Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Cincinnati "Clem" Metz passes.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Cincinnati "Clem" Metz passes.
Old
  (#1)
cuesmith
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
cuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond reputecuesmith has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500
  Send a message via Yahoo to cuesmith  
Cincinnati "Clem" Metz passes. - 05-05-2011, 07:13 AM

I don't have any details yet, I'll try to post more when I get thembut I just got a call from a good friend telling me that Cincinnati Eugene "Clem" Metz one of the undisputed best one pocket players of all times passed away. He strictly a "road agent", never playing in a pool tournament but often relieving the winners of their purse after the tournament was over. I once asked Marshall "Squirrel" Carpenter how he ranked Clem's game since they were of the same era, and Squirrel told me "You know, at one point I thought I could beat anyone in the world playing one pocket, EXCEPT Clem! That's about as high of praise as you can get when it comes to playing the game. Anyone have any Clem stories, post them here.

Sherm

just more hot air!

Sherm

Sherm Custom Billiard Cues
cuesmith@ymail.com
Sort of retired!

Old
  (#2)
JAM
AzB Gold Member
JAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond reputeJAM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 325

05-05-2011, 07:14 AM

So sad. Thanks for letting the pool world know about the passing of a legend. RIP, Cincinnati Clem!

Jersey Red's Clem story
Old
  (#3)
freddy the beard
Freddy Bentivegna
freddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond reputefreddy the beard has a reputation beyond repute

Jersey Red's Clem story - 05-05-2011, 07:31 AM

Eugene "Cincinnati Clem" Metz might have been the toughest safety player of them all. Jersey Red told the story of when Clem was playing "Connecticut Johnny" Vives (winner of the first Johnston City One-Pocket tournament). Clem and Vives had been playing for many hours. Vives had been on a starvation shot-diet, getting nothing good to shoot at during the whole session. Clem was squeezing him like a python.
Finally, Vives spots Clem looking up-table at a long bank shot. It looked like Clem was finally going to leave Vives far away, but at least leave a shot toward Johnny's pocket.
Vives nudged Jersey Red as if to say, "Lookie here, Clem is going to finally loosen up and give me a shot at my hole." Vives's hopes were soon dashed when Clem shot up-table at the long bank and drew the cue ball back into the stack!

Beard

Bank on, brother!

100s of pgs of pool goodness on my site
www.bankingwiththebeard.com

Old
  (#4)
richiebalto
AzB Silver Member
richiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond reputerichiebalto has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy the beard View Post
Eugene "Cincinnati Clem" Metz might have been the toughest safety player of them all. Jersey Red told the story of when Clem was playing "Connecticut Johnny" Vives (winner of the first Johnston City One-Pocket tournament). Clem and Vives had been playing for many hours. Vives had been on a starvation shot-diet, getting nothing good to shoot at during the whole session. Clem was squeezing him like a python.
Finally, Vives spots Clem looking up-table at a long bank shot. It looked like Clem was finally going to leave Vives far away, but at least leave a shot toward Johnny's pocket.
Vives nudged Jersey Red as if to say, "Lookie here, Clem is going to finally loosen up and give me a shot at my hole." Vives's hopes were soon dashed when Clem shot up-table at the long bank and drew the cue ball back into the stack!

Beard
You guys were the best back then!things(great players gambling against each other) just dont happen now like they did back then!

Old
  (#5)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2011, 11:23 AM

And another legend leaves us RIP Clem.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ldhxbll58urg18z

Old
  (#6)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

05-05-2011, 11:39 AM

There are tons of other stories about Clem that will probably come out in someone's 'tales of the road' book, now that Clem has passed.

Clem was, indeed a great one pocket player, but also played other games (besides pool) very well. I am sure the details will surface soon enough. Clem was a very colorful Cincinnati native. If you knew anything about pool in Cincinnati, you knew the name CLEM METZ.

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 49 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 20+

Old
  (#7)
Mr441
AzB Silver Member
Mr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond reputeMr441 has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2011, 11:52 AM

They say he was particularly tough on a 5 x 10 table. He'd leave the cueball frozen to the other side of the pack so the opponent was always stretching to play a safety, the extra few inches on the 5 x 10 made it really tough.

Old
  (#8)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Hmmmm. My last name is Metz and my dad was from western Pennsylvania (Rochester). I wonder if it's possible that I could be a distant relative of his?

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Willie Speed custom 60", Jacoby D11 w/314-2, JD custom
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Tadpole jump cue, Jacoby jump cue
Case: 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#9)
Black-Balled
The Bloody Pit is Pleased
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Hmmmm. My last name is Metz and my dad was from western Pennsylvania (Rochester). I wonder if it's possible that I could be a distant relative of his?

Maniac
You're not. I heard you think duck's a bird.

There is no beauty here, just the stench of wine and beer.

my program will expose interns to experienced trainers.
Death and hatred to mankind, poisoning their brainwashed minds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
Posters on Az tell me that pictures confuse them,
and that is why they love to buy from me
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast View Post
...he loves pool, but he lost his love for pool halfway through the one pocket...

Old
  (#10)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2011, 02:00 PM

A little historical note. Rags (John Fitzpatrick) and Clem were considered the two best One Pocket players in the country in the 50's. After Rags died in 1960, Clem was numero uno until Ronnie emerged in the mid 60's as the new One Pocket king. Clem had his moment in the sun, when he was the top dog. To this day, he is considered one of the greatest proponents of One Pocket of all time. This is not from any record book, just from the lips of the players who knew him, and played him.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order Pool Wars

Story and picture
Old
  (#11)
Ed Wiggins
AzB Silver Member
Ed Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond reputeEd Wiggins has a reputation beyond repute

Story and picture - 05-05-2011, 02:58 PM

For a good story and pictures of Clem, check Tom Shaw's "Legends of the Road" in the October, 2008 issue of Pool & Billiards magazine.

EW

Old
  (#12)
steveinflorida
steveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond reputesteveinflorida has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2011, 03:52 PM

Sadly we have lost yet another one. RIP Clem.

STEVE PRICE
Case Maker

Ph. 727 442 0075

Old
  (#13)
rossaroni
AzB Gold Member
rossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond reputerossaroni has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 7175

05-05-2011, 04:08 PM

RIP to Clem.

I might have overlooked it, but Clem is not in the One Pocket Hall of Fame.

Old
  (#14)
Tom In Cincy
AKA SactownTom
Tom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond reputeTom In Cincy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1140

05-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossaroni View Post
RIP to Clem.

I might have overlooked it, but Clem is not in the One Pocket Hall of Fame.

Mr. Metz is not in the One Pocket.ORG Hall of Fame. But, he's been on the ballot for quite awhile.

Last year's vote, this year's induction

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4484

"In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves." From Jennifer

Just remember all posts are, of course... In My Humble Opinion
Age= Been Playing since I was 17... 49 years ago
Cue = Pete Ohmen (Melbourne, FL) www.omencues.com
Hours of Play per week = 20+

Old
  (#15)
Bobby
AzB Silver Member
Bobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond reputeBobby has a reputation beyond repute

05-05-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
A little historical note. Rags (John Fitzpatrick) and Clem were considered the two best One Pocket players in the country in the 50's. After Rags died in 1960, Clem was numero uno until Ronnie emerged in the mid 60's as the new One Pocket king. Clem had his moment in the sun, when he was the top dog. To this day, he is considered one of the greatest proponents of One Pocket of all time. This is not from any record book, just from the lips of the players who knew him, and played him.
I've heard pretty much the same thing about Clem from more than one old-time pro. The only difference is that they say Hayden Lingo was the best followed by Clem and Rags tied for second and then Eddie Taylor just a shade under them. I got the feeling that they were talking about one pocket on the 10' table though, on the 9' tables it seems Ronnie Allen was king.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: