Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Critique of "Dr." Dave's Review of CTE/Pro One
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Critique of "Dr." Dave's Review of CTE/Pro One
Old
  (#1)
Murdoch7627
Frank Reid aka "Fly Man"
Murdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Critique of "Dr." Dave's Review of CTE/Pro One - 02-20-2011, 06:15 PM

A Critique of Dr. Dave’s Review of Stan Shuffett’s CTE/Pro One Aiming System

I find Dr. Dave’s review of Stan Shuffett’s CTE/Pro One aiming system to be poor at best lacking in the most elementary concepts of research and the utilization of key source data. Dr. Dave states that he used two sources for his write up – Stan’s CTE/Pro One Aiming System DVD and ”many posts in recent CTE and Pro One threads” on AZ. The glaring omission in the source data he used is, of course, Stan Shuffett who publicly announced he was available for discussion or answering questions on CTE/Pro One. If Dave’s paper were being graded by any college professor I believe Dave would get an F on the paper due to poor utilization or lack or proper utilization of the sources available. Now if the three sources available to Dave are the DVD, threads on AZ, and Stan Shuffett and if the objective is to get the most knowledge possible before writing a review on the CTE/Pro One Aiming System which source would be the best to use? Doesn’t take a PhD to figure this one out does it? It’s the one David totally ignored. Remember, Dave is not writing a report on the DVD and if it is good or bad or if it gets the points of CTE/Pro One to the viewers accurately and concisely. He states he is reviewing the CTE/Pro One aiming system itself so the DVD is just one source for this information. The only possible reason for not contacting Stan would be if Dave thought that the DVD was so good that it completely and clearly explained CTE/Pro One and that, hence, contacting the primary source would yield no additional information. From Dave comments on the DVD this does not appear to be the case.

Did Dr. Dave “do his best” as he states? I don’t think so. I sure hope that was not his best. Was this an “accurate and fair description” as Dr. Dave states? I think the key word here is fair. What can “fair” mean other than fair to the person whose work he is reviewing, namely Stan Shuffett? Once again the answer is a resounding no it was not fair as he did not once contact Stan.

Sorry Dave, you do indeed get an overall F on your write-up due to extremely poor use of the sources available. Now no one thinks that Dave is anything but a very smart person. But the way he handled this evaluation makes one wonder if he had some other agenda going on in his head. Could it be “Professional Jealously” that San solved the CTE mystery before he did? Or is it just some ego thing that Dave thinks if Stan gets credit for his knowledge people might think he is the number one instructor in the US and not Dave. One wonders.

And now even today Dave is posting his questions on AZ. Come on Dave, you can’t be that stupid. If you really wanted answers you’d be talking to Stan not those on AZ. It’s really very clear that you are just trying to muddy the waters. You’re too transparent on this. Got real questions, call Stan. Want to cause problems, ask them on AZ. I, for one, am very disappointed in Dave. I may sell my Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (which, by the way, is very good) only because I am losing respect for Dave very quickly.

Old
  (#2)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdoch7627 View Post
A Critique of Dr. Dave’s Review of Stan Shuffett’s CTE/Pro One Aiming System

I find Dr. Dave’s review of Stan Shuffett’s CTE/Pro One aiming system to be poor at best lacking in the most elementary concepts of research and the utilization of key source data. Dr. Dave states that he used two sources for his write up – Stan’s CTE/Pro One Aiming System DVD and ”many posts in recent CTE and Pro One threads” on AZ. The glaring omission in the source data he used is, of course, Stan Shuffett who publicly announced he was available for discussion or answering questions on CTE/Pro One. If Dave’s paper were being graded by any college professor I believe Dave would get an F on the paper due to poor utilization or lack or proper utilization of the sources available. Now if the three sources available to Dave are the DVD, threads on AZ, and Stan Shuffett and if the objective is to get the most knowledge possible before writing a review on the CTE/Pro One Aiming System which source would be the best to use? Doesn’t take a PhD to figure this one out does it? It’s the one David totally ignored. Remember, Dave is not writing a report on the DVD and if it is good or bad or if it gets the points of CTE/Pro One to the viewers accurately and concisely. He states he is reviewing the CTE/Pro One aiming system itself so the DVD is just one source for this information. The only possible reason for not contacting Stan would be if Dave thought that the DVD was so good that it completely and clearly explained CTE/Pro One and that, hence, contacting the primary source would yield no additional information. From Dave comments on the DVD this does not appear to be the case.

Did Dr. Dave “do his best” as he states? I don’t think so. I sure hope that was not his best. Was this an “accurate and fair description” as Dr. Dave states? I think the key word here is fair. What can “fair” mean other than fair to the person whose work he is reviewing, namely Stan Shuffett? Once again the answer is a resounding no it was not fair as he did not once contact Stan.

Sorry Dave, you do indeed get an overall F on your write-up due to extremely poor use of the sources available. Now no one thinks that Dave is anything but a very smart person. But the way he handled this evaluation makes one wonder if he had some other agenda going on in his head. Could it be “Professional Jealously” that San solved the CTE mystery before he did? Or is it just some ego thing that Dave thinks if Stan gets credit for his knowledge people might think he is the number one instructor in the US and not Dave. One wonders.

And now even today Dave is posting his questions on AZ. Come on Dave, you can’t be that stupid. If you really wanted answers you’d be talking to Stan not those on AZ. It’s really very clear that you are just trying to muddy the waters. You’re too transparent on this. Got real questions, call Stan. Want to cause problems, ask them on AZ. I, for one, am very disappointed in Dave. I may sell my Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (which, by the way, is very good) only because I am losing respect for Dave very quickly.

For months -- as we all waited with bait on our breathes, for the production, editing, reproduction, copyright protected release and shipping of the DVD -- it was told to the great unwashed masses that the DVD would "stand alone" (by Stan hisself) and answer all questions. It would be The Rosetta Stone, The Missing Link, and the look inside Area 51 (there might have been mention of Big Foot DNA), we have all been waiting for and talking past each other on for years. "Just you wait Henry Higgins, just you wait!" we were all told repeatedly by the CTE Monkeys.

Why should anyone need to call Stan when the Stone Tablets have been shipped and bought directly from The Mountain Top?

Lou Figueroa
back in the saddle
again :-)

Last edited by lfigueroa; 02-20-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Old
  (#3)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
For months -- as we all waited with bait on our breathes, for the production, editing, reproduction, copyright protected release and shipping of the DVD -- it was told to the great unwashed masses that the DVD would "stand alone" (by Stan hisself) and answer all questions. It would be The Rosetta Stone, The Missing Link, and the look inside Area 51 (there might have been mention of Big Foot DNA), we have all been waiting for and talking past each other on for years. "Just you wait Henry Higgins, just you wait!" we were all told repeatedly by the CTE Monkeys.

Why should anyone need to call Stan when the Stone Tablets have been shipped and bought directly from The Mountain Top?

Lou Figueroa
back in the saddle
again :-)
And we wait with bait on our breaths for your review,WHY? I believe you and PJ wrote the review as soon as you found out Stan was making the dvd. Some minds have been made up for years and to go in the other direction now would hurt them way too much. Lou is back in the saddle, but he should be eating instead.

Old
  (#4)
champ2107
Banned
champ2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond reputechamp2107 has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2011, 06:53 PM

i didnt really see it as a review but more like he had questions and was looking for answers? my opinion.

Critique of the critique of the review
Old
  (#5)
TimmyB80
AzB Silver Member
TimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to TimmyB80  
Critique of the critique of the review - 02-20-2011, 07:12 PM

Thank God! I was waiting (finally) for a critique of "Dr." Dave's review!! Here it is! Why is Dr. is parenthesis? Does he not hold a PhD is Physics or something? As far as your review... who cares? Why would you start a new thread based on someones review? Maybe I should start a thread about your critique! You might want to consider starting another thread based on this post...

Old
  (#6)
GeoEnvi
Diamond System Enthusiast
GeoEnvi has a reputation beyond reputeGeoEnvi has a reputation beyond reputeGeoEnvi has a reputation beyond reputeGeoEnvi has a reputation beyond reputeGeoEnvi has a reputation beyond reputeGeoEnvi has a reputation beyond reputeGeoEnvi has a reputation beyond reputeGeoEnvi has a reputation beyond reputeGeoEnvi has a reputation beyond reputeGeoEnvi has a reputation beyond reputeGeoEnvi has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2011, 07:53 PM

That Murdoch titles his post with quotes around Dr is reason enough NOT to listen to a word said therein.

Not only is Dr. Dave a PhD, but he also happens to be a wealth of knowledge on the physics behind pool. From what I can tell, it's his love for the game and pursuit of intellect that drives his efforts to educate anyone that cares enough to learn more about billiards. It's not as Murdoch suggests: a self-serving desire for the notoriety of having debunked CTE, or to sell more VEPS.

Old
  (#7)
xdy77
Banned
xdy77 has a reputation beyond reputexdy77 has a reputation beyond reputexdy77 has a reputation beyond reputexdy77 has a reputation beyond reputexdy77 has a reputation beyond reputexdy77 has a reputation beyond reputexdy77 has a reputation beyond reputexdy77 has a reputation beyond reputexdy77 has a reputation beyond reputexdy77 has a reputation beyond reputexdy77 has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB80 View Post
Thank God! I was waiting (finally) for a critique of "Dr." Dave's review!! Here it is! Why is Dr. is parenthesis? Does he not hold a PhD is Physics or something? As far as your review... who cares? Why would you start a new thread based on someones review? Maybe I should start a thread about your critique! You might want to consider starting another thread based on this post...

And when did you get anointed as the chief of the "Thread Police"....?
If you don't like what you see here, there is a very easy solution.
EUREKA! DO NOT READ IT.

Old
  (#8)
PoolSharkAllen
AzB Silver Member
PoolSharkAllen has a reputation beyond reputePoolSharkAllen has a reputation beyond reputePoolSharkAllen has a reputation beyond reputePoolSharkAllen has a reputation beyond reputePoolSharkAllen has a reputation beyond reputePoolSharkAllen has a reputation beyond reputePoolSharkAllen has a reputation beyond reputePoolSharkAllen has a reputation beyond reputePoolSharkAllen has a reputation beyond reputePoolSharkAllen has a reputation beyond reputePoolSharkAllen has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murdoch7627 View Post
If Dave’s paper were being graded by any college professor I believe Dave would get an F on the paper due to poor utilization or lack or proper utilization of the sources available.

And now even today Dave is posting his questions on AZ.
Stan opened a PRO ONE thread with the specific intent of answering any questions that people had about his DVD. So with all the questions that Dr. Dave and other posters had about PRO ONE, Stan has managed to respond just three times to people's questions.

Last edited by PoolSharkAllen; 02-21-2011 at 06:01 AM.

Old
  (#9)
shankster8
AzB Silver Member
shankster8 has a reputation beyond reputeshankster8 has a reputation beyond reputeshankster8 has a reputation beyond reputeshankster8 has a reputation beyond reputeshankster8 has a reputation beyond reputeshankster8 has a reputation beyond reputeshankster8 has a reputation beyond reputeshankster8 has a reputation beyond reputeshankster8 has a reputation beyond reputeshankster8 has a reputation beyond reputeshankster8 has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ2107 View Post
i didnt really see it as a review but more like he had questions and was looking for answers? my opinion.
Good post Champ. That is the same way I see things. Dave asked some very specific questions, and everyone dove for cover or bad-mouthed, rather than answer. It is clear to me that Dr. Dave is being very gentle and respectful of everyone, including Stan.

And Murdink, is there a reason Stan cannot reply to Dr. Dave's posts? Didn't Stan start the thread saying he was answering questions? Perhaps Dr. Dave should have prefaced his questions with "Dear Stan"?

Finally, IMO, Dr. Dave's little table and few lines of narrative are probably the best aids to date for deciphering Stan's DVD. Wasn't the purpose of the DVD to explain the method. Well, based on the mass confusion evidenced in this forum, it didn't accomplish that. So, instead of whining, I suggest CTEr's answer Dr. Dave's questions; maybe he can clear things up.

I can promise you that the limited ProOne/CTE information Dr. Dave put up will not deter anyone from purchasing Stan's DVD who seriously wants to learn ProOne. In fact, Dave's little tidbits stand to salvage what some might otherwise consider a questionable investment, IMO

And I mean no offense to Stan. I realize he put his heart into this. But like Figueroa pointed out, this was supposed to be the holy grail.

Last edited by shankster8; 02-20-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: added word "out" in last line

Old
  (#10)
Nick B
This is gonna hurt
Nick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond reputeNick B has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Perfect. Well thought out and articulated.

I think Dr. Dave has made every effort to "wrap his mind around the concept" and illustrate what he and others have grasped on the topic.

Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankster8 View Post
Good post Champ. That is the same way I see things. Dave asked some very specific questions, and everyone dove for cover or bad-mouthed, rather than answer. It is clear to me that Dr. Dave is being very gentle and respectful of everyone, including Stan.

And Murdink, is there a reason Stan cannot reply to Dr. Dave's posts? Didn't Stan start the thread saying he was answering questions? Perhaps Dr. Dave should have prefaced his questions with "Dear Stan"?

Finally, IMO, Dr. Dave's little table and few lines of narrative are probably the best aids to date for deciphering Stan's DVD. Wasn't the purpose of the DVD to explain the method. Well, based on the mass confusion evidenced in this forum, it didn't accomplish that. So, instead of whining, I suggest CTEr's answer Dr. Dave's questions; maybe he can clear things up.

I can promise you that the limited ProOne/CTE information Dr. Dave put up will not deter anyone from purchasing Stan's DVD who seriously wants to learn ProOne. In fact, Dave's little tidbits stand to salvage what some might otherwise consider a questionable investment, IMO

And I mean no offense to Stan. I realize he put his heart into this. But like Figueroa pointed this was supposed to be the holy grail.

Cue: Foster, Break/Jump: Foster
http://www.fostercues.com/
Name: Nick Beretanos

Old
  (#11)
TimmyB80
AzB Silver Member
TimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond reputeTimmyB80 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to TimmyB80  
02-20-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdy77 View Post
[/COLOR]
And when did you get anointed as the chief of the "Thread Police"....?
If you don't like what you see here, there is a very easy solution.
EUREKA! DO NOT READ IT.
This isn't the first time I have been told not to read something I did not like.

When I figure out how that works, you will be the first person I PM!

I had to comment when I saw the OP putting someone's salutation in quotes... as though it is made up. When you spend 7+ years in college and someone calls you a "Dr." I will be sure to jump on them for you

Old
  (#12)
pablocruz
AzB Silver Member
pablocruz has a reputation beyond reputepablocruz has a reputation beyond reputepablocruz has a reputation beyond reputepablocruz has a reputation beyond reputepablocruz has a reputation beyond reputepablocruz has a reputation beyond reputepablocruz has a reputation beyond reputepablocruz has a reputation beyond reputepablocruz has a reputation beyond reputepablocruz has a reputation beyond reputepablocruz has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB80 View Post
This isn't the first time I have been told not to read something I did not like.

When I figure out how that works, you will be the first person I PM!

I had to comment when I saw the OP putting someone's salutation in quotes... as though it is made up. When you spend 7+ years in college and someone calls you a "Dr." I will be sure to jump on them for you
Let's call a spade a spade!! "Dr." Dave = Literary Theft!!

Critique of Murdoch 7627's Critique of "Dr." Dave's Review
Old
  (#13)
ChazL
AzB Silver Member
ChazL has a reputation beyond reputeChazL has a reputation beyond reputeChazL has a reputation beyond reputeChazL has a reputation beyond reputeChazL has a reputation beyond reputeChazL has a reputation beyond reputeChazL has a reputation beyond reputeChazL has a reputation beyond reputeChazL has a reputation beyond reputeChazL has a reputation beyond reputeChazL has a reputation beyond repute

Critique of Murdoch 7627's Critique of "Dr." Dave's Review - 02-20-2011, 11:49 PM

Dr. Dave certainly doesn't need me to fight his fights for him, but a point must be made here.

When an academic reviews the work of another, the reviewer will typically limit his research and analysis to published work. This is done so that the readers of the review can directly access the work in question, and can independently reach their own conclusions as to the quality and fairness of the review.

While our discussions of aiming systems here don't rise to the level where these standards must be strictly applied, neither can Dave be faulted for for not doing enough to gain greater insights. As Lou pointed out, we were told that the DVD would "stand alone" to give us a comprehensive explanation of the Pro One aiming system. There's nothing unreasonable in expecting that this promise would be fulfilled.

And no, it's also not unreasonable to expect the defenders of Pro One to answer the questions that Dave has posted on these forums.

Last edited by ChazL; 02-20-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Old
  (#14)
Luxury
AzB Silver Member
Luxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300
  Send a message via Yahoo to Luxury  
02-21-2011, 01:40 AM

I asked Stan very politely for a refund and he responded that he was not.

Old
  (#15)
Murdoch7627
Frank Reid aka "Fly Man"
Murdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond reputeMurdoch7627 has a reputation beyond repute

02-21-2011, 03:39 AM

[QUOTE=PoolSharkAllen;2871794]Stan opened a PRO ONE thread with the specific intent of answering any questions that people had about his DVD. So with all the questions that Dr. Dave and other posters had about PRO ONE, Stan has managed to respond just three times to people's questions.

Maybe you should learn to read. Stan did NOT open a thread to start answering questions on AZ. He gave his phone number and said he would be available to take calls to answer questions. Once again we have the "twisting" of the truth.
This time by the Pool Shark.

Last edited by Murdoch7627; 02-21-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: