing) cue power whitey around as well as my 20oz player.

THE DEAL
I bought this cue from Sev. He was great to deal with. Quick communication, quick to ship. He didn't hassle me about shipping to Japan. I know some members have had trouble getting stuff shipped outside the USA, but Sev was great. It was packed well enough that they could have just dropped it into my balcony without damage from the plane on a flyover! No issues there.

USPS did their part and someone in Japan decided they wanted to fleece me for another 1500 yen to line their pockets with(without looking at the cue) to finish the deal. I guess that is better than opening it and damaging or borrowing it. . .Still, we had to call to get it put back in the delivery loop at JP Post.

That's all for now.

nksmfamjp

Refugee...
Silver Member
I did. He said, no thank you. . .

I can understand. Lot's of cuemakers would prefer not to do them and the might be overkill on a big pin.

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
too much time involved

its much easier to just grab a $2.00 steel pin and metal insert than to use the wood pin. it takes me about 4 hrs longer using the wood pin, as i hand file each one for the fit i want on each cue. no two cues are exactly alike and the shafts are not interchangeable.
i can build joint protectors, but most do not want to pay the 4 hrs extra labor. of the hundred or so wood pin cues i have sold i have not heard of any problems by not having joint protectors.

chuck starkey

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member

Nice looking cue! I don't think you'll need joint protectors.

its much easier to just grab a $2.00 steel pin and metal insert than to use the wood pin. it takes me about 4 hrs longer using the wood pin, as i hand file each one for the fit i want on each cue. no two cues are exactly alike and the shafts are not interchangeable.
i can build joint protectors, but most do not want to pay the 4 hrs extra labor. of the hundred or so wood pin cues i have sold i have not heard of any problems by not having joint protectors.

chuck starkey

To confirm what Chuck has written: I have one of those Starkey wood pin cues and haven't had a need for joint protectors. The cue is either tucked away in my case or assembled and ready to play.

One advantage of not having joint protectors is that when my case is open and the wood pin is clearly visible, some players (esp. 3C players) will ask about it. The pin is a conversation starter.